Athanasian Creed - The Man-Made Doctrine

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

2timothy316
Under Probation

Athanasian Creed - The Man-Made Doctrine

Post #1

Post by 2timothy316 »

For clarity, is the Athanasian Creed found here https://www.crcna.org/welcome/beliefs/c ... sian-creed the accepted belief of the trinity for all trinitarians?
If not what is? Who is reading this creed for the first time? Who considers it to be holy scripture?

The creed ends with "one cannot be saved without believing it firmly and faithfully."
If it isn't scripture...How do they have the authority to say such a thing?
Last edited by 2timothy316 on Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Tanager
Savant

Re: Athanasian Creed - The Man-Made Doctrine

Post #91

Post by The Tanager »

2timothy316 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:13 pmWhy change the subject? I have said this before. This thread isn't about what I believe. The title of this thread isn't about what the JW website says either. Start your own thread about the JW website. I'm growing tired of not getting an answer. Getting questions in answer to questions isn't a real answer.
I'm not changing the subject. I'm trying to help you understand my answer since you think I haven't been giving you one. If I could understand your view on that website in relation to scripture (I'm not saying anything about the truth of the specific content), I might be able to help you see my answer concerning the Athanasian creed. Do you consider the JW website scripture? Do you consider that website man-made? Is it something other than those two options?

If you still think I'm playing a game, then you have an out and you can write me off; all I can do is say that I don't play silly games like that and I'm really after communication out of respect for you. We don't agree on theological matters, but I do appreciate discussing things cordially with people who disagree with me to challenge my own views. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this and many other topics here.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #92

Post by 2timothy316 »

The Tanager wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:10 pm
2timothy316 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:13 pmWhy change the subject? I have said this before. This thread isn't about what I believe. The title of this thread isn't about what the JW website says either. Start your own thread about the JW website. I'm growing tired of not getting an answer. Getting questions in answer to questions isn't a real answer.
I'm not changing the subject. I'm trying to help you understand my answer since you think I haven't been giving you one. If I could understand your view on that website in relation to scripture (I'm not saying anything about the truth of the specific content), I might be able to help you see my answer concerning the Athanasian creed. Do you consider the JW website scripture? Do you consider that website man-made? Is it something other than those two options?

If you still think I'm playing a game, then you have an out and you can write me off; all I can do is say that I don't play silly games like that and I'm really after communication out of respect for you. We don't agree on theological matters, but I do appreciate discussing things cordially with people who disagree with me to challenge my own views. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this and many other topics here.
No one else is giving an answer either. But at least you attempted? Apparently I've asked a really hard question. Until there is someone who can let their yes mean yes and their no mean no, there is nothing to discuss.

SiNcE_1985
Apprentice

Post #93

Post by SiNcE_1985 »

onewithhim wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:51 am Jesus is holy because the Father made him so by His commands to His Son which the Son obeyed. (Philippians 2: 8-11) Yes, and Jesus was God's perfect representation. Therefore he could be said to be holy. That must align with other scriptures, and no other scriptures hint that Jesus is God. To see Jesus and the Father as one, that simply means that Jesus and his Father were carbon copies, if you will....like Father, like Son. They agreed on everything, and again, Jesus was a perfect reflection of his Father.
You cannot be a perfect representation of someone who is perfect, without yourself being perfect.

If God has an equal in terms of his holiness, then that which is also holy..is also God.

No way around it.
You got two choices, man; swallow blood, or swallow pride.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #94

Post by onewithhim »

SiNcE_1985 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 5:01 pm
onewithhim wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:51 am Jesus is holy because the Father made him so by His commands to His Son which the Son obeyed. (Philippians 2: 8-11) Yes, and Jesus was God's perfect representation. Therefore he could be said to be holy. That must align with other scriptures, and no other scriptures hint that Jesus is God. To see Jesus and the Father as one, that simply means that Jesus and his Father were carbon copies, if you will....like Father, like Son. They agreed on everything, and again, Jesus was a perfect reflection of his Father.
You cannot be a perfect representation of someone who is perfect, without yourself being perfect.

If God has an equal in terms of his holiness, then that which is also holy..is also God.

No way around it.
My answer stands. We'll see what the truth is when Jesus comes back.

SiNcE_1985
Apprentice

Post #95

Post by SiNcE_1985 »

You got two choices, man; swallow blood, or swallow pride.