Do you really care that I am going to hell?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Cmass
Guru

Do you really care that I am going to hell?

Post #1

Post by Cmass »

I don't think you really believe I will fry in Hell for being an Atheist. I don't think you really truly believe any of your non-believing family will either. I think deep down, you know it just isn't true.

If you do believe they will all fry and are not doing absolutely everything in your power to stop it, I would suggest that you are a very cold, dispassionate person. If you really believed your dearly beloved mother was going to burn in hell right next to Cmass and Charles Manson then you would stop at nothing to convince her to accept Jesus. You would not just gently encourage, you would be emotionally and perhaps even physically engaged on a daily and hourly basis. You most certainly would not be reading this silly OP right now. Not if you REALLY cared.

Think about it. If you saw your mother being beaten by someone on the street, would you stop to help save her? Would you put your own life at risk to keep her from drowning? Is there anything you would not do to help her? OK, what about eternal torture in hell? Doesn't this concern you? What about all the other people in your life who are going to hell? Doesn't this leave you feeling devastated? If I believed there was a hell and that so many people would be going - especially any of my friends or family - I would be in constant agony myself and would devote my life to stopping it. Or, I would be numb.

Does your knowledge that so many people will be in eternal torture bother you very much on a daily basis?

This OP came about after reading commentary by some of our more conservative Christian friends in here. Some seem to have no real problem with all us atheists burning in hell forever. Granted, there are probably some personal anger issues involved but still, I have always been uneasy with how casual many Christians are when it comes to discussing eternal damnation. Some get more upset over running over a kitty than the eternal torture of their best friend.

Nonetheless, I give most the benefit of the doubt: I don't think they are really that cold. I just don't think they really believe as much in the hell concept as they report.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #271

Post by Zzyzx »

Biker wrote:I don't have a religion!
I have a Bible! I believe it is Gods word to man!
I have a relationship with a living person named Jesus Christ!
I have a relationship with many other people who have had the same experience as I!
God's Spirit resides in me!
I don't have a religion!
From a different thread:
Biker wrote:I'm a member of the ekklesia and a bond servant of the Most High God.
It would appear as though your statements disagree with one another.

A living person named Jesus Christ? You are pretty sure of this?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Biker

Post #272

Post by Biker »

Zzyzx wrote:
Biker wrote:
Zzyzx wrote:
Biker wrote:If you deny Christ, Christ will deny you before His Father!
Eternity is nothing to gamble with!
The ultimate Christian sales pitch -- intimidate with fear of "eternity" that cannot be shown to exist -- coupled with the equally unproven (and unlikely) promise of "eternal bliss" for those who worship as directed by "priests" and "prophets".

Create a problem (need for "salvation" in an "afterlife") then provide a solution (a "savior") and collect income and influence for being the middle man. One hundred percent profit because the "product" is a promise that becomes due after death (very convenient) costs nothing to make. The whole thing is also tax-free in the US.
Hey,remember He (God) don't exist! So you have nothing to worry about, do you Zzyzx?
Zzyzx wrote:intimidate with fear
If "God don't exist" then its not intimidation, is it? OR ARE YOU NOT QUITE SURE?
The threats are intimidating to many who DO take on the fear. They then seem to assume that other are just as fearful. How silly an assumption.

You got one thing right. I have nothing to fear from imaginary beings – and no doubts that all gods are imaginary, that the “afterlife” is a figment of human imagination, and that religions are a waste of time.

However, many (you for example) show great fear of punishment unless assured of "heaven" in an "afterlife". Many dedicate their real life to guaranteeing a "ticket to heaven".

Professional and amateur religionists have been promising and threatening since superstition and supernaturalism began (that is their sales pitch) -- with NO evidence that any of it has been anything other than pure BS (backed up by more empty claims and pronouncements). Some buy the line, others do not. Buyers often attempt to convince others to accept the same “believe on faith alone” ideas using the familiar threats and promises.

Some are more easily intimidated or coerced or convinced than others.
threats
Where!
take on fear
Make your case!
I have nothing to fear from imaginary beings
Is that why you spend your whole retirement talking about them?
religion are a waste of time
Yeah, yours, as you spend everyday talking about it.
(you for example) show great fear of punishment unless assured of "heaven" in an "afterlife".
That is why you are an unbeliever because you are unable to distinguish truth from a lie! I am motivated by the free gift of grace, mercy, love, forgiveness, full well realizing I am going to be here on this earth but a short time compared to eternity, so why get all entangeled in these temporary things that are passing away, rather than concerning myself with eternal things not passing away!
Lets see, spend all my time in pursuit of things temporary, passing away, or things eternal never passing away? Which should I concern myself with, gee, thats a tough one? True intelligence is making a decision between the temporal and the eternal, choosing the eternal. But then there are those who play the spiritual ostrich game. There is no God, there is no God, I can't see Him.
Zzyzx you've got a big surprise coming soon!
I just hope you repent first and receive Jesus free gift to you!
So you won't go to hell!

Biker

Biker

Post #273

Post by Biker »

Zzyzx wrote:
I have a Bible! I believe it is Gods word to man!
I have a relationship with many other people who have had the same experience as I!
God's Spirit resides in me!
I don't have a religion!
From a different thread:
Biker wrote:I'm a member of the ekklesia and a bond servant of the Most High God.
It would appear as though your statements disagree with one another.

A living person named Jesus Christ? You are pretty sure of this?
It would appear as though your statements disagree
It would appear you are spiritually ignorant!
I'm really sure of it!

Biker

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #274

Post by Zzyzx »

Biker wrote:Zzyzx you've got a big surprise coming soon!
So you won't go to hell!
More threats?

Some people never seem to catch on when their empty threats don't work. Perhaps they think that everyone is as frightened as they are of "hell" or "eternal damnation" or whatever they fear.

The threats make as much sense as:

I don't have a religion!
and
May I quote you for my signature?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Easyrider

Post #275

Post by Easyrider »

Zzyzx: Challenge: Read “The Dark Side of Christian History” & “The Christ Conspiracy”, w/o changing your ideas.

I'm still waiting on someone to do a critically acclaimed work on "The Dark Side of Atheism," with all it's butchery through the ages.

If either of these works has one (one) compelling argument in them that you think is noteworthy that you want to offer up for scrutiny, then I'll invest and read these works. Pony up. Let's see the biggie!

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #276

Post by Confused »

Easyrider wrote:Zzyzx: Challenge: Read “The Dark Side of Christian History” & “The Christ Conspiracy”, w/o changing your ideas.

I'm still waiting on someone to do a critically acclaimed work on "The Dark Side of Atheism," with all it's butchery through the ages.

If either of these works has one (one) compelling argument in them that you think is noteworthy that you want to offer up for scrutiny, then I'll invest and read these works. Pony up. Let's see the biggie!

Moderator Intervention:

As has already been noted by Micatala in an earlier post, please stay on topic. It you wish to debate other topics, feel free to open a new thread.
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #277

Post by Confused »

Biker wrote: It would appear you are spiritually ignorant!
I'm really sure of it!

Biker
Moderator Note:

Avoid personal opinons that are condescending in nature please. Lets try to be tolerant.
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein

Biker

Post #278

Post by Biker »

Zzyzx wrote:
Biker wrote:Zzyzx you've got a big surprise coming soon!
So you won't go to hell!
More threats?

Some people never seem to catch on when their empty threats don't work. Perhaps they think that everyone is as frightened as they are of "hell" or "eternal damnation" or whatever they fear.

The threats make as much sense as:

I don't have a religion!
and
Here, quote this for your signature unbeliever: "And if anyones name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire." Revelation 20:15

Biker

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #279

Post by Goat »

Easyrider wrote:
Zzyzx wrote:
Biker wrote:If you deny Christ, Christ will deny you before His Father!
Eternity is nothing to gamble with!
The ultimate Christian sales pitch -- intimidate with fear of "eternity" that cannot be shown to exist -- coupled with the equally unproven (and unlikely) promise of "eternal bliss" for those who worship as directed by "priests" and "prophets".
I'll take Christ's testimony on heaven and hell over one who isn't God and who doesn't know any better. When you are able to disprove the resurrection of Christ then you can say there's nothing to it.
"Christ" is not god either. It is just one of the standard glorifications that the Roman and Egyptian tradition did, making an ordinary man into a God.

Easyrider

Post #280

Post by Easyrider »

goat wrote:
"Christ" is not god either. It is just one of the standard glorifications that the Roman and Egyptian tradition did, making an ordinary man into a God.
<chuckle>

THE DEITY OF JESUS CHRIST

1. Jesus existed in the beginning (John 1:1; Philip 2:6; Rev. 19:13; Micah 5:2).
2. He was with God (John 1:1).
3. He is God, the Son (John 1:1; Rom. 9:5; Heb. 1:8, 10; I John 5:20).
4. He is God manifest in the flesh (John 20:28; I Tim. 3:16; Col. 2:9; Acts 20:28; Heb. 1:8).
5. He is God foretold (Isaiah 9:6; Psalm 45:6).
6. He is Immanuel, God with us (Isaiah 7:14; Matthew 1:23).
7. He is the true God (I John 5:20 with Titus 2:13; Romans 9:5).
8. He is the great God (Titus 2:13).
9. He is God our Savior (II Peter 1:1).
10. He existed in the form of God before His incarnation and was equal with God the Father (Philippians 2:5-7).
11. He is the only wise God (Jude 25).
12. He is omnipotent over disease. (Matthew 8:1-4; Luke 4:39)
13. He is omnipotent over demons. (Matthew 8:16-17; Luke 4:35)
14. He is omnipotent over nature. ((Matthew 8:26)
15. He is omnipotent over death. (Luke 7:14-15; John 11:25)
16. He is omniscient, knowing the hearts of the Pharisees. (Matthew 12:25;
Luke 5:22; 6:8; 7:39-40)
17. He knew the thoughts of the scribes. (Matthew 9:3-4)
18. He knew the history of the Samaritan woman. (John 4:24)
19. He is omnipresent. (Matthew 18:20; 28:20; John 3:13; 14:20)
20. He was worshiped as God by the angels (Hebrews 1:6); worshiped as
God by the wise men (Matthew 2:2); worshiped as God by the shepherds
(Luke 2:15); worshiped as God by a ruler (Matthew 9:18); worshiped as
God by Thomas (John 20:28); worshiped as God by the apostles (Matthew
14:33; 28:9).
21. He forgives sins. (Mark 2:5)
22. He saves. (Matthew 18:11; John 10:28).
23. He judges. (John 5:22)
24. Paul, Peter, Jude, James, and John called Him God. (Galatians 2:20; 1 Peter
3:22; Jude 25; James 2:1; I John 5:20; Revelation 1:18; 19:16)
25. He is God's Son, who was sent to bring us eternal life. (John 3:16)
26. He arose from death in the flesh (John 20:26-28; Luke 24:39-43; I John 4:2-3).
27. One with the Father (John 10:30).