Why God sent Jesus on earth?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

gospel

Post #1

Post by gospel »

For God so greatly loved and dearly prized the world that He [even] gave up His only begotten (unique) Son, so that whoever believes in (trusts in, clings to, relies on) Him shall not perish (come to destruction, be lost) but have eternal (everlasting) life.

melikio
Guru

Why?

Post #2

Post by melikio »

To LOVE us in the most absolute and complete manner, and to SHOW us the same. O:)

(I used those words, because so many people who say they believe, don't/won't SHOW their love.)

-Mel-
"It is better to BE more like Jesus and assume to speak less for God." -MA-

bernee51
Site Supporter

Re: Why God sent Jesus on earth?

Post #3

Post by bernee51 »

gospel wrote:For God so greatly loved and dearly prized the world that He [even] gave up His only begotten (unique) Son, so that whoever believes in (trusts in, clings to, relies on) Him shall not perish (come to destruction, be lost) but have eternal (everlasting) life.
Really? How do you know?
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

William James quoting Dr. Hodgson

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj

Bro Dave
Sage

Post #4

Post by Bro Dave »

gospel wrote:For God so greatly loved and dearly prized the world that He [even] gave up His only begotten (unique) Son, so that whoever believes in (trusts in, clings to, relies on) Him shall not perish (come to destruction, be lost) but have eternal (everlasting) life.
The message is Love. No problem there. But, God has an INFINITE capability to Love, and the reason he sent Jesus, was not to be slaughtered so He, God, could get past some VERY finite "sin" of some VERY remote ancestor.

God, being I_N_F_I_N_I_T_E, is unattainable by the human mind. Human concepts of God were frighteninlgy human, and so, Jesus came to show mankind God in every why we are capable of understanding Him. Jesus is God's personal representative; our personal access to God. So, yes, Jesus DID come to show us how to attain eternity. But, that attainment in no way required his being slaughtered!. God has no need for anyone to suffer, and surely not a innocent Son! #-o

God is more loving than that! (Heck, I'm more loving that that!)

Bro Dave
:D

ENIGMA
Sage

Post #5

Post by ENIGMA »

To write up a Guide entry about the place, however, between several events he got stuck on earth for far more years than he intended.

Oh, wait, that's Ford Prefect.

Nevermind.
Gilt and Vetinari shared a look. It said: While I loathe you and all of your personal philosophy to a depth unplummable by any line, I will credit you at least with not being Crispin Horsefry [The big loud idiot in the room].

-Going Postal, Discworld

trencacloscas
Sage

Post #6

Post by trencacloscas »

If it's not a mere fable, the message is hate.

So much God hate man, that he sent his Son to condemn mankind to eternal fire for supposed sins He knows men cannot resist to commit.
Sor Eucharist: I need to talk with you, Dr. House. Sister Augustine believes in things that aren’t real.
Dr. Gregory House: I thought that was a job requirement for you people.

(HOUSE MD. Season 1 Episode 5)

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by McCulloch »

This sort of begs the question doesn't it? First prove that there is a God. Then show that God has a son and that God's son became a human on earth. Then show that this God is the God of the Bible. Then we can properly discuss why God would do such a thing.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

AlAyeti
Guru

Post #8

Post by AlAyeti »

And I am accused of using the same arguments over and over thread to thread.
gospel wrote:
For God so greatly loved and dearly prized the world that He [even] gave up His only begotten (unique) Son, so that whoever believes in (trusts in, clings to, relies on) Him shall not perish (come to destruction, be lost) but have eternal (everlasting) life.
This sort of begs the question doesn't it? First prove that there is a God.
Prove that a redwood tree falls down and makes itself into a fine cabin in the woods? Something designed by observation has a Designer.
Then show that God has a son and that God's son became a human on earth.

The Bible shows that very thing. "Let us make man after our image and after Our likeness." Almost every religion in the history of human beings show that god or gods come in recognizeable forms. Even the children of the raven cry out to God when they are hunger.
Then show that this God is the God of the Bible.

The world does not look like a story in Buddhist writings. Does it?
Then we can properly discuss why God would do such a thing.
Well let's see why?

From trencacloscas:
So much God hate man, that he sent his Son to condemn mankind to eternal fire for supposed sins He knows men cannot resist to commit.
Hated man? Seems like being "The Son of Man," would give God a good perspective to see what those sins we cannot resist committing are actually all about.

Is every woman an adulterer caught in the very act?

One of the disciples asked Trenc's very question! Imagine that, a freethinker follower of Jesus. "

Then who 'can' be saved?"

Enter a miracle.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by McCulloch »

AlAyeti wrote:Prove that a redwood tree falls down and makes itself into a fine cabin in the woods? Something designed by observation has a Designer.
The Argument of Design. Good idea.
McCulloch wrote:Then show that God has a son and that God's son became a human on earth.
AlAyeti wrote:The Bible shows that very thing. "Let us make man after our image and after Our likeness." Almost every religion in the history of human beings show that god or gods come in recognizeable forms. Even the children of the raven cry out to God when they are hunger[y].
We do tend to make gods after our own image, don't we.
McCulloch wrote:Then show that this God is the God of the Bible.
AlAyeti wrote:The world does not look like a story in Buddhist writings. Does it?
The Buddhists seem to think it does. Does the world look like the story in the Christian writings?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

redstang281
Apprentice

Post #10

Post by redstang281 »

The message is Love. No problem there.
You're right God is love but because of that he also has hate for sin. A Holy God can not tolerate sin so it must be dealt with.
But, God has an INFINITE capability to Love, and the reason he sent Jesus, was not to be slaughtered so He, God, could get past some VERY finite "sin" of some VERY remote ancestor.
The sins of our ancestors is relevant because it's the corrupted nature we inherited. That is what we can not overcome without what Christ has accomplished for us on the cross. Jesus's sacrifice provided the way.

Romans 8:3 - For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do: sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh,

God, being I_N_F_I_N_I_T_E, is unattainable by the human mind. Human concepts of God were frighteninlgy human, and so, Jesus came to show mankind God in every why we are capable of understanding Him. Jesus is God's personal representative; our personal access to God. So, yes, Jesus DID come to show us how to attain eternity. But, that attainment in no way required his being slaughtered!. God has no need for anyone to suffer, and surely not a innocent Son!
Yes it did. Mankind's sins had to be paid otherwise God could not fairly allow us access to heaven. God would contradict his own nature if he forgave sins without a payment because that would be unfair and God is just.

Hebrews 9:22 - Indeed, under the law almost everything is purified with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sins.

God is more loving than that! (Heck, I'm more loving that that!)
It's God's love that he was willing to punish himself for us.

John 15:13 - Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.