Thoughts on forum changes

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Thoughts on forum changes

Post #1

Post by otseng »

Here's a PM exchange I've had with Zzyzx that I want to share. I think many on the forum might also be interested...
otseng wrote:
Zzyzx wrote: Have you received indication that members and moderators dislike the new format? I am trying to withhold judgment, but am leaning negative after a week of use. It is not a matter of resistance to change (which typically troubles me very little).
No, nobody has complained to me yet, but I can understand the sentiment. I've spent years customizing the former forum to what I wanted and now I have to start all over. I don't think anyone is more frustrated and disappointed than me that we're losing a lot of the former functionality.

The problem is the forum software and the OS is obsolete. It's been running on the same software for over 16 years, which in itself is pretty amazing. But, now I'm not able to run the latest software. I was using an older version of PHP and the latest version of PHP doesn't support the old forum.

There's pretty much no choice but to upgrade. By the end of the year, the old OS (CentOS 6) won't be supported anyways. Over the next several years, I'll be modifying the forum, but it will take patience as I do this. And just when I get it to how I would like it, I'll probably have to start all over again.

otseng
Savant

Re: Thoughts on forum changes

Post #11

Post by otseng »

Tcg wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 8:33 pm Are there specific steps we can recommend for those who still may be having trouble logging in?
The Contact us link at the bottom of the forum is the best way. There was a problem with this before, but hopefully I've fixed it now.

otseng
Savant

Post #12

Post by otseng »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 9:13 pm It was a real nightmare to log on and as has been said I think many members may have given up in the changeover.
Yeah, the password was not able to be migrated to the new forum software. And my IP is being flagged as a spam email server for some reason. I've already submitted a ticket with my provider about this issue.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #13

Post by Elijah John »

I think change for it's own sake is seldom beneficial. I see no advantage in the new system. My philosophy is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

But your OP clarifies that it was necessary because of software support issues etc.

They did that to us at work, change for it's own sake. Switched from desktop keyboard computers which were user-friendly and did everything we needed them to do, to counter-intuitive and confusing tablets, which seem (ironically) a radical step backwards. Arrgggh! And in this covid-19 days, the touch screen is downright unsanitary...and gross. :shock:
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #14

Post by Zzyzx »

otseng wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 9:29 pm You'll need to edit out the parts that you don't want to include.
Exactly -- as I just did with your post -- keep the parts needed and take out the remainder -- select and delete.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

historia
Prodigy

Post #15

Post by historia »

I like the new design, especially the 'we_universal' theme. It has a cleaner look and is more readable, particularly for quotes.

It would be nice, in time, to bring back some of the previous features. But on the whole I think the upgrade is an improvement.

tam
Savant

Post #16

Post by tam »

Peace to you all,

I also like the we_universal theme. I haven't been posting this past week or so (been busy off-line), but I didn't have a problem logging back in after resetting my password. Things seem just fine to me, with a couple new features that I like (search feature in individual threads), though I haven't tested that out yet. It's the content that matters more than the layout anyway (at least as long as the layout actually works, lol).

You'll probably find ways to tweak things more to your liking as time goes on, Otseng. I know it can be frustrating to switch over a forum, so thanks for the work you've done.

Peace again!

marco
Savant

Post #17

Post by marco »

The new format is a foreign language that defeats any linguistic skills I think I had. I was battling with the idea of leaving the forum some months ago, but the warmth here was too alluring, what with JW's pleasant sarcasm, Mithrae's free lessons for me and William's advice on how to write .... all lovely. I enjoyed the communication and the pleasant familiarity. We have lost the record of the number of posts we have made, which is a sadness; and we no longer see that people once liked what we said. The past is a foreign country but at least I spoke its language. I accept that change was perhaps forced on us but stumbling about in a haunted midnight forest looking for this forum or that, unable to see what misdemeanour has been reported and relying on the blessings of chance to hit on something one wants is not for Marco. So a fond farewell.

This is undoubtedly the best forum I have ever visited, run by a super-efficient and super-fair gentleman. Of course i have sadness in leaving, but there are many other reasons for my departure: the format change just supplied the nudge I needed. I wish everyone a long and happy stay, with posts inspired either by the Holy Spirit or just the warm winds of chance. Marco belongs to the past, I'm afraid, and with that I say farewell to this lovely forum.

Best wishes. MARCO

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #18

Post by JehovahsWitness »

You will be missed Marco, I hope you will return if your circumstances change.

Fare well,

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

otseng
Savant

Post #19

Post by otseng »

marco wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:45 am Marco belongs to the past, I'm afraid, and with that I say farewell to this lovely forum.
You will be sorely missed. But I wish you well in your future.

tam
Savant

Post #20

Post by tam »

You know you will be missed, Marco, but if you believe it is time for you to move on, then...

Go in peace, dear Marco, and I wish you well on your path!

May you and your loved ones have peace, as my dear Lord Jaheshua gives peace,
your servant in Christ,
tammy