Jesus Camp Documentary

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Lionspoint
Apprentice

Jesus Camp Documentary

Post #1

Post by Lionspoint »

People argue both ways for this movie. The religious right can see it as a positive tool to bring moderates to becoming "real" Christians. Atheists such as myself can find it somewhere between humorous and tragic. I can't help but laugh at certain points but I feel so bad for those kids throughout most of the movie.

So the questions to everyone out there are:

Does Jesus Camp show evangelical and charismatic Christianity in a positive light?

Does this documentary show phsychological abuse against children?

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #31

Post by Goat »

Eph wrote:
I disagree, the media is eager to let people know God is not real. Much of the time, religious people are typecast in movies or television as lunatics (some are, by the way).
Is it that they are typecast, or is it because lunatics who's lunacy takes a religious turn are just so much more interesting than the average joe blow lunatic?
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Nilloc James
Site Supporter

Post #32

Post by Nilloc James »

Eph wrote:
I disagree, the media is eager to let people know God is not real. Much of the time, religious people are typecast in movies or television as lunatics (some are, by the way).

Or it might be that the public deserves to know what religous cooks are out there. :D

Or if you watched fox news, those people and their anti-atheist spurge was hillarious. They seemed content saying there was a god.

Homicidal_Cherry53
Sage

Post #33

Post by Homicidal_Cherry53 »

Eph wrote: I agree with much of what you said and in no way take offense at it. However, people who indoctrinate with an emphasis on the most important virtues such as love, friendship and community are actually benefitting society, not detracting from it, even though some of it may not be factually true or beyond the scope of science. I have friends from most major religions and have found that despite doctrinal differences, there is a sense of family and belonging that can come from shared values within a religious context.
To be fair, it is rather difficult not to indoctrinate a child. There is simply no way that parents can avoid imprinting their own beliefs and biases on their child (unless there is no contact whatsoever). Even if the parent transmits no bias, the environment the child grows up in will. Objectivity is just not feasible. Parents should not go around actively trying to indoctrinate their children, but I suppose it is better that a person is taught love, community, and friendship than bigotry, anger, and hatred.
LDS people don’t always get it right when it comes to teaching young people, but we do try to teach based on principals of free agency. In fact, we believe free agency is the plan God has in mind for everyone – so, we should be sensitive to how we share our doctrine. I agree with your assertion that those who grow up in a religion will more than likely stay in that religion. However, LDS teachings differ, somewhat from other religions, in the belief in what we call a “testimony� – and this cannot be learned from a person, rather can only be obtained from God. You mentioned Joseph Smith, he taught regarding spiritual matters, “The best way to obtain truth and wisdom is not to ask it from books, but to go to God in prayer, and obtain divine teaching.� Such is the emphasis to children and adults alike, one may approach God and have spiritual truth revealed to him.
If God is to be such a personal thing, why isn't everyone supposed to find their way to Him on their own? If personal dialogue with God is the best way, then any kind of organized religion would be counter-productive, as it takes the personal part away by creating a pre-conceived notion of God.
Kids are told a lot of things at age 3 – the reality of Santa, Easter Bunny, Barney (oh, gosh) and fairies, etc. They may also be told of religious things, the difference here is that they should at some point be able to discern for themselves what to believe – once again, free agency again comes to mind and should be taught.
But those things are not really taught in earnest, and it is expected that children stop believing in them. They are made to be so completely ridiculous and unbelievable so that the child can do nothing but come to the conclusion that they are fake. That is clearly not the case with God, as billions don't come to that conclusion.
Honesty also comes to mind, which is why I like you Homocidal_Cherry53. For a teenager, I’m glad you question things, it will make you a thoughtful adult.
Thank you. We can only hope that skepticism is more than a phase.

Eph
Apprentice

Post #34

Post by Eph »

goat wrote:
Is it that they are typecast, or is it because lunatics who's lunacy takes a religious turn are just so much more interesting than the average joe blow lunatic?
lol, right you are!

Nilloc James wrote:
Or it might be that the public deserves to know what religous cooks are out there.

Or if you watched fox news, those people and their anti-atheist spurge was hillarious. They seemed content saying there was a god.
To notice such a thing might make you religiously atheistic. Still, I'd rather hang out with Hannity than Oberman. O'Reilly might throw something at you.

Homocidal_Cherry53 wrote:
If God is to be such a personal thing, why isn't everyone supposed to find their way to Him on their own? If personal dialogue with God is the best way, then any kind of organized religion would be counter-productive, as it takes the personal part away by creating a pre-conceived notion of God.
Ultimately, these decisions are always personal. Organized religion is kind of like AA where people benefit from having a social connection. The support, friendship and teachings add strength, but, your individual struggle to understand and/or overcome will ultimately be fought in the confines of your own mind and heart (see integrity, definition of).
1 Corinthians 2:14
But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Nilloc James
Site Supporter

Post #35

Post by Nilloc James »

Ultimately, these decisions are always personal. Organized religion is kind of like AA where people benefit from having a social connection. The support, friendship and teachings add strength, but, your individual struggle to understand and/or overcome will ultimately be fought in the confines of your own mind and heart (see integrity, definition of).
Like the saying:

Twenty men claiming unicorns exist are an assylm. Twenty thousand men claiming unicorns exist are a church.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #36

Post by Goat »

Eph wrote:[To notice such a thing might make you religiously atheistic. Still, I'd rather hang out with Hannity than Oberman. O'Reilly might throw something at you.
I personally would prefer to hand out with Jon Stewart. I like a good laugh.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Nilloc James
Site Supporter

Post #37

Post by Nilloc James »

goat wrote:
Eph wrote:[To notice such a thing might make you religiously atheistic. Still, I'd rather hang out with Hannity than Oberman. O'Reilly might throw something at you.
I personally would prefer to hand out with Jon Stewart. I like a good laugh.
Colbert all the way. :D

Yeah the entire media is neither atheistic nor theistic.