WHY did Jesus leave us?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

WHY did Jesus leave us?

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

If Jesus was (is) God-incarnate and also the Messiah, why did he leave us after the resurrection?

Why didn't he stay with us for eternity....on earth?

Why didn't he usher-in the Messianic Age/the Kingdom of God the first time around? (Universal peace under God's rule etc)
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

postroad
Prodigy

Post #11

Post by postroad »

[Replying to post 9 by Elijah John]
Well, what can I say? Another mystery(blasphemy) that must be accepted in order to be saved?

postroad
Prodigy

Re: WHY did Jesus leave us?

Post #12

Post by postroad »

[Replying to post 10 by Tired of the Nonsense]
Or if nothing else at least Lazerus could have been used as a stand in?

marco
Savant

Post #13

Post by marco »

Elijah John wrote: If Jesus was (is) God-incarnate and also the Messiah, why did he leave us after the resurrection?

Why didn't he stay with us for eternity....on earth?

Why didn't he usher-in the Messianic Age/the Kingdom of God the first time around? (Universal peace under God's rule etc)
The wonderful thing about Christianity is that every little problem has its explanation. Taking Jesus as the second person of the Trinity it was never the purpose of his incarnation to remain on earth. He came that we should have an abundance of life, not that he should enjoy an eternity of human flesh. Jesus who died and rose was the end of the redemption story. We are set free; that is the Good News. Death no longer stings. What possible further good would Christ's human form serve. We know the way, the truth and we aspire to a glorious afterlife.

It is said: blessed are those who believe, though Christ be absent. And of course many believe that Christ eternally assists us. We give a cup of water and we give to Christ. We have all we need here and our own efforts bring us fruit. I think all that tells us why Christ went off.

Savant

Post #14

Post by 1213 »

Willum wrote: [Replying to 1213]

Jesus ascends.
Looks around Heaven.
Waives his hand. (Runs a feather duster around?)
Heaven is prepared for the disciples.

Ten minutes later, he is held up by...

Apologies, but the disciples were to be come a few spirits nee men.
What's taking the time?
Maybe it all is ready, but he is waiting this:

This gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world for a testimony to all the nations, and then the end will come.
Matt. 24:14

Maybe the message is not yet really preached to all?

And there is also this that we are waiting:

For I don't desire, brothers, to have you ignorant of this mystery, so that you won't be wise in your own conceits, that a partial hardening has happened to Israel, until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in,

Romans 11:25

Not yet has all come who are meant to be saved.

Willum
Savant

Post #15

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 14 by 1213]

I've approached the problem of Jesus or God is waiting for us to do something before. The result, if I recall was "I'd rather not think about it, or change what I am doing."

Ah, well.

Maybe God is waiting for you folks to do something different.
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #16

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Elijah John wrote:Why didn't he usher-in the Messianic Age/the Kingdom of God the first time around? (Universal peace under God's rule etc)
First of all bravo for understanding what Jesus' mission was and what the Messianic Kingdom is destined to accomplish. That in itself is exceptional.

QUESTION: Why did Jesus not immediatly take over control of the earth and establish his rule (destroying the wicked and bring about a peaceful paradise earth) in the first century?

Jesus' disciples asked him before is return to Heaven:
ACTS 1:6-8
Then they gathered around him and asked him, “Lord, are you at this time going to restore the kingdom to Israel?� He said to them: “It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority. But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.� - NIV
So Jesus indicated two reasons why the

- It was not the Father's time; evidently God had set a specific date and time for this change over of power;

- There was a worldwide witness work to be done. This work would not only mark a sign that the end was approaching but would give individuals the chance to make a good choice and survive the destruction of the wicked to live Under the new governmental regime Under Christ.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Willum
Savant

Post #17

Post by Willum »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness]

Well, at least his reasons are logical, and don't sound contrived to shine folks on at all.
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight

postroad
Prodigy

Post #18

Post by postroad »

[Replying to post 16 by JehovahsWitness] Can these times and dates be changed by God?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #19

Post by JehovahsWitness »

postroad wrote: [Replying to post 16 by JehovahsWitness]

Can these times and dates be changed by God?

I am not in possession of God's diary nor am I privy to what he does or does not do in this regard, its simply information that he has chosen not to share with humans (The bible says "nobody knows the date or the hour"). I won't go beyond what I read in the bible, but I can say that the bible has enough information for the faithful to identify the "generation" and that he is true to his word when he does chose to communicate information.

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

postroad
Prodigy

Post #20

Post by postroad »

[Replying to post 19 by JehovahsWitness] that is not what I asked. Can God change his mind about the set dates and times?