Joan of Arcadia

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

ST88
Site Supporter

Joan of Arcadia

Post #1

Post by ST88 »

I have been watching the TV show "Joan of Arcadia," and I find it to be a great, well-written, well-acted show about a teenage girl who talks to God. It has its moments of forced humor and forced angst, but in general it's done very well.

Still, I always get the uncomfortable feeling that I'm being preached to -- not that that's always a bad thing, but only that the modern standard of what we would hope God to be is being applied, not the Biblical standard. This seems disingenuous if only because the show regularly skirts issues surrounding the Biblical nature of God and what can and can't be said about God's past actions. Though the human drama is excellent, this part of the religious discussion seems delibarately unfocused.

For any of you who have seen it, do you have the same reaction, or is this an agnostic bias on my part?

Also, how do you feel about the series as a whole?

The Hungry Atheist
Apprentice

Post #2

Post by The Hungry Atheist »

I'm a big fan of this show. I'm an atheist, but I find myself agreeing with a lot of its philosophy (though maybe not so much of the theology) and those bits I do disagree with rarely stop me enjoying what I think is still wonderful writing.

One of the things I actually quite liked about it was that it doesn't seem to be specifically about Christianity - I remember God mentioning at some point that he comes across as rather more easy-going in the New Testament and the Koran than the OT. It doesn't generally seem that preachy to me, I don't think it's really trying to convince me of anything in particular, or maybe I'm just enjoying the rest of it too much to notice.