Secular Humanism

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

The Happy Humanist
Site Supporter

Secular Humanism

Post #1

Post by The Happy Humanist »

I had posted a definition of secular humanism in the Definitions category. Apparently this is a controversial topic, so I have been told to carry it over here to the Debate category. Personally, I don't see the controversy, but Harvey1 feels that, without divine authority, no one has the right to tell anyone else how to live their life; I think he means that no lifestyle is better than any other, absent edicts from a higher power. I told him that common sense says otherwise; and there we stand. So...
Jim, the Happy Humanist!
===
Any sufficiently advanced worldview will be indistinguishable from sheer arrogance --The Happy Humanist (with apologies to Arthur C. Clarke)

The Happy Humanist
Site Supporter

Post #21

foshizzle wrote:(Quickly on the issue of slavery, because I don't have time to respond to everything)...
The civil laws of the nation of Israel allow people to sell themselves into slavery if they're destitute. In ancient times, it was often better to be a slave than to be broke.
Interesting. Would this be OK today? You speak in the present tense; is this actually done in Israel? If not, why not, I wonder?
However, there is no Biblical prescription for capturing people to turn them into slaves.
No one said there was. Where the Bible gets it wrong on slavery is that there is also no Biblical proscription against it. Even in the Decalogue!
Jim, the Happy Humanist!
===
Any sufficiently advanced worldview will be indistinguishable from sheer arrogance --The Happy Humanist (with apologies to Arthur C. Clarke)

The Happy Humanist
Site Supporter

Post #22

Perhaps we should start another topic in the Ethics category, on Slavery and the Bible. If we do, be sure and read this in preparation. What an eye-opener!
Jim, the Happy Humanist!
===

Corvus
Guru

Post #23

Post by Corvus »

Many months back there was a topic on slavery if anyone is curious.
<i>'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'</i>
-John Keats, Ode on a Grecian Urn.

The Happy Humanist
Site Supporter

Post #24

Corvus wrote:Many months back there was a topic on slavery if anyone is curious.
Interesting. I shall continue the topic there in a day or so.
Jim, the Happy Humanist!
===