Did you know?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

BigChrisfilm
Apprentice

Did you know?

Post #1

Post by BigChrisfilm »

Did you know that Atheism is a religion?

BigChrisfilm
Apprentice

Re: Did you know?

Post #11

Post by BigChrisfilm »

Wyvern wrote:
To put it simply atheists don't believe there is no god, they have no belief in god. Notice the difference.
There isn't any differance. Let's replace God with Popcorn. I don't believe in popcorn. I have no belief in popcorn. You are just rewording the statement to fit your interpretation. Atheism is a religion. It even has an ism on the end of it.
Of course there is a difference, belief, one has it the other doesn't.

Again all religions believe in a transcendant figure, whether it is Jesus, Buddha, Allah, Krishna or Bob does not matter. What is atheisms transcendant figure?
Islam has no ism at the end of it, does that mean it's not a religion? Or christianity for that matter.
Would you say Ateist believe that they don't believe in God? If so, that is belief, based on faith. IE, religion.

BigChrisfilm
Apprentice

Post #12

Post by BigChrisfilm »

bernee51 wrote:
BigChrisfilm wrote:Did you know that Atheism is a religion?
No I didn't..because it isn't. It is a claim oft made by theists to try to bolster their beliefs.

Seeing you obviously enjoy reading others works (you quote them often enough) I suggest you look here as to the reasons why you are mistaken.

When YOU come up with a rational argument as to why athesim is a religion I will happily address YOUR arguments.
What? I didn't even quote from anything. Did you even read this thread? You believe that you don't believe in God. That is a belief, and I don't care if you are a religion or not. I am only doing this to show how scared of the word you atheist are. What is so bad about calling your religion a religion annyway? Does it change your view points, or are you just running away from the word like a vampire runs from a cross?

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #13

Post by bernee51 »

BigChrisfilm wrote:
bernee51 wrote:
BigChrisfilm wrote:Did you know that Atheism is a religion?
No I didn't..because it isn't. It is a claim oft made by theists to try to bolster their beliefs.

Seeing you obviously enjoy reading others works (you quote them often enough) I suggest you look here as to the reasons why you are mistaken.

When YOU come up with a rational argument as to why athesim is a religion I will happily address YOUR arguments.
What? I didn't even quote from anything.
I never claimed you did (in this thread)...you do, however, quote extensively from and cite apologist web sites. I'm not sure I have even read anything original from you.
BigChrisfilm wrote: You believe that you don't believe in God.
No - I do not believe what you claim. It is not a belief.
BigChrisfilm wrote: ...and I don't care if you are a religion or not.
So why the baiting?
BigChrisfilm wrote: I am only doing this to show how scared of the word you atheist are.
Andf what would the 'word' we 'athiests' are scared of be?
BigChrisfilm wrote: What is so bad about calling your religion a religion annyway?
You claim it is a religion - it clearly is not. Define religion and then see if your religion and atheism fit that definition.
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

William James quoting Dr. Hodgson

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj

BigChrisfilm
Apprentice

Post #14

Post by BigChrisfilm »

Religion is the belief in something by faith.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #15

Post by McCulloch »

BigChrisfilm wrote:Religion is the belief in something by faith.
The problem comes down to definition of terms.

According to Princeton University's WordNet, Religion is
  • a strong belief in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny
  • an institution to express belief in a divine power
According to The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
    1. Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.
    2. A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.
  1. The life or condition of a person in a religious order.
  2. A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.
  3. A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion.
What is the source of your definition of religion?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Scrotum
Banned
Banned

Post #16

Post by Scrotum »

BigChrisfilm wrote:Religion is the belief in something by faith.
Eh, i dont really know what to say as i suspect you wont listen. NO, Religion is (to most people of the world) ´A strong belief in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny´, but more precise, ´An institution to express belief in a divine power´.

Thats it. Atheism is LACK of belief in such a thing, NO FAITH to start with, nothing. For example, everyone born into this world is atheist by default, as they need to be indoctrinated or told about a God or gods before belief in one.

RELIGION is usually defined by having a deity(s), and having doctrines to follow (not obligatory), such as Islam or Christianity. To claim atheism to be a religion is like claiming that having a JOB means not working, erh, get it ?

Not to mention the worst of it all, If your definition would be accepted (this reminds of John), it would mean EVERYTHING is a religion. The FAITH i have that my car would work, would become a religion, the FAITH i have that i will eat when i get home would be a religion. The FAITH that i will get wet when i shower will be my reli.......... Get it ?

Wyvern
Under Probation

Post #17

Post by Wyvern »

Would you say Ateist believe that they don't believe in God? If so, that is belief, based on faith. IE, religion.
No I would not say that at all. I would say atheists lack the belief that there is a god. They don't believe they don't believe, they KNOW they don't believe, why is this such a hard concept for you to grasp?

BigChrisfilm
Apprentice

Post #18

Post by BigChrisfilm »

Wyvern wrote:
No I would not say that at all. I would say atheists lack the belief that there is a god. They don't believe they don't believe, they KNOW they don't believe, why is this such a hard concept for you to grasp?
Is atheism a religion?

Wisconsin prison inmate Jack Kaufman filed a suit in federal court claiming that his First Amendment rights had been violated because the warden had refused to allow him to practice his religion – atheism. In an ironic ruling that is a victory for religious liberty yet will likely be viewed as a setback for those who subscribe to this particular “religious belief”, the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals agreed with Kaufman that his rights had been violated since atheism is indeed a “religion”: "[W]hether atheism is a “religion” for First Amendment purposes is somewhat different question than whether its adherents believe in a supreme being, or attend regular devotional services, or have a sacred Scripture. The Supreme Court has said that a religion, for purposes of the First Amendment, is distinct from a “way of life,” even if that way of life is inspired by philosophical beliefs or other secular concerns. A religion need not be based on a belief in the existence of a supreme being (or beings, for polytheistic faiths), nor must it be a mainstream faith."

List of Documents
http://www.ca7.uscourts.gov/fdocs/docs. ... it=showdkt
http://www.worldmagblog.com/blog/archives/017109.html

Scrotum
Banned
Banned

Post #19

Post by Scrotum »

The Supreme Court has said that a religion, for purposes of the First Amendment, is distinct from a “way of life,” even if that way of life is inspired by philosophical beliefs or other secular concerns. A religion need not be based on a belief in the existence of a supreme being (or beings, for polytheistic faiths), nor must it be a mainstream faith."
There you go. FOR THE PURPOSE OF HE FIRST AMENDMENT, they simple made a re-definition of it as it was a COURT OF LAW, and as atheism is no religion, and just simple means "lack of belief in a God or gods", it would be pretty hard to claim it under a religious claus.

BUT THEY DID as United States is what is known as a Theocracy, and it would be the only way of actually having any debate about it. Does not change what Atheism actually is (or lack of). Seriously, you should read what you paste.

BigChrisfilm
Apprentice

Post #20

Post by BigChrisfilm »

Scrotum wrote:
The Supreme Court has said that a religion, for purposes of the First Amendment, is distinct from a “way of life,” even if that way of life is inspired by philosophical beliefs or other secular concerns. A religion need not be based on a belief in the existence of a supreme being (or beings, for polytheistic faiths), nor must it be a mainstream faith."
There you go. FOR THE PURPOSE OF HE FIRST AMENDMENT, they simple made a re-definition of it as it was a COURT OF LAW, and as atheism is no religion, and just simple means "lack of belief in a God or gods", it would be pretty hard to claim it under a religious claus.

BUT THEY DID as United States is what is known as a Theocracy, and it would be the only way of actually having any debate about it. Does not change what Atheism actually is (or lack of). Seriously, you should read what you paste.
It doesn't matter why you are a religion, it only matters that you are. Just because you are a religion based on the constatution, doesn't make you any less of one.