Do you really care that I am going to hell?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Cmass
Guru

Do you really care that I am going to hell?

Post #1

Post by Cmass »

I don't think you really believe I will fry in Hell for being an Atheist. I don't think you really truly believe any of your non-believing family will either. I think deep down, you know it just isn't true.

If you do believe they will all fry and are not doing absolutely everything in your power to stop it, I would suggest that you are a very cold, dispassionate person. If you really believed your dearly beloved mother was going to burn in hell right next to Cmass and Charles Manson then you would stop at nothing to convince her to accept Jesus. You would not just gently encourage, you would be emotionally and perhaps even physically engaged on a daily and hourly basis. You most certainly would not be reading this silly OP right now. Not if you REALLY cared.

Think about it. If you saw your mother being beaten by someone on the street, would you stop to help save her? Would you put your own life at risk to keep her from drowning? Is there anything you would not do to help her? OK, what about eternal torture in hell? Doesn't this concern you? What about all the other people in your life who are going to hell? Doesn't this leave you feeling devastated? If I believed there was a hell and that so many people would be going - especially any of my friends or family - I would be in constant agony myself and would devote my life to stopping it. Or, I would be numb.

Does your knowledge that so many people will be in eternal torture bother you very much on a daily basis?

This OP came about after reading commentary by some of our more conservative Christian friends in here. Some seem to have no real problem with all us atheists burning in hell forever. Granted, there are probably some personal anger issues involved but still, I have always been uneasy with how casual many Christians are when it comes to discussing eternal damnation. Some get more upset over running over a kitty than the eternal torture of their best friend.

Nonetheless, I give most the benefit of the doubt: I don't think they are really that cold. I just don't think they really believe as much in the hell concept as they report.

Scrotum
Banned
Banned

Post #2

Post by Scrotum »

Cmass, me not being a Theist perhaps invalidates my comments, but i shall say something anyway:

Personally, i suggest you live a good happy life instead of caring about death. As we have thousands and thousands of religions, you cant possible figure out "the right one", and should even be able to (if intellect is not to far away) figure out where religion comes from (maybe education would help there). I have no problems about you "frying in hell", as i would be all allong with you.

Perhaps we could play cards? Or rather, not exist. As we are dead. Death is sorta the ending, and you post will not get many responses from Christians, as they know themselves deep inside its all bunk. Else ALL OF THEM would (maority atleast) fight hard to convert everyone, or they would be emotionlessness human beings, which only a tiny minority are (by this definition). ME, well, i take the hotdogs with me, and just hope you got the marshmallows, but be carefull with does, im a diabetic you know.
T: ´I do not believe in gravity, it´s just a theory

justifyothers
Site Supporter

Re: Do you really care that I am going to hell?

Post #3

Post by justifyothers »

Cmass wrote:I don't think you really believe I will fry in Hell for being an Atheist. I don't think you really truly believe any of your non-believing family will either. I think deep down, you know it just isn't true.

If you do believe they will all fry and are not doing absolutely everything in your power to stop it, I would suggest that you are a very cold, dispassionate person. If you really believed your dearly beloved mother was going to burn in hell right next to Cmass and Charles Manson then you would stop at nothing to convince her to accept Jesus. You would not just gently encourage, you would be emotionally and perhaps even physically engaged on a daily and hourly basis. You most certainly would not be reading this silly OP right now. Not if you REALLY cared.

Think about it. If you saw your mother being beaten by someone on the street, would you stop to help save her? Would you put your own life at risk to keep her from drowning? Is there anything you would not do to help her? OK, what about eternal torture in hell? Doesn't this concern you? What about all the other people in your life who are going to hell? Doesn't this leave you feeling devastated? If I believed there was a hell and that so many people would be going - especially any of my friends or family - I would be in constant agony myself and would devote my life to stopping it. Or, I would be numb.

Does your knowledge that so many people will be in eternal torture bother you very much on a daily basis?

This OP came about after reading commentary by some of our more conservative Christian friends in here. Some seem to have no real problem with all us atheists burning in hell forever. Granted, there are probably some personal anger issues involved but still, I have always been uneasy with how casual many Christians are when it comes to discussing eternal damnation. Some get more upset over running over a kitty than the eternal torture of their best friend.

Nonetheless, I give most the benefit of the doubt: I don't think they are really that cold. I just don't think they really believe as much in the hell concept as they report.
You are right on the money -- if we truly believed that our loved ones would 'burn in hell' for eternity - not just a long time - but forever.......would we simply sit back and say..."they made their choice." ?

I anxiously await the replies to this OP

Metatron
Guru

Post #4

Post by Metatron »

justifyothers wrote:
Cmass wrote:I don't think you really believe I will fry in Hell for being an Atheist. I don't think you really truly believe any of your non-believing family will either. I think deep down, you know it just isn't true.

You are right on the money -- if we truly believed that our loved ones would 'burn in hell' for eternity - not just a long time - but forever.......would we simply sit back and say..."they made their choice." ?

I anxiously await the replies to this OP
You may have a long wait. I've noticed over at the Eternal Damnation thread that the vast majority of Christians who have responded are ones who don't believe in the classic "fire and brimstone" version of eternal damnation. The ones who do (with a couple of exceptions) have largely dodged the issue despite the fact that the thread has 300+ posts. Perhaps they have no defense of their beliefs in eternal torment.

Cmass
Guru

Post #5

Post by Cmass »

Metatron said:
You may have a long wait. I've noticed over at the Eternal Damnation thread that the vast majority of Christians who have responded are ones who don't believe in the classic "fire and brimstone" version of eternal damnation.
I am beginning to think you are probably right. Over the past 6 months I have posted several OPs with similar questions trying to get people to really make a personal, emotional connection with events in hell and have never gotten very satisfactory answers. Some of the longest threads in here are related to who said what in scripture and what they meant by it. The more difficult ones are related to personal feelings about events and behavior......

Vanguard
Guru

Post #6

Post by Vanguard »

Cmass wrote:I am beginning to think you are probably right. Over the past 6 months I have posted several OPs with similar questions trying to get people to really make a personal, emotional connection with events in hell and have never gotten very satisfactory answers. Some of the longest threads in here are related to who said what in scripture and what they meant by it. The more difficult ones are related to personal feelings about events and behavior......
Though this sentiment is not directed necessarily at you, I am becoming somewhat reluctant to "make a personal , emotional connection with events in hell" only because any personal revelation stands a good chance of being ridiculed, trivialized, or reduced to being the product of an ignorant mind.

None-the-less, I do not have an authoritative opinion on where your final state will be. If you are asking me what my hope is then I will say, albeit with a rather limited perspective on your character, that I believe and hope we will all on this forum "be there" after this life. Of course, this presumes that I myself will also enjoy the presence of the Savior in this way... though the jury may still be out. :-

upallnite
Sage

Post #7

Post by upallnite »

being ridiculed, trivialized, or reduced to being the product of an ignorant mind.
If it cannot stand up to a little debate then it is weak. Why would anyone hold on to a weak theology?

Vanguard
Guru

Post #8

Post by Vanguard »

upallnite wrote:
being ridiculed, trivialized, or reduced to being the product of an ignorant mind.
If it cannot stand up to a little debate then it is weak. Why would anyone hold on to a weak theology?
If your definition of "a little debate" includes my descriptives (i.e., trivialization, ridicule, reduction) then I guess we have nothing to pursue any further as I can imagine many more improved forms of constructive debate. When listing those descriptives I guess I should have included "having to tolerate those who would stay upallnite impulsively and prematurely jumping to conclusions to facilitate their own agenda." :whistle: Hey, a little levity never hurt anyone, right? :eyebrow:

upallnite
Sage

Post #9

Post by upallnite »

jumping to conclusions
Ya, I am pretty bad about that.

Easyrider

Post #10

Post by Easyrider »

Au contraire. I believe those who reject Christ are going down to the Pit for eternity, whether they are family or atheists. It's on you, not us.

You will get the Word of God for a time. And once you harden your heart to the truth of Christ's salvation, then that's it. Every time you say no to him that hardens your heart just a little bit more, and makes it that much easier to say no in the future.

We're (Christians in this forum) here to try to lead people to the truth. Yeah, it saddens many of us that people reject Christ. We can only do so much. There's other people to reach and not much time. If you're fortunate, God will send someone else to give you the Word after us. But perhaps not. But I'm not going to feel guilty if people continue to reject Christ. I can feel sad for them, but not guilty.

And here's your word for today: Romans 10:9-10.

God bless.