Trading Spouses

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Vladd44
Sage

Trading Spouses

Post #1

Post by Vladd44 »

I was wondering if anyone caught the episode of Trading Spouses that aired last night. It was a pt 2 of 2.

Having not seen the first part, while at friends the other day we all saw a commercial of this insane woman screeching and yelling at everyone about darkside and casting out devils in jesus name. So we decided to actually watch the show when it aired.

After getting together, drinking a bottle of wine, and then smoking a big fat one, the four of us watched the show.

If you don't know the show, what happens is a mother or father from one family is traded with the other for a week. It is a chance to see people from different cultures, economic rankings, lifestyles etc interact and explore new things.

Being another "reality" program that lacks reality for the most part, it usually misses the mark and ends on a "I learned a lot and it was a great experience" kind of crap.

However on this episode, one of the households was involved with New Age Therapy and Astrology. While the other family didn't seem particularly religious, the mother that went to the new age home became obsessed with the "darkness" in the house she was staying in.

She made quite a spectacle of herself, while the family that didn't share her beliefs actually went to church with her (I would be willing to be it was the first time in months even she had been to church). She was completely unwilling to even listen to what they believed or thought.

After their going to church with her, the father of the family was asking her what her objection to even hearing him out was, to which she went on a rant and told him to leave the room (in his own house). She seemed to think they were pressuring and pushing her, but the father and children were a lot more tolerant and patient of her than I would have been.

On the other hand, the other mother adapted well and had a great time with the crazy womans family. And just for the record I didn't see the other family go to church at all while she was there. If I had to guess, good insane christian woman was one of those inactive christians until she found herself in an area of discomfort.

After the week, the two people that traded spots get to meet. At the meeting the woman goes off on a pity me story and totally misrepresents to the other mother how she was treated at the house.

But the show really got good when the christian woman got home. Her first words upon entering the door home was "Worst week of my life". All I could think was "and let the pity insanity party begin'.

Each family gets $50,000 for doing the show, but the twist is, the spouse that visited is the one that gets to decide how the other family uses the money.

The christian woman goes off on a rant and tells her family that they had a witch in their house, and condemns them for not asking the "right" questions. She then goes off on this rant about being a christian warrior and starts screaming like a mad woman that everything was tainted. And that she would have no part in this tainted money. Screaming, yelling, and even at one point telling the camera people to "get the hell out of her house in jesus name" :P .

After the closing of the show, the producers posted how the other mother had designated their money (since the insane mother never read it on camera) and said after seeing how the money was spent, insane woman decided to take the money after all. I guess the fact the other woman designated a large portion of it to her fat self getting a gastric bypass made it ok to take the money tainted with the "darkside" .

Anyone interested in watching this train wreck I found a torrent you can get here. This is part 2 of 2, I didn't see part one, but I doubt it is possible that pt 1 could live up to pt2.

I am just hoping that the woman gets the psychiatric help she needs. But I was wondering if any christians had seen the show, and if so, what did they think of her as an example of your faith?

She came across as selfish, self centered, close minded, angry and more than a bit unstable IMNSHO.
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.[GOD] ‑ 1 Cor 13:11
WinMX, BitTorrent and other p2p issues go to http://vladd44.com

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #11

Post by Cathar1950 »

Confused wrote:Darn, I thought the thread was about something else :oops:
I wouldn't trade you Confuse.
What did you think it was about?
Maybe it was an ad? :lol:

Vladd44
Sage

Post #12

Post by Vladd44 »

I was thinking Confused was hitting on my wife. :P

Speaking of trading spouses, I would have traded my first one for a half eaten candy bar and felt like I made a good trade. :D
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.[GOD] ‑ 1 Cor 13:11
WinMX, BitTorrent and other p2p issues go to http://vladd44.com

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #13

Post by Cathar1950 »

Vladd44 wrote:I was thinking Confused was hitting on my wife. :P

Speaking of trading spouses, I would have traded my first one for a half eaten candy bar and felt like I made a good trade. :D
If I had a wife I wouldn't trade her as I don't think I can handle another disapointed wife.
I would still end up alone as she would never come back.

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #14

Post by Confused »

LOL. This was the humor I needed for today. But can't swing both ways. Besides, I have no husband to trade, so it would be one sided. I get you, your wife gets a weekend alone.....

(PS. No spouse is worth giving up a candy bar for. Given the choice, TAKE THE CHOCOLATE AND RUN!!!!!!!)
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #15

Post by Confused »

Cathar1950 wrote:

If I had a wife I wouldn't trade her as I don't think I can handle another disapointed wife.
I would still end up alone as she would never come back.

Fear not, we can grow old together. Cyberlife can be more entertaining than most first dates.
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine

-Harvey Fierstein

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #16

Post by Confused »

Cathar1950 wrote:
Confused wrote:Darn, I thought the thread was about something else :oops:
I wouldn't trade you Confuse.
What did you think it was about?
Maybe it was an ad? :lol:

Somewhere along the lines of XXXXXX.
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine

-Harvey Fierstein