Moderator: Moderators

BirdofPrey
Student

How to call on the Lord's name ?

Post #1

Post by BirdofPrey »

Romans 10:13
For, "Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved."
What does call on the name mean ? How do you call on a name ?

bluethread
Savant

Post #51

Post by bluethread »

Keef wrote:
bluethread wrote:I was under the impression that "one jot or one tittle" refered to th accents and vowel markings, not any letter in particular.
One does, one doesn't. The 'jot' is the Yod, which is a very small letter, little more than a tick-mark. It's the 'Y' (or 'J') of the tetragrammaton.

The 'tittle' is the little tail or hook on some Hebrew letters.
Well, this still leaves us with less than a compelling argument for seeing "the name of the Lord" as any particular vocalization.

Keef
Student

Post #52

Post by Keef »

bluethread wrote:Well, this still leaves us with less than a compelling argument for seeing "the name of the Lord" as any particular vocalization.
True. But at least we know (within a little) what "the name of the Lord" was ;)

My commentaries suggest that " to call on the name of the Lord" means "to acknowledge him". That works for me. I don't think we need to go around calling יהוה - indeed, Exodus 20:7 proscribes this, which is the main reason for the G-d or "tetragrammaton plus Adonai vowel signs" approach.

Prince
Scholar

Post #53

Post by Prince »

bluethread wrote:
Prince wrote:
bluethread wrote:Prince, how gnostic of you. I gather that if I do not now know the "devine name" you seem to be eluding to, I am not truly a believer in the God of Avraham,Yitzchak and Yacov. Is this what you would contend?
Yes. That is correct.
OK, presuming that name is best expressed as יהוה. How does one call on this name?
Prince Wrote:

I will not presume that is His name because it isn't. Refer to my post #39 on this thread and you will see that it says where Jesus reveals the name of the Father to his disciples. In order to know the name it must be revealed to you by teaching with the same words as Jesus and the son of man, which are the words given to Him by the Father. Any teaching that is outside of that and you are denied His name.

teddy_trueblood
Apprentice

Post #54

Post by teddy_trueblood »

How do you explain that God’s people commonly used the name of YHWH in speech and writing for centuries until the Jews eventually decided it was taboo? (I understand one sect decided that Hebrew itself was even too sacred to use.)

And how do you explain Elijah’s clear example of how to call on the name of YHWH?: see post 20 of this discussion.

Many other scriptures throughout the OT declare the extreme importance (to God and us) of our knowing and declaring and calling upon (invoking) the name YHWH. - see
http://examiningthetrinity.blogspot.co ... -god.html

Of course “calling on the name of YHWH� means “acknowledging him,� but it also means actually using his name (as best we can). Since the only Hebrew/Aramaic OT manuscripts we have available show the name as “Yehowah� (“Jehovah� in traditional English form), It shouldn’t be as wrong to use and invoke this name as it is to use a completely different word (“LORD� or “GOD�) in its place. Even the use of ‘Yahweh’ is preferable to the complete removal of every trace of the Divine name.

Prince
Scholar

Post #55

Post by Prince »

teddy_trueblood wrote:How do you explain that God’s people commonly used the name of YHWH in speech and writing for centuries until the Jews eventually decided it was taboo? (I understand one sect decided that Hebrew itself was even too sacred to use.)

And how do you explain Elijah’s clear example of how to call on the name of YHWH?: see post 20 of this discussion.

Many other scriptures throughout the OT declare the extreme importance (to God and us) of our knowing and declaring and calling upon (invoking) the name YHWH. - see
http://examiningthetrinity.blogspot.co ... -god.html

Of course “calling on the name of YHWH� means “acknowledging him,� but it also means actually using his name (as best we can). Since the only Hebrew/Aramaic OT manuscripts we have available show the name as “Yehowah� (“Jehovah� in traditional English form), It shouldn’t be as wrong to use and invoke this name as it is to use a completely different word (“LORD� or “GOD�) in its place. Even the use of ‘Yahweh’ is preferable to the complete removal of every trace of the Divine name.
Prince Wrote;

The reason you don't know the name of the Lord is because you are under Gods wrath, even though you do not know it."Whoever disobeys the son will not see life but must endure the wrath of God".

The Lord and son of man says; "If you continue in my words you are truly my disciple, then you will know the truth(the word of God) and the truth will set you free."

"The man who wants to come tome will hear my words and put them into
practice."

Some people think you just have to believe Jesus is the son of God and pray to Him and that is good enough but really He commanded His followers to continue His mission as He was sent.To disobey this command yields the wrath of God.

"If the son frees you ,you shall truly be free." You can take this verse and think ,oh Jesus did it for me or you can think ,I must become like Jesus to spread Gods word as He did because He did say "As the Father sent me that is how I send you." Or "What I have done that is what you must do".I prescribe to the latter.

Example;
Proverbs;

My son, pay attention to my words, incline your ear to my sayings ;
Don’t let them slip out of your sight, keep them within your heart;
For they are life to those who find them, to man's whole being they are health.

The fear of the Lord prolongs life, but the years of the wicked are brief.

The words of the upright save them but the words of the wicked are a deadly ambush.

The teaching of the wise is a fountain of life.

Those who walk uprightly fear the Lord.

The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life.

Blessed is he who is kind to the poor.

The Lord’s delight is those who speak the truth, and those who speak what is right he loves

The Lord is far from the wicked, but he hears the prayer of the just .

(End of proverbs)

That is the Lord who live sin me and I in him.
I am the good shepherd, I know my sheep and my sheep know me,
just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; To these sheep I will give my life. I have other sheep that do not belong to this fold. These also I must lead, and they will hear my voice, and there will be one flock, one shepherd.
This is why the Father loves me, because I lay down my life in order to take it up again. No one takes it from me, I lay it down freely. I have power to lay it down, and power to take it up again. This command I have received from my Father."
The works I do in my Father's name testify to me.
But you do not believe, because you are not among my sheep.

My sheep hear my voice; I know them, and they follow me.
I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish. No one can take them out of my hand.
My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one can take them out of the Lord's hand. The Lord and I are one.
If I do not perform my Father's works, do not believe me;
but if I perform them, even if you do not believe me, put faith in the works, so that you may realize that the Lord is in me and I am in the Lord.

Man does not live by bread alone but by every word from the mouth of God.

Those are some of the words that the son of man gave to His disciples to go into the world as He did and proclaim the good news of the kingdom of God.

teddy_trueblood
Apprentice

Post #56

Was it Mark Twain who said:

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."?

bluethread
Savant

Post #57

Post by bluethread »

Prince wrote:
Prince Wrote:

I will not presume that is His name because it isn't. Refer to my post #39 on this thread and you will see that it says where Jesus reveals the name of the Father to his disciples. In order to know the name it must be revealed to you by teaching with the same words as Jesus and the son of man, which are the words given to Him by the Father. Any teaching that is outside of that and you are denied His name.
As far as I can tell, those words have not been posted in this thread yet. What has been posted is, at best, translations or transliterations of what those words.

Yahu
Banned
Banned

Re: How to call on the Lord's name ?

Post #58

Post by Yahu »

BirdofPrey wrote:Romans 10:13
For, "Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved."
What does call on the name mean ? How do you call on a name ?
It is a play on words. Yeshua or Yahushua is the Hebrew name of who most christians know as Jesus. Yeshua actual means 'he saves' in Hebrew. When taken as Yahushua, it would be' Yah (or Yahu) our salvation' with Yah being the short form of the name of God YHVH, ie Yahuvah/Yahweh (depending on vowel pointing).

If you break down the name of God, YHVH into the paleo-hebrew word pictures, it becomes 'behold, hand/arm, behold, nail' or basically 'behold the nail [pierced] hand' as a direct picture of Yeshua equating the Hebrew name of god directing with Yeshua.

Many Hebrew names had Yah as a part of the name. For example the Hebrew name of Elijah is EliYahu which means 'Mighty Yahu'.

So whoever calls on the 'name of the lord' (Yeshua, 'He saves') will be saved.

DansingWall
Student

Post #59

Post by DansingWall »

Heterodoxus wrote:When calling "on the name of the Lord," be mindful of what you might conjure up!
Think JAH would be good? Although while watching an Indiana Jones movie i learned there is no J in the hebrew language. Is that true?

teddy_trueblood
Apprentice

Post #60

Yes, the Yod of "Yod Hay Waw Hay" (YHWH) has an "ee" or "yuh" sound instead of the modern English "jay" sound.

But when English translations were first made they used an "I" or "Y" for this Hebrew letter so that God's name was "Iehoua." As the years passed, however, they began using an 'ornamental' form of the letter "I" shaped as today's "J." It was still pronounced as an "I" would be at first. But as time passed the English pronunciation changed into today's "Jay" sound.

We see the remnants of this in words like 'Hallelujah' where the "j" is still pronounced as "i" (or "y").