Did you know?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

BigChrisfilm
Apprentice

Did you know?

Post #1

Post by BigChrisfilm »

Did you know that Atheism is a religion?

Wyvern
Under Probation

Re: Did you know?

Post #2

Post by Wyvern »

BigChrisfilm wrote:Did you know that Atheism is a religion?
Really?? What transcendant supernatural creature that created everything do they believe in?

BigChrisfilm
Apprentice

Post #3

Post by BigChrisfilm »

Wyvern wrote:
Really?? What transcendant supernatural creature that created everything do they believe in?
They believe there is no God. That is a belief, based on faith.

Wyvern
Under Probation

Post #4

Post by Wyvern »

BigChrisfilm wrote:
Wyvern wrote:
Try again with a real answer. I can't speak for them, but I would say it is more correct to say they know there is no god because there is no evidence or need for such an entity. At the worst you might be able to call it a belief based on lack of data. But of course what it is is simply a lack of belief in god.

BigChrisfilm
Apprentice

Post #5

Post by BigChrisfilm »

Wyvern wrote:
BigChrisfilm wrote:
Wyvern wrote:
Try again with a real answer. I can't speak for them, but I would say it is more correct to say they know there is no god because there is no evidence or need for such an entity. At the worst you might be able to call it a belief based on lack of data. But of course what it is is simply a lack of belief in god.
They believe there is no God. They have just as much proof as we do. There belief can never be proven. They believe based on faith, and observation. If you change my first statement to They believe in God. It would be describing me. So, they are a religion, wheither they like the term or not.

Wyvern
Under Probation

Post #6

Post by Wyvern »

They believe there is no God. They have just as much proof as we do. There belief can never be proven. They believe based on faith, and observation. If you change my first statement to They believe in God. It would be describing me. So, they are a religion, wheither they like the term or not.
Not quite, religion is generally the belief of some transcendant being through intuition or faith. Atheism is a lack of such a belief, simple as that.
You come at this from the wrong direction. You assume that both sides have faith in either the exitance or non existance of god, which would make them nothing more than two sides of the same coin. For atheists there is no coin in the first place.

To put it simply atheists don't believe there is no god, they have no belief in god. Notice the difference.

BigChrisfilm
Apprentice

Post #7

Post by BigChrisfilm »

Wyvern wrote:
Not quite, religion is generally the belief of some transcendant being through intuition or faith. Atheism is a lack of such a belief, simple as that.
You come at this from the wrong direction. You assume that both sides have faith in either the exitance or non existance of god, which would make them nothing more than two sides of the same coin. For atheists there is no coin in the first place.

To put it simply atheists don't believe there is no god, they have no belief in god. Notice the difference.
There isn't any differance. Let's replace God with Popcorn. I don't believe in popcorn. I have no belief in popcorn. You are just rewording the statement to fit your interpretation. Atheism is a religion. It even has an ism on the end of it.

Wyvern
Under Probation

Post #8

Post by Wyvern »

There isn't any differance. Let's replace God with Popcorn. I don't believe in popcorn. I have no belief in popcorn. You are just rewording the statement to fit your interpretation. Atheism is a religion. It even has an ism on the end of it.
Of course there is a difference, belief, one has it the other doesn't.

Again all religions believe in a transcendant figure, whether it is Jesus, Buddha, Allah, Krishna or Bob does not matter. What is atheisms transcendant figure?
Islam has no ism at the end of it, does that mean it's not a religion? Or christianity for that matter.

scorpia
Sage

Post #9

Post by scorpia »

Did you know that Atheism is a religion?
Just some advice, perhaps a better question for debate would be "do you think atheism is a religion?"

In any case they're going to do some head-biting with this one #-o

Technically, it isn't a belief, it is an unbelief. It's not quite a religion, it's a different topic altogether. Some do have some big problem with having to do with anything that involves tradition or rituals or something, and are set against it. That would not make them simply atheists though, but irreligious. Although there are some religions that involves atheism, and futher more some atheists are ritualistic themselves so much they might as well be religious.

That is what I've said before and no-one argued against it when I gave my opinion so I'll start presuming that argument had been won :whistle:
'Belief is never giving up.'- Random footy adverisement.

Sometimes even a wise man is wrong. Sometimes even a fool is right.

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by bernee51 »

No I didn't..because it isn't. It is a claim oft made by theists to try to bolster their beliefs.

Seeing you obviously enjoy reading others works (you quote them often enough) I suggest you look here as to the reasons why you are mistaken.

When YOU come up with a rational argument as to why athesim is a religion I will happily address YOUR arguments.
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

William James quoting Dr. Hodgson

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj