Incest - Acceptable or not?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Incest - Acceptable or not?

Post #1

Post by otseng »

Another thing is, incestrous marriage seems to be approved by God in Abram's and Sarai's case. However, in other parts of the Bible, it was condemned. Now you tell me, shall we have incest or not?
That's a good question. What does the Bible have to say about incest?

frozencell

Post #51

Post by frozencell »

RavEMasteR wrote:Basically, if we consider that we are all from Adam & Eve, we'll all be incestrous bastards; you, me, your parents, everyone!

So, we're basically cornered by God into commiting incest. We have no choice, because every single soul on this damned planet is our brother/sister.

Also, I don't see how genetic defects have anything to do with this. We're talking about whether we should accept incest as a part of our lives, or not.

Oh, before I forget, there's also another person who screwed his two daughters in the desert. And this man was called a righteous one, Lot... Just another form of family values the Bible teaches us. :roll:

Genesis 19:33~36

You tell me, how bout your sister having sex with your father? Sounds good?
I'm extrememly impressed at the ease in which you took this verse completely out of context. You should really refer to verse 32 where is says he wasn't even aware of it. His daughters did it to him without his consent or knowledge. This is called "rape" and not "incest".

Metatron
Guru

Post #52

Post by Metatron »

frozencell wrote:
RavEMasteR wrote:Basically, if we consider that we are all from Adam & Eve, we'll all be incestrous bastards; you, me, your parents, everyone!

So, we're basically cornered by God into commiting incest. We have no choice, because every single soul on this damned planet is our brother/sister.

Also, I don't see how genetic defects have anything to do with this. We're talking about whether we should accept incest as a part of our lives, or not.

Oh, before I forget, there's also another person who screwed his two daughters in the desert. And this man was called a righteous one, Lot... Just another form of family values the Bible teaches us. :roll:

I'm extrememly impressed at the ease in which you took this verse completely out of context. You should really refer to verse 32 where is says he wasn't even aware of it. His daughters did it to him without his consent or knowledge. This is called "rape" and not "incest".
I'd have to side with Frozencell on this one. The "righteous" Lot is clearly guilty of being a drunkard but is depicted as being too intoxicated to realize what's happening with his daughters. The story is mainly an attempt to ridicule the Israelites' neighbors the Moabites and Ammonites who are supposed to be the descendants of the illegitimate offspring of these unions.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #53

Post by Goat »

Metatron wrote:
frozencell wrote:

I'd have to side with Frozencell on this one. The "righteous" Lot is clearly guilty of being a drunkard but is depicted as being too intoxicated to realize what's happening with his daughters. The story is mainly an attempt to ridicule the Israelites' neighbors the Moabites and Ammonites who are supposed to be the descendants of the illegitimate offspring of these unions.
To me, it looks like the stereotypical 'blame the victims' mentality of so many. "She got me drunk and had her way with me".

Metatron
Guru

Post #54

Post by Metatron »

goat wrote:
Metatron wrote:
frozencell wrote:

To me, it looks like the stereotypical 'blame the victims' mentality of so many. "She got me drunk and had her way with me".
Lot would certainly bear some of the responsibilty for allowing himself to drink until stupified two nights in a row even if, as the Bible maintains, that he was unaware of what was going on.

frozencell

Post #55

Post by frozencell »

Lot would definitely be guilty of drunkenness, but not incest. Everyone stumbles. I'm not excusing his drunenness, but at least it's not as bad as getting it on with his daughters.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #56

Post by Goat »

frozencell wrote:Lot would definitely be guilty of drunkenness, but not incest. Everyone stumbles. I'm not excusing his drunenness, but at least it's not as bad as getting it on with his daughters.

I know someone who was a victim of being abused by their father. The excuse in the bible about of 'Oh, they got me drunk and took advantage of me' is the exact defense
their father tried (unsuccessfully).

twobitsmedia

Re: Incest - Acceptable or not?

Post #57

Post by twobitsmedia »

otseng wrote:
Another thing is, incestrous marriage seems to be approved by God in Abram's and Sarai's case. However, in other parts of the Bible, it was condemned. Now you tell me, shall we have incest or not?
That's a good question. What does the Bible have to say about incest?
I do not see any indication that the relationship was incestrous. Abram told the Pharoah she was his sister, but Pharoah was "lalgued" because He believed him and took Sarai.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #58

Post by Zzyzx »

Wasn't a great deal of incest required "fairly recently" if eight people were all that survived the reported flood?

When was that?

There was less than one couple per continent, none for islands, and they repopulated the Earth very quickly -- evidently by copulating with siblings, parents and close relatives.

I think there is something fishy about that tale. Does anyone else detect some inconsistencies and departures from logic, reason, and nature?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence