Did you know?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

BigChrisfilm
Apprentice

Did you know?

Post #1

Post by BigChrisfilm »

Did you know that Atheism is a religion?

BigChrisfilm
Apprentice

Post #41

Post by BigChrisfilm »

Wyvern wrote:
The constantution can be ADDED TO. NOT taken away from. You can't take anything OUT of it. You can ADD something to it.
Then we are in agreement since that is EXACTLY what I said. The best and I think only example of that is prohibition which had an amendment to enact it and also end it.
So, you can't take out the verses that contain Creator. That is what I said, and that is what I have been talking about this whole time.

Wyvern
Under Probation

Post #42

Post by Wyvern »

So, you can't take out the verses that contain Creator. That is what I said, and that is what I have been talking about this whole time.
Sure if it makes you feel better, the only parts of the constitution that has any relevance legally or legislatively are the bill of rights and the amendments, everything else is just flowery language that has no bearing on real events.

ENIGMA
Sage

Post #43

Post by ENIGMA »

BigChrisfilm wrote:
Scrotum wrote:This is clearly the average American/Creationist thinking that ´Under God´ has been on the money and in the Pledge since God created the Nation (I guess 6000 years ago? haha).

And now he wants to ´fight to keep i´, even when its NOT the original, how ironic is that? Why dont the people against it point out that they should turn back to the original pledge as the Cold War is over and this false propaganda is not improving the people of the Nation, rather making them ignorant.
So, let's say we take out These following verse in the Constatution?

We are all created equal. If we take that out, then what is to stop our government from saying we are all unequal?
You cannot take out that which is not initially in...
We were given unalienable rights by our creator. If we take that out, we no longer have ANY rights. You wanna take out those two verses? You are going to be the end of this nation.
You mean if we don't follow the Declaration of Independence (where those words reside, not the Constitution) to the letter England can claim us back?
Gilt and Vetinari shared a look. It said: While I loathe you and all of your personal philosophy to a depth unplummable by any line, I will credit you at least with not being Crispin Horsefry [The big loud idiot in the room].

-Going Postal, Discworld

Scrotum
Banned
Banned

Post #44

Post by Scrotum »

BigChrisfilm wrote:
Wyvern wrote:
So, let's say we take out These following verse in the Constatution?

We are all created equal. If we take that out, then what is to stop our government from saying we are all unequal?

We were given unalienable rights by our creator. If we take that out, we no longer have ANY rights. You wanna take out those two verses? You are going to be the end of this nation.
The only legislatively important parts of the constitution are the bill of rights and the amendments. I hope you noticed that it took the civil rights movement of the '60's to give african americans official equality. It's also important to not that the voting rights act has been delayed in congress for political reasons.
Those inalienable rights are spelled out in the bill of rights by the way.
I can't believe there are Americans out there like you, that want to change the constatution of the United States. Well, I guess I can, remember, we are waiting for the New World Order. I guess you'll eat that up, won't you.
I know very well you are a follower of Kent, and i myself have seen all his Seminars and find them very amusing.

But you cant seriously believei n anything he says without looking it up? Everything you said i heard been said my Mr Hovind in EXACT WORDS. And as i am not completely uneducated i also know what is plain false, and what is ignorance.

Please, all your arguments have been declared invalid by everyone except the ones efusing to accept the truth. And at the same time your contradicting yourself so openly its close to ludicrous.

Listen, you are paranoid that the NWO will take over the world (That is the Unitd States for you), and have some sort of Despot rule (dictatorship), but at the same time you want complete power and control over the majority of the population and want them to obey your command using the Holy Bible (which would be called a Theocracy, facism, same as dictatorship).

Do you even know what your saying? Or you just cut-and-past for Hovind like sites?

Jester
Prodigy

Re: Did you know?

Post #45

Post by Jester »

BigChrisfilm wrote:Did you know that Atheism is a religion?
I have a couple of reactions to this one:

My first is to wonder weather this is really an important point; it really seems to hang more on one's personal definition of a religion than anything else (after all, we can all agree that Atheism is the belief that there is no God, and that, like everything else, based at least partially on intellectual assumption)

My second thought is more interesting. What are the defining characteristics of a religion? If we limit our understanding of any religion to rituals, altars and having a written text, we have clearly missed the purpose of said religion. Definitions surrounding "a belief in a supreme power" seem more hopeful in terms of a textbook/dictionary definition. It still seems to fall short in terms of explaining the actual religious experience (which each individual may or may not describe with the words "religious" or "God"). Can one experience, through atheism, the same sort of sense of purpose that comes from a religious experience? My instinct is to say "No". I feel that everyone has something for which they live and, intellectually, I must admit that atheism could be that thing for some. As a person, this seems to be a rare situation at best. I have no problem referring to atheism as a belief that is not proven (as I am not an atheist myself), but would leave it at that: a belief (something less psychologically impacting than a religion).
At least, that's my thinking thus far.
So what does everyone else think about this?

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #46

Post by McCulloch »

BigChrisfilm wrote:So, let's say we take out These following verse in the Constatution?

Do you really lack imagination?
How about changing it to say that, "We are all equal under the law." or "We are equal." avoiding reference to the creator.
Amendment XVIII wrote:Section 1. After one year from the ratification of this article the manufacture, sale, or transportation of intoxicating liquors within, the importation thereof into, or the exportation thereof from the United States and all territory subject to the jurisdiction thereof for beverage purposes is hereby prohibited.
Amendment XXI wrote:Section 1. The eighteenth article of amendment to the Constitution of the United States is hereby repealed.
Good system. No changes.

However, it is not the rather weak references to the deist creator in the constitution that really is a problem. How about the blatant establishment of religion in the pledge and printed on the money? Would you object to "In Allah we trust" and "One nation under Allah"?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Re: Did you know?

Post #47

Post by McCulloch »

BigChrisfilm wrote:Atheism is a religion. It even has an ism on the end of it.

Somebody is watching you at Fundies. Your argument based on -ism is clearly false.
  1. impressionism
  2. Sado-Masochism
  3. priapism
  4. fascism
  5. prism
  6. Priaprism
  7. skepticism
  8. Sexism
  9. conservatism
  10. afrocentrism
  11. ageism
  12. ogreism
  13. organism
  14. Capitalism
  15. Egoism
  16. nudism
  17. Truism
  18. onanism
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #48

Post by Cathar1950 »

I like "prism".
I might join that one.
I see a usergroup. :joy:

What would they be called, prismists?

louis

Post #49

Post by louis »

Atheism is a religion, like not collecting stamps is a hobby.

Cephus
Prodigy

Post #50

Post by Cephus »

louis wrote:Atheism is a religion, like not collecting stamps is a hobby.
And bald is a hair color. But it doesn't really matter, BigChris ran away again. Sheesh, this guy has absolutely no staying power.