Are psychedelics spirituality?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Athiest-420
Student

Post #1

Post by Athiest-420 »

I believe psychedelics give one a glimpse into the spiritual realm, for lack of a better term, although there are other ways to reach it, such as meditation.

Dimethyltryptamine is endogenous, and is reported to be the cause of near death experiences, alien encounters, and possibly the afterlife. It is produced within us all the time, and larger amounts are made during the REM cycle of our sleep, and stressful situations, i.e. death.

DMT:The Spirit Molecule & Inner Paths to Outer Space by Rick Strassman, M.D.

Rick Strassman also stated in an interview that while trying to become a Buddhist monk, he found out that about 80-90% of the monks he asked admitted that they used LSD and that it was the most influential experience in them deciding to become and devote their life to being a Buddhist monk.

Mushrooms have been used for thousands of years. Terence McKenna's Stoned Ape theory addresses the possibility of magic mushrooms initiating the creation of language and culture. In 100,000 years BC, Cubensis mushrooms could finally grow due to the change in climate which caused the rainforest to recede. Monkeys left the forest, and ate mushrooms and bugs found on animal dung. Mushrooms are reported to increase visual acuity, promote community bonding, and were the first spiritual experience for these primates.

Food for The Gods by Terence McKenna

I have also read a lot about mushrooms and their presence in the bible. Christ in Sumerian apparently means "a mushroom covered in gods semen". Early people understood how seeds worked, but not spores, as they were too small. Mushrooms would grow hours after the rain, from nothing visible, so they'd attribute it to being god's semen that fall from the sky. The people of these times were also very into fertility, animal fertility for food and human fertility for other obvious reasons. They were very curious about mushrooms because of their penis/vagina like appearance and mysterious/unknown growth after rainfall.

John Allegro shows how the Bible, the Dead Sea Scrolls, and the etymology of various Mesopotamian languages all have mushroom and sexual puns/terms interwoven. This is due to the prominence in the pre-Christian world of mushroom and fertility cults. Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic, the languages of the Bible, all ultimately derive from ancient Sumerian, where many original meanings had been long lost. For instance, the gods of the Greeks and Hebrews, Zeus and Yahweh (Jehovah) have names derived from Sumerian words meaning “seed of life� and “juice of fecundity.� The name Herod, as in King Herod, “ardeola� in Latin, serves as a wordplay on the Semitic “ardilia� which means “mushroom.� The name Jesus, in Hebrew “yehoshiia� comes from the Sumerian “JA U ShiJ A� which means “semen which saves, restores, heals.� This is comparable to the fertility god Dionysus, whose cult emblem was an erect phallus, and whose Sumerian name “IA-U-Nu-ShUSh� also means “semen, seed that saves.�

The Sacred Mushroom by John Allegra

Interesting reads/videos

http://shroomn8r.tripod.com/legendsoftheshroom/id7.html

Are psychedelics spirituality? Can all mystical experiences be explained by psychedelic drugs?

Christians used to burn people for being witches, it is now known that some of these "witches" were poor people, that had no where to live, besides caves. These caves were full of intoxicating fumes thats caused them to hallucinate. Other times, girls accused of witchcraft simply ate shrooms they found in the forest. When they were found dancing naked, people claimed they were witches. Are there not many more cases like this?

Talishi
Guru

Re: Are psychedelics spirituality?

Post #2

Post by Talishi »

Athiest-420 wrote: I believe psychedelics give one a glimpse into the spiritual realm, for lack of a better term, although there are other ways to reach it, such as meditation.
You might be on to something. The entire book of Revelation reads like John of Patmos had a touch of ergot fungus poisoning.

Psychedelics are drugs that invoke a typically reversible bout of psychosis. But not always reversible, as Peter Green of Fleetwood Mac and Syd Barrett of Pink Floyd could attest.
Thank you for playing Debating Christianity & Religion!

Delphi
Apprentice

Post #3

Post by Delphi »

Athiest-420 wrote: I believe psychedelics give one a glimpse into the spiritual realm
In my early 20's I might have agreed with you. I did a lot of LSD, and I had a romantic idea that it could reveal a 'spiritual realm'.

I was reading a lot of Carlos Castenada at the time and this only reinforced the delusion.

Turns out I was just high on drugs. ;)

Now that I am older and smarter, I can recognize that the physics of matter and energy in our little universe is all that there is. Bummer dude, but true.

Yahu
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by Yahu »

Athiest-420 wrote: I believe psychedelics give one a glimpse into the spiritual realm, for lack of a better term, although there are other ways to reach it, such as meditation.
Yes, drugs can open you up to spiritual encounters. They drop your resistances and allow evil spiritual forces access. Yah never used drugs to have spiritual encounters.
Christians used to burn people for being witches, it is now known that some of these "witches" were poor people, that had no where to live, besides caves. These caves were full of intoxicating fumes thats caused them to hallucinate. Other times, girls accused of witchcraft simply ate shrooms they found in the forest. When they were found dancing naked, people claimed they were witches. Are there not many more cases like this?
Generally it was those practicing paganism that were burned. Witchcraft is a major part of many pagan religions. Of course, some could have been falsely accused BUT open practice of the ancient pagan religions were driven underground and nearly wiped out as a result of the 'burning times'.

I don't have a bit of problem with the extermination of those pagan religions. The most evil individuals I have ever known were high priestesses of an ancient pagan goddess. At one of them's trial, the judge stated that he had always been anti death penalty but now he understood why witches were burned at the stake in the past. If it was up to him, he would gladly sentence her to death and have the bonfire on the parade grounds (It was a military trial) and light the fire himself. But he didn't have the authority to do so but gave her the maximum sentence he could. Her coven had committed treason at her orders.

theStudent
Guru

Post #5

Post by theStudent »

[Replying to post 1 by Athiest-420]

It's not only drugs, but persons can become portals to spirit forces, simply by performing specific rituals - yoga, tantra, tai chi, and many ancient Asian arts.
Check our the Tha Rue shrine.
But WARNING, the graphics can be shocking.
Devotees slash their cheeks and push through anything from swords and electrical wires to GUNS in Phuket ‘purification’ festival
WARNING GRAPHIC CONTENT
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... tival.html
John 8:32
. . .the truth will set you free.

dio9
Under Probation

Post #6

Post by dio9 »

In the early days `people like Huxley and Watts took LSD as research subjects wwith psychiatrists . Huxley described the experience as a chemically induced psychotic episode. Watts saw it as something as an aid for meditative satori experience, a oneness with the universe. Watts thought it could be used sacramentaly like communion . As a sacrament, LSD does not escape one from reality, it rather puts one right in the middle of reality. And that can be either a good thing or a bad thing depending on what your current reality is.

hoghead1
Guru

Post #7

Post by hoghead1 »

[Replying to dio9]

I agree. Pahnke, who unfortunately died before he cold complete his research, did some interesting research which found psychedelics could pretty much duplicate some of the key features of mystical experiences reported in the Christian mystical literature. The oceanic feeling of oneness and the dedifferentiation of subject and object are of particular interest to me. That is because they square well with the principle of relativity or essential relatedness, a major dimension of contemporary process theology. Accordingly, all entities enjoy internal relationships with all others. As Alfred North Whitehead, the noted British philosopher and mathematician, argued, every entity is an item in the real internal constitution of every other. In Europe, there are major psychotherapists who do effectively use LSD as part of their therapy. In nonwestern cultures, psychedelics are widely used in religious rituals. So there definitely can be a spiritual dimension to psychedelics. Problem is, all this got such a bad rep.

hoghead1
Guru

Post #8

Post by hoghead1 »

[Replying to post 2 by Talishi]

It all seems to depend on how the psychedelics are being used. As I just said, in another post, LSD is being sued successfully by European psychotherapists. Also, more than one study found positive effects of psychedelics, in the US. However, the whole drug scene got a bad rap and few today sees psychedelics as anything but negative.

hoghead1
Guru

Post #9

Post by hoghead1 »

[Replying to post 4 by Yahu]

I'm not sure exactly what evil priestesses you are referring to, but it does seem like you are stereotyping pagan religions. As far as paganism goes, "pagan philosophy" was very much incorporated by the early church. Only in modern times, did this sharp contrast of Christian vs. pagan crop up. In fact, the classical concept of God as he is in his own nature came largely from Hellenic metaphysics and standards of perfection.

We all have different tastes in music. I have a strong background in French horn and conducting. I'm very much into Wagner's "Ring Cycle." That is about as pagan as you can get. From this musical perspective, I am overwhelmed by the beauty and spirituality of paganism. Some people play air guitar, I air conduct. Well, off to air conducting "Die Walkurie." See you at intermission.

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by Blastcat »

[Replying to post 1 by Athiest-420]

[center]
Stoners for Christ[/center]

Athiest-420 wrote:
I believe psychedelics give one a glimpse into the spiritual realm.
Please define "spiritual realm".
There are many such described in the authoritative Bible.

Athiest-420 wrote:
If you define it that way, sure, why not?
I don't know what the authoritative Bible has to say about it, though.

I think you may have to spend a few years refining your theology.
But as with all other theologies stemming from the authoritative Bible, they say you can pretty much prove anything at all with it. So.. if you care to .. get to work.

You may start a whole new branch of "Dopers for Christ" or something.

Athiest-420 wrote:
Can all mystical experiences be explained by psychedelic drugs?[/b]
I know you can do it if you try hard enough and if you have enough faith in Jesus.

:)