Kingdom of Heaven (2005)

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Aristarkos
Apprentice

Kingdom of Heaven (2005)

Post #1

Post by Aristarkos »

What do you think of the message of the movie?
... especially in regard to these quotes:

Hospitaller: I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. What god desires is here [points to head] and here [points to heart], and by what you decide to do eveyday, will make you a good man...or not. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves.

Balian of Ibelin: [holds a speech to the people of Jerusalem] It has fallen to us, to defend Jerusalem, and we have made our preparations as well as they can be made. None of us took this city from Muslims. No Muslim of the great army now coming against us was born when this city was lost. We fight over an offence we did not give, against those who were not alive to be offended. What is Jerusalem? Your holy palaces lie over the Jewish temple that the Romans pulled down. The Muslim places of worship lie over yours. Which is more holy?
[pause] The wall? The Mosque? The Sepulchre? Who has claim? No one has claim. [raises his voice] All have claim!
Patriarch: That is blasphemy!
Almaric: [to the Patriarch] Be quiet.
Balian of Ibelin: We defend this city, not to protect these stones, but the people living within these walls.

chachynga
Apprentice

Re: Kingdom of Heaven (2005)

Post #2

Post by chachynga »

Aristarkos wrote:What do you think of the message of the movie?
... especially in regard to these quotes:

Hospitaller: I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. What god desires is here [points to head] and here [points to heart], and by what you decide to do eveyday, will make you a good man...or not. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves.

Balian of Ibelin: [holds a speech to the people of Jerusalem] It has fallen to us, to defend Jerusalem, and we have made our preparations as well as they can be made. None of us took this city from Muslims. No Muslim of the great army now coming against us was born when this city was lost. We fight over an offence we did not give, against those who were not alive to be offended. What is Jerusalem? Your holy palaces lie over the Jewish temple that the Romans pulled down. The Muslim places of worship lie over yours. Which is more holy?
[pause] The wall? The Mosque? The Sepulchre? Who has claim? No one has claim. [raises his voice] All have claim!
Patriarch: That is blasphemy!
Almaric: [to the Patriarch] Be quiet.
Balian of Ibelin: We defend this city, not to protect these stones, but the people living within these walls.

I too paused and rewound the sections and replayed them several times.

The kingdome of God is Here on this earth and here in my heart/mind.

The land they call Jerusalem is not going to be the New Jerusalem and is nothing reall IMO to do with the second Coming of Christos!

I think, what we have to see is the movie was made for the theatre and also teaches man to reason instead of Goding to Gods holy Word the Bible.

There is one that owns the land, it is God, were mere tenants.

There is no Heaven for the people who get Eternal Life... it starts in the here and now (the KingDome is already here).[/i]

Aristarkos
Apprentice

Post #3

Post by Aristarkos »

chachynga wrote:I think, what we have to see is the movie was made for the theatre and also teaches man to reason instead of Goding to Gods holy Word the Bible.
"Goding"? going?

Yes, it is good that our minds are free to reason.
WILLIAM ELLERY CHANNING wrote:"I call that mind free which resists the bondage of habit, which does not mechanically copy the past, nor live on its old virtues: but which listens for new and higher monitions of conscience, and rejoices to pour itself forth in fresh and higher exertions."

sue

Post #4

Post by sue »

Aristarkos wrote:What do you think of the message of the movie?
I interpreted the message as this: A few extremists can ruin it for everyone; people and actions are more important than ideas.

Beautiful scenery, but I think that the most powerful shot was the overhead view of the breached wall, with soldiers on either side packed together, all struggling but nothing happening.

Aristarkos, have you seen Munich?

Aristarkos
Apprentice

Post #5

Post by Aristarkos »

sue wrote:I interpreted the message as this: A few extremists can ruin it for everyone; people and actions are more important than ideas.

Beautiful scenery, but I think that the most powerful shot was the overhead view of the breached wall, with soldiers on either side packed together, all struggling but nothing happening.
That was a powerful shot. I also liked when Saladin (Muslim leader) picked up the cross. And how the movie showed that the ideological barriers within people of a single race or religion can be more problematic than the barriers of race and religion themselves.
sue wrote:Aristarkos, have you seen Munich?
Yes. Disturbing murder scenes. Wasn't exactly a fun time at the movies, but had important message about the circle of vengeance. What did you like best about Munich?

sue

Post #6

Post by sue »

Aristarkos wrote:
sue wrote:Aristarkos, have you seen Munich?
Yes. Disturbing murder scenes. Wasn't exactly a fun time at the movies, but had important message about the circle of vengeance. What did you like best about Munich?
It's hard to pick one thing. The acting was excellent - especially Eric Bana as Avner and Lynn Cohen as Golda Meir. I always enjoy movies that portay the erosion of the psyche given stress and time (a la The Wicker Man). But it wouldn't be the same movie if they had left out the scene where they have to share a safehouse with Palestinians. Everything from the argument over the radio station to the speech was top notch.

What about you?

Aristarkos
Apprentice

Post #7

Post by Aristarkos »

The scene when they had to stay with the Palestinians .. definitely. Interesting when they were having dinner and realizing that they were all just regular guys with regular jobs .. previously.

In Kingdom of Heaven I also liked the part when Balian asked, "What is Jerusalem worth?"