Biblical Contradictions

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Where do you draw the line on Biblical inerrancy?

There are minor errors of fact and detail which do not alter the material truth or meaning of the text in any way - IE 200 and 2000 is not important as it could easily be a copy error
13%
There are significant variations in the stories and records, none of which are fully accurate, but all of which contain historical truth along with the errors.
11%
There is a vast mix of styles and sources, layered and re-layered over time reflecting traditions and stories relating to the Hebrew people and their God. But, based on independent archeological evidence and literary records, some of it could be possible
21%
It's all a fairy tale, but in its message--sometimes scary, sometimes inspiring. Sometimes looney, sometimes profound. Sometimes outrageously wrong. Sometimes stunningly correct.
20%
It's all a fairy tale, but in its message--sometimes scary, sometimes inspiring. Sometimes looney, sometimes profound. Sometimes outrageously wrong. Sometimes stunningly correct.
20%
The bible is so full of bogus errors that we can nt be sure that there even was any of the people, places or events that it records
15%

Total votes: 71

achilles12604
Site Supporter

Biblical Contradictions

Post #1

Post by achilles12604 »

Ok. I looked over the last few pages of topics and I couldn't find one dedicated to this discussion (much to my surprise). Therefore I am starting it.

What are the biblical contradictions which the atheists keep refering to and what are the answers by apologists.

Ready, set . . . GO!
Last edited by achilles12604 on Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Biker

Post #1251

Post by Biker »

WelshBoy wrote:
All of that "off topic" stuff is really nice waste of time? All that stuff and $1.75 will buy you a beer! Big Whoop!!! I can get a beer without it.

Biker, thirsty!
Yeah, but it counters your other point:
You and 10 million phds can't do anything about what these planets do in relation to each other!

Seems we probably can. :D
I think you Phd's secretly want to be Bruce Willis! And ride the asteroid like a cowboy! If one heads this way I suggest you place your head between your legs and kiss your___ (Glutimus Maximus) goodbye, and hope for the best! Or hope for the proper deflection of the object as God designed one aspect of the atmosphere to perform!

Biker

Biker

Post #1252

Post by Biker »

WelshBoy wrote:Fair point, I have taken this off-topic, but we really need to discuss this elsewhere, since if you don't believe the earth goes around the sun contrary to so much evidence, then it is almost not worth debating with you since none of your arguments can be taken seriously. Alternatively, if you DO believe the sun goes around the earth, then you somehow have to reconcile the biblical description of the solar system against the facts, which calls into doubt the inerracy of the bible - which is sort of related to this topic.

As for Biblical contradictions, I believe McCulloch has them somewhere previously. The two genealogies of Jesus for example, they don't match at all.
Welshboy wrote: The two genealogies of Jesus for example, they don't match at all.
And, your point?

Biker?

micatala
Site Supporter

Post #1253

Post by micatala »

McCulloch wrote:
Matthew 27:9 wrote:Then that which was spoken through Jeremiah the prophet was fulfilled: "AND THEY TOOK THE THIRTY PIECES OF SILVER, THE PRICE OF THE ONE WHOSE PRICE HAD BEEN SET by the sons of Israel;
Well not Jeremiah but
Zechariah 11:12 wrote:I said to them, "If it is good in your sight, give me my wages; but if not, never mind!" So they weighed out thirty shekels of silver as my wages.
There is no indication in the text of Zechariah, that this was meant to be a prophesy beyond the current situation between Israel and Judah.
As it is off-topic, I will cease asking Biker his views on the solar system. I will point out that it came up partly because of Biker's claim that the Bible is more authoritative than human wisdom. I gave it as an example to show that, if he believes the solar system is as described by science, then he is, at least in this case, putting reason over the Bible.

At any rate. How would Biker explain this one contradiction raised by McCulloch? THis question certainly is on-topic. It also cannot likely be explained as a copyist error, as in the 22 versus 42 example.

Biker

Post #1254

Post by Biker »

WelshBoy wrote:Fair point, I have taken this off-topic, but we really need to discuss this elsewhere, since if you don't believe the earth goes around the sun contrary to so much evidence, then it is almost not worth debating with you since none of your arguments can be taken seriously. Alternatively, if you DO believe the sun goes around the earth, then you somehow have to reconcile the biblical description of the solar system against the facts, which calls into doubt the inerracy of the bible - which is sort of related to this topic.

As for Biblical contradictions, I believe McCulloch has them somewhere previously. The two genealogies of Jesus for example, they don't match at all.
I am really trying to ascertain what all you folks are trying to get at here?
Welshboy wrote: then you somehow have to reconcile the Biblical description of the solar system against the facts
Could you please elaborate on this for me? Does this have something to do with a (so-called) "Biblical contradiction"?
Explain?

Biker?

Biker

Post #1255

Post by Biker »

micatala wrote:
McCulloch wrote:
Matthew 27:9 wrote:Then that which was spoken through Jeremiah the prophet was fulfilled: "AND THEY TOOK THE THIRTY PIECES OF SILVER, THE PRICE OF THE ONE WHOSE PRICE HAD BEEN SET by the sons of Israel;
Well not Jeremiah but
Zechariah 11:12 wrote:I said to them, "If it is good in your sight, give me my wages; but if not, never mind!" So they weighed out thirty shekels of silver as my wages.
There is no indication in the text of Zechariah, that this was meant to be a prophesy beyond the current situation between Israel and Judah.
As it is off-topic, I will cease asking Biker his views on the solar system. I will point out that it came up partly because of Biker's claim that the Bible is more authoritative than human wisdom. I gave it as an example to show that, if he believes the solar system is as described by science, then he is, at least in this case, putting reason over the Bible.

At any rate. How would Biker explain this one contradiction raised by McCulloch? THis question certainly is on-topic. It also cannot likely be explained as a copyist error, as in the 22 versus 42 example.
Micatala wrote: I gave it as an example to show that, if he believes the solar system is as described by science, then he is, at least in this case, putting reason over the Bible.
Would someone please explain this to me? I don't get it? I don't know how to state it any more clearly? I don't understand your contention, please explain it to me? Do you have a Scripture that science proved wrong in regards to this?

Could someone explain to me what is wrong with Matthew 27:9? What specifically are you questioning?
Mictala wrote: There is no indication in the text of Zechariah, that this was meant to be a prophesy beyond the current situation between Israel and Judah.
So?

Biker?

otseng
Savant

Post #1256

Post by otseng »

Biker wrote:If one heads this way I suggest you place your head between your legs and kiss your___ (Glutimus Maximus) goodbye, and hope for the best!
Moderator formal warning. Please do not say things such as this. Let's keep it respectful and civil.

Biker

Post #1257

Post by Biker »

otseng wrote:
Biker wrote:If one heads this way I suggest you place your head between your legs and kiss your___ (Glutimus Maximus) goodbye, and hope for the best!
Moderator formal warning. Please do not say things such as this. Let's keep it respectful and civil.
Excuse me I misspoke. I meant to say gluteus maximus, the outer most of the glutei. This is a common muscle and wasn't meant to be disrespectful, just descriptive.

Biker

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #1258

Post by McCulloch »

There are two problems with Matthew 27:9. Firstly, it refers to something that is claimed to be from the prophet Jeremiah. Jeremiah is not on record as saying anything like what Matthew claims that he said. Secondly, the passage that Matthew seems to be alluding to in Zechariah (I always get Jerry and Zach mixed up too), is clearly not a messianic prophesy.

It is as if Matthew took random texts from the Tanakh and matched them up with alleged events from Jesus' life and cried voilà, fulfilled prophesy.

Here is another example:
John 19:32-36 wrote:So the soldiers came, and broke the legs of the first man and of the other who was crucified with Him; but coming to Jesus, when they saw that He was already dead, they did not break His legs.
But one of the soldiers pierced His side with a spear, and immediately blood and water came out.
And he who has seen has testified, and his testimony is true; and he knows that he is telling the truth, so that you also may believe.
For these things came to pass to fulfill the Scripture, "NOT A BONE OF HIM SHALL BE BROKEN."
There is no such prophecy.
My reference Bible points to Exodus 12:46; Numbers 9:12; Psalm 34:20
Exodus 12:46 wrote:It is to be eaten in a single house; you are not to bring forth any of the flesh outside of the house, nor are you to break any bone of it.
Numbers 9:12 wrote:They shall leave none of it until morning, nor break a bone of it; according to all the statute of the Passover they shall observe it.
These are commands regarding the Passover dinner, not prophecies.
Psalm 34:17-22 wrote:The righteous cry, and the LORD hears
And delivers them out of all their troubles.
The LORD is near to the brokenhearted
And saves those who are crushed in spirit.
Many are the afflictions of the righteous,
But the LORD delivers him out of them all.
He keeps all his bones,
Not one of them is broken.
Evil shall slay the wicked,
And those who hate the righteous will be condemned.
The LORD redeems the soul of His servants,
And none of those who take refuge in Him will be condemned.
This is a passage about the righteous in general not about a specific one.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Cmass
Guru

Post #1259

Post by Cmass »

Biker,
Take a deep breath man.
I have read through this thread from the beginning and you appear to be fighting like a cornered cat. This is just a debate between anonymous people & is meant to be informative and entertaining - nothing more.
You have cornered yourself with these planetary claims and have given the atheists a bare leg for them to sink their teeth into. Your Christian brothers will not come to your defense on this one because it doesn't make any sense and you cannot offer any more evidence than you can for a flat earth.
To the OP: Do you believe the Bible to be completely without error? Your defense appears to point to that belief.

Biker

Post #1260

Post by Biker »

Cmass wrote:Biker,
Take a deep breath man.
I have read through this thread from the beginning and you appear to be fighting like a cornered cat. This is just a debate between anonymous people & is meant to be informative and entertaining - nothing more.
You have cornered yourself with these planetary claims and have given the atheists a bare leg for them to sink their teeth into. Your Christian brothers will not come to your defense on this one because it doesn't make any sense and you cannot offer any more evidence than you can for a flat earth.
To the OP: Do you believe the Bible to be completely without error? Your defense appears to point to that belief.
Hmmm funny I don't feel out of breath. Don't feel cornered at all. I don't remember any planetary claims? Do you mean what atheists infer I might think?
My legs are Fine. What doesn't make sense? Where do you atheists come up with this flat earth thing?
If you read the thread, you know exactly what I think about the INERRANT Bible!

Biker