Is it "sinful" to look at photos of unclothed huma

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Is it "sinful" to look at photos of unclothed humans?

Yes
15%
No
85%

Total votes: 26

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Is it "sinful" to look at photos of unclothed huma

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

Zzyzx wrote:"Are you suggesting that "god" is NOT willing to forgive if a person repeats the same 'sin' too often?"
Grand Pbuh wrote:Yes I think so since repeating the sin too often suggests no real repentance in the first place. Like times I have told God I'm sorry for looking at naked women on the Internet then turn around and do it again, over and over. I'm not really sorry, I'm just saying sorry to use like a lucky charm against punishment.
The implication by Grand Pbuh is that looking at nude photographs is "sinful" and requires "repentance" and "forgiveness".

Questions for debate:

1. Do you agree or disagree or offer a different answer? Explain your reasoning.

2. Under what conditions is looking at nude photos "sinful" (or evil, or undesirable)?

3. What biblical instruction prohibits looking at photos?

4. Is it also "sinful" for a religious person to look at unclothed people in person?

5. Is it "wrong" (or "sinful") for a non-religious person to look at nude people or photos? Who makes that determination?

6. Is it more "sinful" to look at photos than to look at actual unclothed people or vice versa?

7. Must one stop looking at nude photos or people completely in order to be "forgiven"?

8. Is this issue an example of human behavior or nature being condemned by religion?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Fallibleone
Guru

Post #81

Post by Fallibleone »

But it's simply not as black and white as that. Of course enjoying looking at naked women is 'normal' for a lot of men. That does not automatically mean that not particularly enjoying looking at naked women is ab normal. I mean - liking grapes is normal. Healthy people like grapes. The taste is pleasurable and it is a natural thing to like grapes and to enjoy eating them. Is not liking grapes abnormal? No, it's just another kind of normal. I can go about saying that say 35% of men prefer looking at women partially clothed. Would you take that as a fact? I hope not. So you cannot say with any degree of certainty that 99.99999999999999999999999999% of men will agree with you. But even if they claimed to, how would you know they were telling the truth, and not just saying what they thought you would like to hear, especially if they knew that you considered disagreement on this point to be abnormal? I'm not even saying that a large percentage of men don't like looking at naked women. This is all very up in the air as far as figures are concerned, but I think that you might be surprised at just how many are with Final Enigma on this one.
In the industrialized west, excluding places where education is a thing of the past (ahem, America), any woman that elects to reproduce out of a feeling of pressure is quite perverse.
I see a lot of sweeping statements in these arguments. I'm not talking about 'reproduce or you will be bringing shame on the family'. I'm talking about all the subtle 'so when are you going to give us our first grandchild?' and 'You've been married two years and no kids? What's the problem?' Trust me, if this is something you experience day in day out, you feel the pressure. There is nothing perverse about someone eventually caving in. It happens a lot.
And I'm not apt to call anyone you know mentally ill. But if they don't enjoy looking at naked women, then I am certainly suprised.
OK, and I can accept that. But by your reckoning they are indeed all mentally ill, simply because they don't enjoy looking at naked women that much.
Maybe they are being slightly disingenuous to improve their standings?
That would presuppose that I find something wrong with men looking at pictures of naked women, which I don't. Such things don't bother me in the least. I think perhaps certain assumptions are being made - eg. that women are all jealous creatures and find it upsetting if their men eye up women. Just as some men, although they are perfectly 'normal', do not enjoy looking at pictures of naked women, so some women, although they are perfectly 'normal', are not all that concerned about whether their partner looks at pictures of naked women.
''''What I am is good enough if I can only be it openly.''''

''''The man said "why you think you here?" I said "I got no idea".''''

''''Je viens comme un chat
Par la nuit si noire.
Tu attends, et je tombe
Dans tes ailes blanches,
Et je vole,
Et je coule
Comme une plume.''''

FinalEnigma
Site Supporter

Post #82

Post by FinalEnigma »

Fallibleone wrote:In the industrialized west, excluding places where education is a thing of the past (ahem, America), any woman that elects to reproduce out of a feeling of pressure is quite perverse.
I see a lot of sweeping statements in these arguments. I'm not talking about 'reproduce or you will be bringing shame on the family'. I'm talking about all the subtle 'so when are you going to give us our first grandchild?' and 'You've been married two years and no kids? What's the problem?' Trust me, if this is something you experience day in day out, you feel the pressure. There is nothing perverse about someone eventually caving in. It happens a lot.
Dumbly enough, I've been getting the grandchild thing since I was 18 from my mom.

And I wasn't even dating.

And I'm not apt to call anyone you know mentally ill. But if they don't enjoy looking at naked women, then I am certainly surprised.
OK, and I can accept that. But by your reckoning they are indeed all mentally ill, simply because they don't enjoy looking at naked women that much.
Maybe they are being slightly disingenuous to improve their standings?
That would presuppose that I find something wrong with men looking at pictures of naked women, which I don't. Such things don't bother me in the least. I think perhaps certain assumptions are being made - eg. that women are all jealous creatures and find it upsetting if their men eye up women. Just as some men, although they are perfectly 'normal', do not enjoy looking at pictures of naked women, so some women, although they are perfectly 'normal', are not all that concerned about whether their partner looks at pictures of naked women.
in the united states the cultural understanding is that it is bad to look at photos of naked women. So I could see men lying and saying that they don't do it.

but saying that they don't enjoy it?
Not to a guy they won't. Not in the environment of incredible homophobia that there is in the united states.