Biblical Contradictions

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Where do you draw the line on Biblical inerrancy?

There are minor errors of fact and detail which do not alter the material truth or meaning of the text in any way - IE 200 and 2000 is not important as it could easily be a copy error
13%
There are significant variations in the stories and records, none of which are fully accurate, but all of which contain historical truth along with the errors.
11%
There is a vast mix of styles and sources, layered and re-layered over time reflecting traditions and stories relating to the Hebrew people and their God. But, based on independent archeological evidence and literary records, some of it could be possible
21%
It's all a fairy tale, but in its message--sometimes scary, sometimes inspiring. Sometimes looney, sometimes profound. Sometimes outrageously wrong. Sometimes stunningly correct.
20%
It's all a fairy tale, but in its message--sometimes scary, sometimes inspiring. Sometimes looney, sometimes profound. Sometimes outrageously wrong. Sometimes stunningly correct.
20%
The bible is so full of bogus errors that we can nt be sure that there even was any of the people, places or events that it records
15%

Total votes: 71

achilles12604
Site Supporter

Biblical Contradictions

Post #1

Post by achilles12604 »

Ok. I looked over the last few pages of topics and I couldn't find one dedicated to this discussion (much to my surprise). Therefore I am starting it.

What are the biblical contradictions which the atheists keep refering to and what are the answers by apologists.

Ready, set . . . GO!
Last edited by achilles12604 on Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Biker

Re: John 10:35

Post #1151

Post by Biker »

goat wrote:
wrekk wrote:
Goat, please tell me that was a joke right? Is that guy serious, or is he being sarcastic? I can't figure it out. All I can say to that is.... WOW! :shock:
It was 100% sarcaism... yes it was a joke.

However, look at what Biker wrote. Then compare it to the video. Biker is not joking (I think)
No Goat I'm not kidding. I am dead serious, or should I say Alive serious, alive unto Jesus Christ. Since ONLY by Jesus Christ must one be saved, receive eternal life.

Biker

wrekk
Scholar

Post #1152

Post by wrekk »

Biker wrote:
goat wrote:
wrekk wrote:
Goat, please tell me that was a joke right? Is that guy serious, or is he being sarcastic? I can't figure it out. All I can say to that is.... WOW! :shock:

However, look at what Biker wrote. Then compare it to the video. Biker is not joking (I think)
No Goat I'm not kidding. I am dead serious, or should I say Alive serious, alive unto Jesus Christ. Since ONLY by Jesus Christ must one be saved, receive eternal life.

Biker
So you're stating that your views parallel that of the link he posted?

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #1153

Post by Goat »

Biker wrote:
goat wrote:
wrekk wrote:

Biker
God tells me differently. You don't NEED to be saved. That is the good news. The Good news is you are judged on your actions.. not what magic words you chant.

Easyrider

Post #1154

Post by Easyrider »

goat wrote:
Biker wrote:
goat wrote:
wrekk wrote:

Biker
God tells me differently. You don't NEED to be saved. That is the good news. The Good news is you are judged on your actions.. not what magic words you chant.
"Abram believed the LORD, and he credited it to him as righteousness." Genesis 15:6

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #1155

Post by Goat »

Easyrider wrote:
goat wrote:
Biker wrote:
goat wrote:
wrekk wrote:

Biker
"Abram believed the LORD, and he credited it to him as righteousness." Genesis 15:6
You do love your out of context quotes, don't you :lol

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #1156

Post by bernee51 »

Biker wrote:Its Gods Word because it claims to be that. I believe its claims because Scripture is Gods Word. And I believe that it is Gods Word because it claims to be that, and so.
This is a circular argument! That does not make the argument invalid,...
Yes it does, it is a logical fallacy.
Biker wrote: Bernee, everybody either implicitly or explicitly uses some kind of circular argument when defending his or her ultimate authority for belief.
'Everybody' who is trying to "defend{ing} his or her ultimate authority for belief" may very well do that...'everybody' who does is then in error, making a fallacious argument.

Lucky I am not 'everybody'.
Biker wrote: Gods Word claims that for itself, so I accept it as so!
Your beliefs are only as valid as your argument.
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

William James quoting Dr. Hodgson

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj

Biker

Post #1157

Post by Biker »

bernee51 wrote:
Biker wrote:Its Gods Word because it claims to be that. I believe its claims because Scripture is Gods Word. And I believe that it is Gods Word because it claims to be that, and so.
Biker wrote: Bernee, everybody either implicitly or explicitly uses some kind of circular argument when defending his or her ultimate authority for belief.
'Everybody' who is trying to "defend{ing} his or her ultimate authority for belief" may very well do that...'everybody' who does is then in error, making a fallacious argument.

Bernee,
Did you learn that from wee wee?
What is more authoritive than the written Word of God?
How is it "fallacious argument'?

Biker

Biker

Post #1158

Post by Biker »

goat wrote:
Easyrider wrote:
goat wrote:
Biker wrote:
goat wrote:
wrekk wrote:

Biker
You do love your out of context quotes, don't you :lol
Did Abraham have the Law? Why was Abraham chosen by Yahweh, it wasn't by his adherence to the Law, it was by faith, faith that God would raise the son of promise from the dead, which He did a little later in history, Jesus Christ the real Son of promise.

Biker

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #1159

Post by bernee51 »

Biker wrote:
bernee51 wrote:

Bernee,
Only one of many..would you like others. Go to any site discussing logic. Perhaps yu should have done that before attempting to try and use it.
Biker wrote: What is more authoritive than the written Word of God?
Since he/she/it doesn't exist...just about anything you can possible imagine.
Biker wrote: How is it "fallacious argument'?
If you have to ask why a circularity is a fallacious argument there is no point in answering.

Biker[/quote]
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

William James quoting Dr. Hodgson

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj

Biker

Post #1160

Post by Biker »

bernee51 wrote:
Biker wrote:
bernee51 wrote:

Bernee,
Only one of many..would you like others. Go to any site discussing logic. Perhaps yu should have done that before attempting to try and use it.
Biker wrote: What is more authoritive than the written Word of God?
Since he/she/it doesn't exist...just about anything you can possible imagine.
Biker wrote: How is it "fallacious argument'?
If you have to ask why a circularity is a fallacious argument there is no point in answering.

Biker
[/quote]

Just as I thought, nonsense. Tell me how do you know
Bernee wrote: he/she/it doesn't exist?
Are you sure?

Biker?

Biker