Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

TRANSPONDER
Savant

The Fedora and atheism in comedy

Post #1

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Hi all.

I was toying with posting this in Apologetics, but it seemed too trivial really and there's a vid, too.

The thing was, I came across this 'Fedora' thing on my previous board some five years ago I recall by just one poster who was just trying to needle atheists rather than make any kind of argument.

The video 'explains' what that was all about - to take the Fedora hat (which I gather was supposed to be worn by a fat -faced unshaven clod with no social graces) and somehow "Associate that" (the animation says) with atheists. It seems to have dropped off since none of we goddless bastards knew what it was all about, but any recollection of or insights into the 'Fedora apologetic' would be appreciated.

While I'm here, of course, Atheism has done well out of entertainment. Bill Burr, George Carlin, Ricky Gervaise and Dave Allen (Irish comedian qv) have served us well and of course Life of Brian led to an uproar and a televised debate which in hindsight the Church lost because the Film is now a top comedy classic.

In fact I may post some of my favourite 'Entertainment' clips relating to religion.

Of course there have been old religious films that frankly pushed me away from religion rather than towards it (The ten commandments, Pastures green') we have more recent religious films and good luck to them. They are merely 'The Bible in Pictures' which I pored over as a kid but saw as no more than a fairy story.

Alana

Re: The Fedora and atheism in comedy

Post #21

Post by Alana »

The Fedora hat has become somewhat of a symbol associated with atheism in certain comedic contexts, often used to satirize or stereotype a particular type of individual. This association likely stems from the broader cultural perception of the Fedora as a fashion choice associated with a certain style or subculture, often characterized by a sense of self-importance or pretentiousness.

In comedy, the Fedora may be used as a visual cue to quickly evoke certain stereotypes or expectations about a character or group of people. For example, it might be used to portray someone who is overly intellectual or pseudo-intellectual, someone who is socially awkward or out of touch, or someone who is trying too hard to appear sophisticated or edgy.

When combined with atheism, the Fedora may be used to lampoon certain attitudes or behaviors associated with atheistic communities or individuals who identify as atheists. This could include poking fun at the perceived arrogance or certainty of some atheists in their beliefs, their tendency to engage in debates or arguments about religion, or their rejection of traditional religious norms or practices.

It's important to note that comedy often relies on exaggeration, caricature, and stereotype for comedic effect, and the use of the Fedora as a symbol in comedy should be understood in this context. While some may find humor in these portrayals, others may find them reductive or offensive, particularly if they reinforce negative stereotypes or misconceptions about atheism or atheists. As with any form of comedy, the use of the Fedora in comedic contexts should be approached with sensitivity and awareness of the potential impact on different https://zumbaliciouscrew.com/en/zumba-online-class/ audiences.