Is the bible actually inspired?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Student Nurse
Student

Is the bible actually inspired?

Post #1

Post by Student Nurse »

My doubts of Christianity started when I learned that the bible was put together by a commitee. They read various epistles, decided which ones they thought were "inspired", debated some of them (like Esther, Song of Solomon, and 2 others that I can't recall right now) for a very long time before deciding which ones would be placed in the bible. This poses two distinct problems.

1. Some "inspired" books could have been left out if the committee didn't believe it was actually inspired.

2. Some "not inspired" books could have been put in even though they don't belong there.

And, basically, since Christians base their beliefs on the bible, they are essentially basing the core structure of their faith on the faith of someone else (the people who put together the bible).

Other than "internal evidence" that the bible is inspired (I think the verse is in 1 Tim that says that it is), there has been no outside source validating it. This is why many people believe it is just a history book and nothing more.

What evidence is there that people should base their lived upon this religious text?
exploring the universe and myself...

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by McCulloch »

The only answer I've been able to get is that the committee itself is evidence. The committee, made up of proto-Roman Catholics, chose books and writings which were inconsistent with what would become catholicism. God's hand must be at work to use the heretics to preserve his word.

Do not ask me to defend such a position. I cannot.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

juliod
Guru

Post #3

Post by juliod »

2. Some "not inspired" books could have been put in even though they don't belong there.
You mean like Hebrews which was know to be a fake even in ancient days? No, "inspired" is just a security blanket intended to cut off rational questions.

DanZ

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Re: Is the bible actually inspired?

Post #4

Post by The Nice Centurion »

[Replying to Student Nurse in post #1]
1) Inspired by whom or what?

2) Joseph Smith called his bible "The Inspired Version". So this one must be inspired, right?

3) And by mirror thinking; all other versions must be uninspired.

4) The bible a history book? Yeah, right. Of course. That will be the day.

5) The joke here is that christians defend the bible to be a history book, while sceptics more and more try to prove it isnt.

6) But I know what you mean here; History book as in not a book about magic.

7) There are 7 Nice Centurions in the NT.
Thats MY history.
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry again🐟

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

"Joseph Smith can't possibly have been a deceiver.
For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"