Biblical Contradictions

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Where do you draw the line on Biblical inerrancy?

There are minor errors of fact and detail which do not alter the material truth or meaning of the text in any way - IE 200 and 2000 is not important as it could easily be a copy error
13%
There are significant variations in the stories and records, none of which are fully accurate, but all of which contain historical truth along with the errors.
11%
There is a vast mix of styles and sources, layered and re-layered over time reflecting traditions and stories relating to the Hebrew people and their God. But, based on independent archeological evidence and literary records, some of it could be possible
21%
It's all a fairy tale, but in its message--sometimes scary, sometimes inspiring. Sometimes looney, sometimes profound. Sometimes outrageously wrong. Sometimes stunningly correct.
20%
It's all a fairy tale, but in its message--sometimes scary, sometimes inspiring. Sometimes looney, sometimes profound. Sometimes outrageously wrong. Sometimes stunningly correct.
20%
The bible is so full of bogus errors that we can nt be sure that there even was any of the people, places or events that it records
15%

Total votes: 71

achilles12604
Site Supporter

Biblical Contradictions

Post #1

Post by achilles12604 »

Ok. I looked over the last few pages of topics and I couldn't find one dedicated to this discussion (much to my surprise). Therefore I am starting it.

What are the biblical contradictions which the atheists keep refering to and what are the answers by apologists.

Ready, set . . . GO!
Last edited by achilles12604 on Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #1161

Post by McCulloch »

Biker wrote:What is more authoritative than the written Word of God?
Answer: nothing.

If there is a God and if that God has revealed His will to humans in written form, that written work would be the most authoritative reference ever.

However this is not the situation we have. We have a written work that some people claim is the written Word of God and more people do not accept that it is the written Word of God. (Actually there are a few texts that people make this claim about.) Some Christians, who are not very well versed in logic, use the claim made in their particular book that it is from God as evidence that it truly is from God. This fallacious circular claim only serves to discredit the entire Christian apologetic movement. Christians would be well advised to avoid even appearing to be making such an illogical argument and gently correcting their brethren who do so.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

wrekk
Scholar

Post #1162

Post by wrekk »

uhhh ... what is more un-authoritative than the written Word of God?

Biker

Post #1163

Post by Biker »

wrekk wrote:
uhhh ... what is more un-authoritative than the written Word of God?
Uhhhh... the theory of monkey man (evolvingness), the theory "there is no God", the insanity that man has the power "within himself" ??? Just to name three right now.

Biker

WelshBoy
Scholar

Post #1164

Post by WelshBoy »

Uhhhh... the theory of monkey man (evolvingness)
You're disgracing the fundamental christian camp again Biker, the ones who stuff their eyes, ears, mouth and brain with the Bible to stop any reason or evidence getting in. I and others have repeatedly given you evidence that evolution is solid science, for which there is new evidence mounting daily. There are PLENTY of christians who accept that it takes place, some of whom post here regularly. If you want to DEBATE, which is the point of this board, then learn some things about debate. When you make a point you need to back it up with evidence, and if you disagree with someone then refute their points WITH CONTRARY EVIDENCE. So far you have provided NO rebuttal of evolution past blanket statements, ad hominem remarks, conjecture and opinion.

For the love of reason, debate!
To the believer, no proof is necessary; to the skeptic, no proof is enough.

Biker

Post #1165

Post by Biker »

McCulloch wrote:
Answer: nothing.

If there is a God and if that God has revealed His will to humans in written form, that written work would be the most authoritative reference ever.

However this is not the situation we have. We have a written work that some people claim is the written Word of God and more people do not accept that it is the written Word of God. (Actually there are a few texts that people make this claim about.) Some Christians, who are not very well versed in logic, use the claim made in their particular book that it is from God as evidence that it truly is from God. This fallacious circular claim only serves to discredit the entire Christian apologetic movement. Christians would be well advised to avoid even appearing to be making such an illogical argument and gently correcting their brethren who do so.
If one has the authoritative document, and there is
McCulloch wrote: nothing
that is more authoritative than this document, where would one appeal? Let me suggest, the document, and the author of the document. So in fact it is not a circular argument, that is a circular argument, based on truth. It is a paradox, sense 1 and 2. As to "which work", that is easy. The work that Jesus the Christ affirmed, very clearly, and distinctly. And the New Work (writings) He charged His followers to write. Jesus or His disciples did not ever quote the other writings.
Logic is a loosely used term, of what logic do you subscribe. Mans wisdom is destined to fail.
"Brethren, join in following my example, and observe those who walk according to the pattern you have in us. For many walk, of whom I often told you, and now tell you even weeping, that they are enemies of the cross of Christ, whose end is destruction, whose god is their appetite, and whose glory is in their shame, who set their minds on earthly things."
"For the word of the cross is to those who are perishing foolishness, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written, 'I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and the cleverness of the clever I will set aside.' Where is the wise man? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not come to know God, God was well pleased through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe. For indeed Jews ask for a signs, and Greeks search for wisdom; but we preach Christ crucified, to Jews a stumbling block, and to gentiles foolishness, but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.For consider your calling Brethren, that there were not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble; but God has chosen the foolish things of the world to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to shame the things which are strong, and the base things of the world and the despised, God has chosen, the things that are not, that He might nullify the things that are, that no man should boast before God."
"But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God; for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised. But he who is spiritual appraises all things, yet he himself is appraised by no man."
"Let no man deceive himself.
If any man among you thinks that he is wise in this age, let him become foolish that he may become wise. For the wisdom of this world is foolishness before God."
Logic? What logic? Mans logic will get you nowhere fast, in the things that matter.
I suggest if you want real truth, logic, go to the source! The Bible, the 66 volume Bible.

Biker

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #1166

Post by McCulloch »

Biker wrote:Logic is a loosely used term, of what logic do you subscribe.
Logic may be loosely used by some, but it is well defined. If you wish to use logic, then use logic. State premises and show how your conclusions must follow from your stated premises. That is logic. It is something like mathematics.
Biker wrote:"For the word of the cross is to those who are perishing foolishness, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. [...] For the wisdom of this world is foolishness before God."
In other words, to have faith you must abandon logic, reason and evidence.
Biker wrote:Logic? What logic? Mans logic will get you nowhere fast, in the things that matter.
I suggest if you want real truth, logic, go to the source! The Bible, the 66 volume Bible.
Why? The Bible has very little logic. I am not saying that to deride it or to defame it. The Bible has very little mathematics or knitting instructions either.

The imam says that if you want real truth and logic, go to the source! The Qu'ran! Now, without reason and logic, how are we to decide which of these, if either at all, contain truth?
Gospel of John

Biker

Post #1167

Post by Biker »

WelshBoy wrote:
Uhhhh... the theory of monkey man (evolvingness)
You're disgracing the fundamental christian camp again Biker, the ones who stuff their eyes, ears, mouth and brain with the Bible to stop any reason or evidence getting in. I and others have repeatedly given you evidence that evolution is solid science, for which there is new evidence mounting daily. There are PLENTY of christians who accept that it takes place, some of whom post here regularly. If you want to DEBATE, which is the point of this board, then learn some things about debate. When you make a point you need to back it up with evidence, and if you disagree with someone then refute their points WITH CONTRARY EVIDENCE. So far you have provided NO rebuttal of evolution past blanket statements, ad hominem remarks, conjecture and opinion.

For the love of reason, debate!
So what! I am not in the "fundamental Christian camp". I could care less who gets offended.
Welschboy wrote: solid science
[quote="welshboy'] new evidence mounting daily [/quote] You and the "science" crowd have nothing but voodoo interpretation of some data. The science crowd is the posterchild for conjecture/speculation, and you have to have faith in greater degree to believe the voodoo of the "scientific" origin of life "poof, bang" there it is? Rather than the Biblical account of creation, especially since Jesus Himself affirmed it! Jesus affirmed the Genesis account of creation, whats your problem? I'm supposed to believe some 20th century "scientist" over Jesus Christ? Are you out of your cotton pickin mind? The "modern scientist" is just looking to suck up to the "scientific" religious community to get more grant money to perpetuate the "MYTH". Science is just a denomination of secular/humanism. Just like Catholic vs Protestant. Same difference.

Biker

Biker

Post #1168

Post by Biker »

McCulloch wrote:
Biker wrote:Logic is a loosely used term, of what logic do you subscribe.
Logic may be loosely used by some, but it is well defined. If you wish to use logic, then use logic. State premises and show how your conclusions must follow from your stated premises. That is logic. It is something like mathematics.
Biker wrote:"For the word of the cross is to those who are perishing foolishness, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. [...] For the wisdom of this world is foolishness before God."
In other words, to have faith you must abandon logic, reason and evidence.
Biker wrote:Logic? What logic? Mans logic will get you nowhere fast, in the things that matter.
Why? The Bible has very little logic. I am not saying that to deride it or to defame it. The Bible has very little mathematics or knitting instructions either.

The imam says that if you want real truth and logic, go to the source! The Qu'ran! Now, without reason and logic, how are we to decide which of these, if either at all, contain truth?
Well its called the "science" of logic? Here we go with that "science" thing again?
Science in of itself is a noble human endeavor. The problem comes in when Atheist/humanism adherents start interpreting data in inventive ways to back their theories.
Gods Word is truth. If science disagrees, its wrong.
As for the Imam, well I guess we will see won't we. Islam doesn't accept Jesus Christ as Savior, regrettably they are wrong. There is only one name by which we must be saved, that name is Jesus Christ.
It is all about Jesus Christ.

Biker

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #1169

Post by McCulloch »

Biker wrote:Well its called the "science" of logic? Here we go with that "science" thing again?
Neither formal logic nor mathematics are sciences. Both are used extensively by all sciences.
Biker wrote:Science in of itself is a noble human endeavor. The problem comes in when Atheist/humanism adherents start interpreting data in inventive ways to back their theories.
Science in of itself is a noble human endeavor. The problem comes in when Theist/Creationist adherents start interpreting data in inventive ways to back their theories.
Biker wrote:Gods Word is truth. If science disagrees, its wrong.
I have already agreed with you on that point. If there is a God and if God has made His will known in written or spoken form, His word must be truth. The problem is epistemological. How do you know that the Bible is God's word? Did you arbitrarily decide to believe it to be that way? Did you apply any form or human reason to come to the conclusion that the Bible is from God? Did you hear voices in your head telling you it is so? How do you know?
Biker wrote:As for the Imam, well I guess we will see won't we. Islam doesn't accept Jesus Christ as Savior, regrettably they are wrong. There is only one name by which we must be saved, that name is Jesus Christ.
It is all about Jesus Christ.
Yet Islam makes a similar claim about Christianity. They say that the worship of Jesus as God is idolatry. And that only by worshiping and serving the one true God can you be saved.

You say they are wrong, they say that you are wrong. How do you decide? You have ruled out using logic and human reason. You have even ruled out science. What do you use?
Gospel of John

wrekk
Scholar

Post #1170

Post by wrekk »

Biker wrote:You and the "science" crowd have nothing but voodoo interpretation of some data. The science crowd is the posterchild for conjecture/speculation, and you have to have faith in greater degree to believe the voodoo of the "scientific" origin of life "poof, bang" there it is? Rather than the Biblical account of creation, especially since Jesus Himself affirmed it! Jesus affirmed the Genesis account of creation, whats your problem? I'm supposed to believe some 20th century "scientist" over Jesus Christ? Are you out of your cotton pickin mind? The "modern scientist" is just looking to suck up to the "scientific" religious community to get more grant money to perpetuate the "MYTH". Science is just a denomination of secular/humanism. Just like Catholic vs Protestant. Same difference.

Biker
So science has it's place in everything but the spiritual realm? Isn't science all about proving something wrong or right based on theories? Testing all the evidence and new information, trying to come to some conclusion? This is bad?

So the guy who defied the church and determined that "fire from God" was actually lightning, was using some "voodoo interpretation of some data"? His agenda was solely to prove the church wrong? Or was he using science to come to better understanding of the cosmos?