None good but God

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

None good but God

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Matthew 19:16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

Question: If there are none good but God how can a not good being pay for my sins?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Wootah
Savant

Re: None good but God

Post #171

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to tam in post #170]

If you are owed money and someone offers to give back a tiny percentage what would you do? If you accept this then you are incompetent.

But you guys seem to insist that you are allowed to be competent but God is not.

Your theology makes God incompetent.

Now we are testing whether you are just making God in your image or not.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

tam
Savant

Post #172

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
Wootah wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 6:54 pm [Replying to tam in post #170]

If you are owed money and someone offers to give back a tiny percentage what would you do? If you accept this then you are incompetent.
Wootah, please see Matthew 18:21-35.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=NIV
Wootah, your reasoning in this thread is so far based on assumptions and what you believe to be rational. Your reasoning is not based on anything Christ said and it is Christ who shows us God. When I posted what Christ said, instead of discussing that, you instructed me to 'take religion off the table.' Why did you do that?
Are you also turning this test to yourself?

Peace again to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy
- Non-religious Christian spirituality

- For Christ (who is the Spirit)

MissKate13
Sage

Re:

Post #173

Post by MissKate13 »

[Replying to tam in post #5]

Easy
Three persons - One God
”For unless you believe that I am, you will die in your sins.” (John 8:24

Wootah
Savant

Post #174

Post by Wootah »

tam wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 12:23 pm Peace to you,

Wootah, your reasoning in this thread is so far based on assumptions and what you believe to be rational. Your reasoning is not based on anything Christ said and it is Christ who shows us God. When I posted what Christ said, instead of discussing that, you instructed me to 'take religion off the table.' Why did you do that?

Peace again to you,
tammy
Hi Tam,

Are you arguing that Jesus fails the test of the: The Parable of the Unmerciful Servant ?

Does Jesus need that mercy?

Then what is the point of Jesus' death?

That parable is about where does our source of love come from. It comes from the love God gave to Christians which we didn't deserve and that we should in turn love others. I would argue if you claim to love from any other place you are not being loving but self agrandising.

tam
Savant

Post #175

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
Wootah wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 12:41 am
tam wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 12:23 pm Peace to you,

Peace again to you,
tammy
Hi Tam,

Are you arguing that Jesus fails the test of the: The Parable of the Unmerciful Servant ?
Of course not. But that does seem to be what you are arguing.

You said that I (and owh) are incompetent if we accept much less (or forgive completely) a debt owed to us. Yet the servant in that parable who REFUSED to forgive the debt of his fellow servant was WRONG. He was SUPPOSED to have forgiven the debt his fellow servant owed him. So how can you call either of us incompetent or irrational for being willing and hopefully actually doing the same?

That parable is about where does our source of love come from. It comes from the love God gave to Christians which we didn't deserve and that we should in turn love others. I would argue if you claim to love from any other place you are not being loving but self agrandising.
So if you can understand that we are supposed to do for others what has been done for us, why do you call it incompetence if owh and I did what we are supposed to do?

Peace to you.

Wootah
Savant

Post #176

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to tam in post #175]

It is irrational to accept less than the full payment. Christians forgive because we have been forgiven. This is very different.

First we need to establish that you rationally understand debt. If I hire you as a cashier would you take a penny from each person or only what they should pay on the bill? Did you ever have a job and did you expect to get paid what you owed?

Why are you obfuscating this? It's basic logic.

If you did, and I know you did expect to get paid what you were owed and I know you wouldn't be a bad cashier then why are you asking God to not be that way? Why are you asking God to take a lesser payment?

tam
Savant

Post #177

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
Wootah wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 1:32 am [Replying to tam in post #175]

It is irrational to accept less than the full payment. Christians forgive because we have been forgiven. This is very different.
Then why are you asking me what I would do? It doesn't matter what I would do. It doesn't matter what you would do. It matters what God would (and did) do.
First we need to establish that you rationally understand debt. If I hire you as a cashier would you take a penny from each person or only what they should pay on the bill? Did you ever have a job and did you expect to get paid what you owed?

Why are you obfuscating this? It's basic logic.
I understand debt, Wootah. But you are making unsupported claims about what is owed, what the payment has to be, and how Christ can't cover that debt as the Son of God (instead of as God Himself.)

If you did, and I know you did expect to get paid what you were owed and I know you wouldn't be a bad cashier then why are you asking God to not be that way? Why are you asking God to take a lesser payment?
I am not.

You are claiming that Christ is a lesser payment (unless He is God Himself, rather than the Son of God.) I have disagreed with that very premise.

Peace again to you.

Wootah
Savant

Post #178

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to tam in post #177]

How can Jesus pay for sins against God?

Wootah
Savant

Post #179

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to tam in post #177]

God would and did pay the full price for our sins. That is what I have been saying and Christianity teaches.

tam
Savant

Post #180

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
Wootah wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 2:18 am [Replying to tam in post #177]

How can Jesus pay for sins against God?
When it comes to Christ paying for our sins, why do you think it makes a difference who the sin is against?
The wage of sin is death.
Sin, period.

Christ Jaheshua paid for our sins. Period.

He is valuable enough to do so. He is the LIFE. He is the beloved Son of God. His life is worth more than all of ours combined. Enough to ransom us back from Death, enough to purchase us back for God. It is LIFE (Christ) for life. (it is not even an equal payment, because Christ is worth more.) And because He is loved by His Father, and because of what He did, He can intercede on our behalf, ask forgiveness for us and have that forgiveness granted.

I do not know where this 'only God can pay for sins against God' doctrine comes from (perhaps you could post where Christ or the apostles or anyone in the NT spoke/wrote about it?) - but if you are going to go there... then, well, God did do that... with His Son (who volunteered/was willing). God gave His only begotten Son, right? (John 3:16)

Peace again to you,
tammy