Do you really care that I am going to hell?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Cmass
Guru

Do you really care that I am going to hell?

Post #1

Post by Cmass »

I don't think you really believe I will fry in Hell for being an Atheist. I don't think you really truly believe any of your non-believing family will either. I think deep down, you know it just isn't true.

If you do believe they will all fry and are not doing absolutely everything in your power to stop it, I would suggest that you are a very cold, dispassionate person. If you really believed your dearly beloved mother was going to burn in hell right next to Cmass and Charles Manson then you would stop at nothing to convince her to accept Jesus. You would not just gently encourage, you would be emotionally and perhaps even physically engaged on a daily and hourly basis. You most certainly would not be reading this silly OP right now. Not if you REALLY cared.

Think about it. If you saw your mother being beaten by someone on the street, would you stop to help save her? Would you put your own life at risk to keep her from drowning? Is there anything you would not do to help her? OK, what about eternal torture in hell? Doesn't this concern you? What about all the other people in your life who are going to hell? Doesn't this leave you feeling devastated? If I believed there was a hell and that so many people would be going - especially any of my friends or family - I would be in constant agony myself and would devote my life to stopping it. Or, I would be numb.

Does your knowledge that so many people will be in eternal torture bother you very much on a daily basis?

This OP came about after reading commentary by some of our more conservative Christian friends in here. Some seem to have no real problem with all us atheists burning in hell forever. Granted, there are probably some personal anger issues involved but still, I have always been uneasy with how casual many Christians are when it comes to discussing eternal damnation. Some get more upset over running over a kitty than the eternal torture of their best friend.

Nonetheless, I give most the benefit of the doubt: I don't think they are really that cold. I just don't think they really believe as much in the hell concept as they report.

Metatron
Guru

Re: Do you really care that I am going to hell?

Post #141

Post by Metatron »

Biker wrote:
Cmass wrote:I don't think you really believe I will fry in Hell for being an Atheist. I don't think you really truly believe any of your non-believing family will either. I think deep down, you know it just isn't true.

If you do believe they will all fry and are not doing absolutely everything in your power to stop it, I would suggest that you are a very cold, dispassionate person. If you really believed your dearly beloved mother was going to burn in hell right next to Cmass and Charles Manson then you would stop at nothing to convince her to accept Jesus. You would not just gently encourage, you would be emotionally and perhaps even physically engaged on a daily and hourly basis. You most certainly would not be reading this silly OP right now. Not if you REALLY cared.

Think about it. If you saw your mother being beaten by someone on the street, would you stop to help save her? Would you put your own life at risk to keep her from drowning? Is there anything you would not do to help her? OK, what about eternal torture in hell? Doesn't this concern you? What about all the other people in your life who are going to hell? Doesn't this leave you feeling devastated? If I believed there was a hell and that so many people would be going - especially any of my friends or family - I would be in constant agony myself and would devote my life to stopping it. Or, I would be numb.

Does your knowledge that so many people will be in eternal torture bother you very much on a daily basis?

This OP came about after reading commentary by some of our more conservative Christian friends in here. Some seem to have no real problem with all us atheists burning in hell forever. Granted, there are probably some personal anger issues involved but still, I have always been uneasy with how casual many Christians are when it comes to discussing eternal damnation. Some get more upset over running over a kitty than the eternal torture of their best friend.

Nonetheless, I give most the benefit of the doubt: I don't think they are really that cold. I just don't think they really believe as much in the hell concept as they report.
"And I saw a great white throne and Him who sat on it, from whose presence earth and heaven fled away, and no place was found for them. And I saw the dead, the great the small, standing before the throne, and books were opened; and another book was opened, which is the book of life; and the dead were judged from the things which were written in the books, according to their deeds. And the sea gave up the dead which were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead which were in them; and they were judged, every one of them according to their deeds. And death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire. And if anyones name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire." Revelation 20:11-15.
If anyone would like to (a) not be thrown into the lake of fire (b) get their name written in the book of life.
Ask me I would be more than happy to help you out!

Biker
Hey, thanks for the offer! :D

Of course, if your God wasn't the cosmic equivalent of the Marquis de Sade, I wouldn't need your assistance.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Biker

Post #142

Post by Biker »

Metatron wrote:
Biker wrote:
Cmass wrote:I don't think you really believe I will fry in Hell for being an Atheist. I don't think you really truly believe any of your non-believing family will either. I think deep down, you know it just isn't true.

"And I saw a great white throne and Him who sat on it, from whose presence earth and heaven fled away, and no place was found for them. And I saw the dead, the great the small, standing before the throne, and books were opened; and another book was opened, which is the book of life; and the dead were judged from the things which were written in the books, according to their deeds. And the sea gave up the dead which were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead which were in them; and they were judged, every one of them according to their deeds. And death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire. And if anyones name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire." Revelation 20:11-15.
If anyone would like to (a) not be thrown into the lake of fire (b) get their name written in the book of life.
Ask me I would be more than happy to help you out!

Biker
Hey, thanks for the offer! :D

Of course, if your God wasn't the cosmic equivalent of the Marquis de Sade, I wouldn't need your assistance.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Hey, don't mention it. I love to tell people how to stay out of those hot licking flames of hell for all eternity. Any time, just ask.

Biker

adlemi
Apprentice

Post #143

Post by adlemi »

McCulloch wrote:A bit of a Catch-22 your God has me in. He won't talk to me unless I believe in Him and I won't believe in Him without evidence, such as Him talking to me.
Whether you like it or not, He is your God, too, because He is the God of all who will render His jugment to all come judgment day and there is no escape. To be or not to be subservient to the Lord, that is the question that we must settle in our life. But your conditional behavior towards God is out of order and non-meritorious in the eyes of God.

adlemi
Apprentice

Post #144

Post by adlemi »

twobitsmedia wrote:
Although I presume you have "higher authority" by "revelation,".
Please don't ever, ever say those words again, no one, even me, is of higher authority over my fellow men, be it in terms of revelation coming from and/or access to God, everybody is at par with each other in the eyes of God, and only God is always high and above over all of us. All we need is a firm belief or faith in God that He is real and that we all should come to God should we want Him also come in to our life.
twobitsmedia wrote: "faith and "belief" are not the same thing. There is no reason for anyone to operate in faith if they don ot believe.
I respect your opinion but it is much safer to consult with the Lord regarding anything that we should believe or put our faith in so that we may be on the right track always.

adlemi
Apprentice

Post #145

Post by adlemi »

Biker wrote: If anyone would like to (a) not be thrown into the lake of fire (b) get their name written in the book of life.
May you please tell us Biker who told you that there will be books of life to be opened come judgment day? Whom did you get this information from?
Biker wrote:Ask me I would be more than happy to help you out!

Biker
How can you be of help to anyone who likes to escape hell? Have you seen hell? Do you know where is hell?

twobitsmedia

Post #146

Post by twobitsmedia »

adlemi wrote:
twobitsmedia wrote:
Although I presume you have "higher authority" by "revelation,".
Please don't ever, ever say those words again, no one, even me, is of higher authority over my fellow men, be it in terms of revelation coming from and/or access to God, everybody is at par with each other in the eyes of God, and only God is always high and above over all of us. All we need is a firm belief or faith in God that He is real and that we all should come to God should we want Him also come in to our life.

But, what if I was to say that I did talk to God and that is what He told me to say????

adlemi
Apprentice

Post #147

Post by adlemi »

twobitsmedia wrote: But, what if I was to say that I did talk to God and that is what He told me to say????
That's only on the "what if" theory basis, but God is real and alive hence you must be talking about God the way He really does exist in His own way. God is only One and there is onlyh one truth with respect to this specific issue. And I wish that you find God the way the biblical characters did. Let us all come to God.

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #148

Post by Confused »

adlemi wrote:
McCulloch wrote:A bit of a Catch-22 your God has me in. He won't talk to me unless I believe in Him and I won't believe in Him without evidence, such as Him talking to me.
Whether you like it or not, He is your God, too, because He is the God of all who will render His jugment to all come judgment day and there is no escape. To be or not to be subservient to the Lord, that is the question that we must settle in our life. But your conditional behavior towards God is out of order and non-meritorious in the eyes of God.
Ok, bring God into existence and I will consider what you have to say.
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #149

Post by Confused »

adlemi wrote:
twobitsmedia wrote: "faith and "belief" are not the same thing. There is no reason for anyone to operate in faith if they don ot believe.
I respect your opinion but it is much safer to consult with the Lord regarding anything that we should believe or put our faith in so that we may be on the right track always.
And how do you know the answer you got was from the Lord rather than subterfuge by the devil?
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein

Openmind
Sage

Post #150

Post by Openmind »

That's only on the "what if" theory basis, but God is real and alive hence you must be talking about God the way He really does exist in His own way. God is only One and there is onlyh one truth with respect to this specific issue. And I wish that you find God the way the biblical characters did. Let us all come to God.
It must seem a shame to you that you and your immediate family are the only ones in the christian world who have this special, direct line to God. No one else on this board claims it. Other christians in the world have though. Some say God tells them different things. What about those that say God told them to kill others?