The Bible is not the word of God

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

DrProctopus
Student

The Bible is not the word of God

Post #1

Post by DrProctopus »

A bunch of people who believed that God was talking to them wrote down what they believed God was saying.

The more relevant or successful scriptures were kept and eventually composed into the OT.

Something similar happend after Jesus did his thing, and the NT was produced.

Nowhere in this process do I see any reason to believe that every single word in the Bible is the word of God. Why should I believe someone when they claim to speak for God?

So, the point of debate is this:

Is there actually any decent reason to believe that the Bible is 100% the word of God?

Cephus
Prodigy

Re: The Bible is not the word of God

Post #2

Post by Cephus »

DrProctopus wrote:Is there actually any decent reason to believe that the Bible is 100% the word of God?
Nope, there's no reason to think that the Bible is anything more than it clearly is: a book of mythology. It's no more the word of any god than the Qu'ran, the Vedas, the Enuma Elish, or Webster's Dictionary. At least Webster was real.

In the end, while there might be some good ideas in the Bible, the whole concept that some all-knowing, all-seeing deity came down and whispered in the ear of a bunch of people to write a book really seems pretty silly, doesn't it?

CJK
Scholar

Post #3

Post by CJK »

Is there actually any decent reason to believe that the Bible is 100% the word of God?
There is decent reason to believe that the bible is the word of God, given you were convinced that you are condemned to hellfire if you do not. Which is basically the message of Christianity; you are condemned to hellfire if you dare question the omnipotence of God. However, one can peer into the history of mankind, and witness that Man has created God, not the other way around.

Superstition is quite powerful. Not even hard evidence can shake a believer's faith, as can be observed in this forum. "Religion is the opiate of the masses"

Palpoule

Post #4

Post by Palpoule »

"I believe that God speaks to us through the Bible (in that sense the Bible is "God's word")"

this is what my friend once told me. I responded :

i think that you must take into consideration that the bilble is ALSO full of dreadful stories about genocide, murder, adultery, incest, deceit, greed, arrogance, megalomania, sexual perversion, and all sorts of despicable behavior. How can such a book be "God's word", since God is supposed to be GOOD, and His "words" are supposed to be about heavenly good and beautiful things, right !!?

melikio
Guru

The Bible

Post #5

Post by melikio »

i think that you must take into consideration that the bilble is ALSO full of dreadful stories about genocide, murder, adultery, incest, deceit, greed, arrogance, megalomania, sexual perversion, and all sorts of despicable behavior. How can such a book be "God's word", since God is supposed to be GOOD, and His "words" are supposed to be about heavenly good and beautiful things, right !!?
The Bible covers a lot of ground, as any book about mankind would. And what it garners in any given individual's life, depends greatly upon what they've been taught from it and the specific individual who has been educated from it.

Genocide, muder, adultery...etc., aren't necessarily what PEOPLE who read and/or adhere to the Bible are about. In fact, some who do not regard the Bible one iota, are about all of the things you listed above.

Forcing or being in someone's face about things in the Bible, is the primary problem I see. People should be allowed to learn from it what they can/will. I don't see the point of telling people that it's perfect, the actual Word of God or a bad book overall.

People can learn good and bad things depending upon how/what they are taught; but it doesn't mean that the "Bible" is as bad as some wish to portray it as being.

-Mel-
"It is better to BE more like Jesus and assume to speak less for God." -MA-

Ryoga
Student

Post #6

Post by Ryoga »

first, what is "Bible".
"Bible" means "Book". and "holy bible" = "holy book"
if you search the Bilble you will not find the word "Bible" in it.
so, Who named it "Bible"?
the Bible is a mix of more than 2 books. (maybe 3 I'm not sure)
and the people who mixed these books together called it "Bible"
from these books are the "Torah" the revelation of God to Mosses
the "Torah" is the word of God. but it was changed and manipulated by
humans for greedy and sinful gaols.
then God sent Jessus to us and gave him the revelation which is called "engeel" which is the word of God. and it had the same fate as the "Torah".

the Bible is formed mainly of the Torah and the Engeel
so to answer the question "is the Bilbe the word of God"
the answer is: some of it is the word of God and alot of it is not.
and you can confirm that by simply reading it.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by McCulloch »

Ryoga wrote:first, what is "Bible".
"Bible" means "Book". and "holy bible" = "holy book"
if you search the Bilble you will not find the word "Bible" in it.
so, Who named it "Bible"?
the Bible is a mix of more than 2 books. (maybe 3 I'm not sure)
Actually it is a compilation of sixty-six separate writings (unless you include the Apocrypha). Thirty-nine of them are grouped by Christians together as the "Old Testament" and twenty-seven are grouped as the "New Testament". Although, they are called books of the Bible, many of the ones in the NT are epistles or letters.
Ryoga wrote:
and the people who mixed these books together called it "Bible"
from these books are the "Torah" the revelation of God to Mosses
the "Torah" is the word of God. but it was changed and manipulated by
humans for greedy and sinful gaols.
then God sent Jessus to us and gave him the revelation which is called "engeel" which is the word of God. and it had the same fate as the "Torah".
the Bible is formed mainly of the Torah and the Engeel
Where did you get all of this misinformation? According to Jewish sources the Torah is the five books of Moses, which together with the Prophets and the Writings make up the Christian's Old Testament. As far as I can tell engeel is not a word. The Christian New Testament is made up of the four Gospels, the Acts of the Apostles (a religious history), twenty-one epistles and one prophetic book (the Revelation of John).
Mosses are plants which grow on rocks. Moshe or Moses is the Jewish bringer of the Law. We will assume that you meant goals not gaols (British spelling for jails) and Jesus not Jessus.
Ryoga wrote:so to answer the question "is the Bilbe the word of God"
the answer is: some of it is the word of God and alot of it is not.
and you can confirm that by simply reading it.
How can you confirm that any of the Bible is the Word of God by simply reading it?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

DrProctopus
Student

Post #8

Post by DrProctopus »

So, like...

Is there anyone here who believes the Bible is infallible?

Nick Hallandale
Apprentice

Post #9

Post by Nick Hallandale »

DrProctopus wrote:So, like...

Is there anyone here who believes the Bible is infallible?
I need help from someone with a little faith.
I want a mountain put behind my house.
Matthew 17:20 KJV
20And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Nick Hallandale enterprisestrategy@earthlink.net
If GOD gave us a conscience, doesn''t he expect us to obey?
If GOD expects us to obey, can we expect judgement and reward or punishment?

DrProctopus
Student

Post #10

Post by DrProctopus »

I don't see the point of your post Nick?