Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

melikio
Guru

CCM and Other Music

Post #1

Post by melikio »

http://www.av1611.org/crock.html#M%20English

It has always amazed me just how HARD LINE some Christians are about anything; but while I was surfing the web today looking for other info, I stumbled across the link above.

Sometimes, I think American Christians are wrapped too narrowly in their focus upon things. And to me, nothing else shows it better, than what some Christians have to say about "MUSIC".

What does anyone think about some of the views on music at the website linked above?

Are we Christians lopsided in their view/s of music and entertainment in general?

-Mel-
"It is better to BE more like Jesus and assume to speak less for God." -MA-

Biker

Post #31

Post by Biker »

sledheavy wrote:What I've always found interesting by this is that the christian labels tend to be rather modest when it comes to talking about god. Either I'd assume because the bands were in fact so preachy (that they speak for themselves) or that it's just well enough assumed that this is a christian genre.

In my high school though we had an organization teach christianity through secular music, and it appealed to more people that way. My friends who were 'just there' were actually more influenced.

I think christian music has become FAR too conventional in it's mainstream aspect. It's the same 'lord I lift your name on high' song bird stuff I've grown accustomed to hating.

I especially give respect to the underground christian bands playing their own stuff at secular events. Because in retrospect they're getting the word out and trying to emote, rather then those coming together to sing the same songs amongst christians while the custom and song have become repetative.
Double post!

sledheavy
Scholar

Post #32

Post by sledheavy »

Biker wrote:
sledheavy wrote:What I've always found interesting by this is that the christian labels tend to be rather modest when it comes to talking about god. Either I'd assume because the bands were in fact so preachy (that they speak for themselves) or that it's just well enough assumed that this is a christian genre.

In my high school though we had an organization teach christianity through secular music, and it appealed to more people that way. My friends who were 'just there' were actually more influenced.

I think christian music has become FAR too conventional in it's mainstream aspect. It's the same 'lord I lift your name on high' song bird stuff I've grown accustomed to hating.

I especially give respect to the underground christian bands playing their own stuff at secular events. Because in retrospect they're getting the word out and trying to emote, rather then those coming together to sing the same songs amongst christians while the custom and song have become repetative.
I think secular music has become far to cookie cutter mainstream and is controlled by a few mega companies. I have lived through the complete rock and roll era. I have seen and heard it from the beginning. Things are so different now than in the beginning. They just played the best music coming out. Most of the time you never heard of the band again. I remember when the number one song of the year on AM radio (before FM) was Michael row the boat ashore, Hallellua! I remember when Elvis was banned in alot of places because he was considered too vulgar. And on the ED Sullivan show they would only show him from the waist up because his moves were to offensive to the masses. I remember when the Beatles were going to appear on Ed Sullivan and they kept talking about it for a month before hand. In one night music changed. Everything was different the next morning. I remember the British invasion, when all of the British bands were dominating the air waves. They all came to America and went to Mississippi and hung out in (colored) joints listening to the black artists. And copied their songs and put them out. There was a period where most of the top hits were white redo's of black songs. The Stones, The Animals etc etc. The black hits were primarily "negro spirituals". Actually Rock and Roll's roots are dominated by Christian music. Most people don't know that but it is the secularization of Christian music. As is Jazz and R+B, all taken or borrowed out of Christian music!
Many of the famous artists originally came directly out of Christian music, especially the blacks. They were singing in church. And got discovered.
I was there and saw and heard the whole thing!
The single biggest factor in secular music's beginnings is, Christianity!
Our parents music was on 78 vinyl. Ours was on 33 1/3 vinyl. But if you just wanted a single, you got it on 45 vinyl. Thats RPM speed for you youngsters.
Radio's and stereo's were tube type then. They produced a much fuller richer sound. The AMP's and PA's were all tube, no digital circuitry.

Biker
WOW, how my post came up twice I have no idea. Look what happens, I leave for 6 hours and gremlins get in my system.

Well yeah, I understand the history, but look at it now, lets try to bridge the gap.

Christian music is now influenced where most amongst secularism? Probably country right? And that's one genre that can practically have it's own page when it came between religion and politics over the last hundred plus years.

And I agree that even in secular music they give recognition to god. They blame him, they thank him, normally there's always something.

But what's the point?

If secular music gave more of a notation to religion would that make it less cookie cutter?

That's interesting to think about.

Right now the media's garbage. The whole lot in fact. It's either generic country, nu rock or hip hop and nothing's as defined as it were from the trend setters, obviously.

Do you think if it were more christian related it would hinder the music talent and culture?

What ignorantly comes to mind are american band stand or american idol playing ALL THE TIME. Just because people would want to celebrate in their faith.

That seems to be the whole idea in my mind however is that music is celebrated. It's supposed to speak volumes to all peoples and let them celebrate regardless of race, ethnicity or religion.

Biker

Post #33

Post by Biker »

sledheavy wrote:
Biker wrote:

I think secular music has become far to cookie cutter mainstream and is controlled by a few mega companies. I have lived through the complete rock and roll era. I have seen and heard it from the beginning. Things are so different now than in the beginning. They just played the best music coming out. Most of the time you never heard of the band again. I remember when the number one song of the year on AM radio (before FM) was Michael row the boat ashore, Hallellua! I remember when Elvis was banned in alot of places because he was considered too vulgar. And on the ED Sullivan show they would only show him from the waist up because his moves were to offensive to the masses. I remember when the Beatles were going to appear on Ed Sullivan and they kept talking about it for a month before hand. In one night music changed. Everything was different the next morning. I remember the British invasion, when all of the British bands were dominating the air waves. They all came to America and went to Mississippi and hung out in (colored) joints listening to the black artists. And copied their songs and put them out. There was a period where most of the top hits were white redo's of black songs. The Stones, The Animals etc etc. The black hits were primarily "negro spirituals". Actually Rock and Roll's roots are dominated by Christian music. Most people don't know that but it is the secularization of Christian music. As is Jazz and R+B, all taken or borrowed out of Christian music!
Many of the famous artists originally came directly out of Christian music, especially the blacks. They were singing in church. And got discovered.
I was there and saw and heard the whole thing!
The single biggest factor in secular music's beginnings is, Christianity!
Our parents music was on 78 vinyl. Ours was on 33 1/3 vinyl. But if you just wanted a single, you got it on 45 vinyl. Thats RPM speed for you youngsters.
Radio's and stereo's were tube type then. They produced a much fuller richer sound. The AMP's and PA's were all tube, no digital circuitry.

Biker
WOW, how my post came up twice I have no idea. Look what happens, I leave for 6 hours and gremlins get in my system.

Well yeah, I understand the history, but look at it now, lets try to bridge the gap.

Christian music is now influenced where most amongst secularism? Probably country right? And that's one genre that can practically have it's own page when it came between religion and politics over the last hundred plus years.

And I agree that even in secular music they give recognition to god. They blame him, they thank him, normally there's always something.

But what's the point?

If secular music gave more of a notation to religion would that make it less cookie cutter?

That's interesting to think about.

Right now the media's garbage. The whole lot in fact. It's either generic country, nu rock or hip hop and nothing's as defined as it were from the trend setters, obviously.

Do you think if it were more christian related it would hinder the music talent and culture?

What ignorantly comes to mind are american band stand or american idol playing ALL THE TIME. Just because people would want to celebrate in their faith.

That seems to be the whole idea in my mind however is that music is celebrated. It's supposed to speak volumes to all peoples and let them celebrate regardless of race, ethnicity or religion.
Sledster,
Hey relax, I was ONLY making an interesting observation!

Biker 8-)

seventil
Scholar

Post #34

Post by seventil »

Sorry to resurrect this old topic, just wanted to share something.

I play the guitar (casually) and my favorite artist is Jack Johnson. For those that don't know, he plays very mellow guitar stuff with a island / hawaii style.

Anyway, my wife is more typically Christian than I am, whatever that means.

We were sitting and enjoying a wonderful afternoon here in the French Riviera listening to one of my Jack CD's as usual. Then she pops this question:

"Hey, is there any Christian singer that is like Jack Johnson?"

I calmly put on a track I knew (Constellations) that had these words:

"It was just another night
With a sunset
And a moonrise not so far behind
To give us just enough light
To lay down underneath the stars
Listen to papas translations
Of the stories across the sky
We drew our own constellations"

and after that I replied:

"That's about as close to God as you'll get in a song."