Jesus is God -Joshua 5 - who was this man?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Jesus is God -Joshua 5 - who was this man?

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Hi all,

Here is a good talk on Joshua 5:

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=NIV
13 Now when Joshua was near Jericho, he looked up and saw a man standing in front of him with a drawn sword in his hand. Joshua went up to him and asked, “Are you for us or for our enemies?”

14 “Neither,” he replied, “but as commander of the army of the Lord I have now come.” Then Joshua fell facedown to the ground in reverence, and asked him, “What message does my Lord[e] have for his servant?”

15 The commander of the Lord’s army replied, “Take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy.” And Joshua did so.
Would Joshua bow down to not God? Don't angels say hey stop worshipping me if they are not God? Why was Joshua commanded to take off his sandals (think back to Moses)?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Savant

Re: Jesus is God -Joshua 5 - who was this man?

Post #2

Post by 1213 »

Wootah wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:21 pm https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=NIV
13 Now when Joshua was near Jericho, he looked up and saw a man standing in front of him with a drawn sword in his hand. Joshua went up to him and asked, “Are you for us or for our enemies?”

14 “Neither,” he replied, “but as commander of the army of the Lord I have now come.” Then Joshua fell facedown to the ground in reverence, and asked him, “What message does my Lord[e] have for his servant?”

15 The commander of the Lord’s army replied, “Take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy.” And Joshua did so.
Would Joshua bow down to not God? Don't angels say hey stop worshipping me if they are not God? Why was Joshua commanded to take off his sandals (think back to Moses)?
Could it be that what Joshua did was not actually worshiping?

Wootah
Savant

Post #3

Post by Wootah »

1213 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 4:34 am
Wootah wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:21 pm https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=NIV

Could it be that what Joshua did was not actually worshiping?
Well what about the parallel to Moses?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Savant

Post #4

Post by 1213 »

Wootah wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 7:33 am Well what about the parallel to Moses?
Sorry, I am not sure, what do you mean with parallel to Moses?

Wootah
Savant

Post #5

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to 1213 in post #4]
Exodus 3:5 “Do not come any closer,” God said. “Take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy ground.” 6 Then he said, “I am the God of your father,[a] the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob.” At this, Moses hid his face, because he was afraid to look at God.:
Who commands the army other than God?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #6

Post by JehovahsWitness »

In bible times (as is the case today) bowing is not necessarily an act of worship. I can simply be a gesture of profound respect and submission.

ABRAHAM AND EPHRON
GENESIS 23:12, 13

In the presence of the sons of my people, I give it to you. Bury your dead.” 12 At that Abraham bowed down before the people of the land 13 and spoke to Eʹphron in the hearing of the people, saying: “Listen to me, if you will! I will give you the full amount of silver for the field. Take it from me, in order that I may bury my dead there.”
ISAAC'S BLESSING
GENESIS 27:29

Let peoples serve you, and let nations bow low to you. Be master over your brothers, and let the sons of your mother bow low to you [ISAAC]. Cursed be everyone who curses you, and blessed be everyone who blesses you

JACOB' S FAMILY MEET ESAU
GENESIS 33:29
At that the female servants came forward with their children and bowed down, 7 and Leah too came forward with her children, and they bowed down. Then Joseph came forward with Rachel, and they bowed down

AHIMAAZ BEFORE KING DAVID
2 SAMUEL 18:28a
A·himʹa·az then called out to the king: “All is well!” With that he bowed to the king with his face to the ground. ...
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Wootah
Savant

Post #7

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #6]

Ok now how about address the topic?

Capbook
Student

Post #8

Post by Capbook »

Wootah wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:14 pm [Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #6]

Ok now how about address the topic?
As Barne's Notes refers the Captain of the host of the Lord as "Divine Person'. I believe it is Jesus.
As Jesus said in John 5:37 that we never heard the voice of the Father nor seen His form.

Joshua 5:14
And he said, Nay; but as captain of the host of the LORD am I now come. And Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and did worship, and said unto him, What saith my lord unto his servant?

[Captain of the host of the LORD] i.e. of the angelic host, the host of heaven (compare 1 Kings 22:19; 1 Sam 1:3, etc.). The armed people of Israel are never called "the host of the Lord," though once spoken of in Ex 12:41 as "all the hosts of the Lord." The Divine Person intimates that He, the Prince (see the marginal references) of the Angels had come to lead Israel in the coming strife, and to overthrow by heavenly might the armies and the strongholds of God's and Israel's enemies.
(from Barnes' Notes, Electronic Database Copyright © 1997, 2003, 2005, 2006 by Biblesoft, Inc. All rights reserved.)