The End Times Are Very Near

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

axeplayer
Apprentice

The End Times Are Very Near

Post #1

Post by axeplayer »

There is a lot of evidence supporting the idea that the end times and the rapture are very near to happening. for example, the United Nations fulfill the prophesy that very near to the end times, the world will be united as one, and there will be peace on the earth(even though we're a long way from peace). also, barcodes, credit cards etc. are an early warning to the mark of the beast being used to pay for all of our expenses. In college station, Texas, there are stores where you can pay for your groceries, appliances, etc., with your thumbprint. So what does everyone else think? Are the end times and Judgement Day near?

trencacloscas
Sage

Post #41

Post by trencacloscas »

haha, they will just re-interpet that passage, it could mean anything. One Generation for an american is 21 years. One generation for anyone with education is a lifetime (80 years for a Swede, 75 for an American for example).
Sure, but how a generation can endure 2000 years? :o

axeplayer
Apprentice

Post #42

Post by axeplayer »

Another point to consider about the proximity of the second coming is the fact that in Revelation it talks about the two prophets, whom no one can injure. Then, the two prophets are somehow killed in the streets, and according to Revelation, the whole world sees it. This wouldn't have been possible in past times, but now with satellites and the internet and cable tv, the whole world could see something at the same time.

MagusYanam
Guru

Post #43

Post by MagusYanam »

One problem with a literalist interpretation of Revelation (or any other scriptural book, for that matter), is that it doesn't seem to take the subject matter seriously. Take, for example, when a history book is talking about the battle of Concord. When the American militiamen stormed the north bridge and fired at the British, it was a 'shot heard round the world'. Obviously though, it is not suggesting that everyone around the world could hear the shot but rather that it was an event of great significance.

Likewise, when St. John is talking about the 'peoples and tribes and languages and nations' gazing at the dead bodies of the two witnesses for three and a half days, he is probably not saying that everyone would be seeing it, but rather that it will be (or has been) an event of great significance.

axeplayer
Apprentice

Post #44

Post by axeplayer »

trencacloscas wrote:
Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled. Mat 24:34
Yeah, prophecies are trustful indeed. 8)

Long live the charlatans! :eyebrow:
In my Bible, it has the word "Race" as an alternate word for generation. This means that the race or species of humans will not pass until Jesus returns for us.

juliod
Guru

Post #45

Post by juliod »

I just want to point out one thing, since this thread bubbled up again:
Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:04 am Post subject: The End Times Are Very Near
The original post was made on the above date. It's now 24 May, and the world has not ended.

I remember people making the same claims in mid September 2001, for some reason. The world didn't end then either.

So, how many times will christians make themselves look like fools before the see that the world isn't going to end?

DanZ

axeplayer
Apprentice

Post #46

Post by axeplayer »

i dont remember ever giving a timeframe for the rapture to happen.....I just said they were near.

Dilettante
Sage

Post #47

Post by Dilettante »

axeplayer wrote:
In my Bible, it has the word "Race" as an alternate word for generation. This means that the race or species of humans will not pass until Jesus returns for us.
Well, that really is stretching things a bit. It sounds too much like an ad hoc hypothesis. That would be, to the best of my knowledge, the one and only instance of the Greek word genea meaning "race". It means "generation" (contemporaries) everywhere else.

Jose
Guru

Post #48

Post by Jose »

axeplayer wrote:Another point to consider about the proximity of the second coming is the fact that in Revelation it talks about the two prophets, whom no one can injure. Then, the two prophets are somehow killed in the streets, and according to Revelation, the whole world sees it. This wouldn't have been possible in past times, but now with satellites and the internet and cable tv, the whole world could see something at the same time.
Ah, so this is why technology is the downfall of Man. I dunno, though. It'll be pretty hard to get those TVs--especially with cable--to everyone. There are some pretty remote places in the world, and some very, very poor people. I'd imagine that if they had money, they'd spend it on food, not on TV. I think if you want to hurry those end times along, you'll need to work on raising the standard of living worldwide.
axeplayer wrote:i dont remember ever giving a timeframe for the rapture to happen.....I just said they were near.
People have been saying this off and on for a long time. I wonder whether they didn't get it wrong in the translation, and it was actually supposed to be some kind of "rupture" that's going to happen.

This must make it difficult. Should we live our lives as if there's no tomorrow, and revel in licentious hedonism, or should we assume that there will be tomorrow, and that the state of the world depends on our making the right decisions now? I'd think we'd want to do the latter, just to be safe--and get out the ecology books and start learning real fast.
Panza llena, corazon contento

foshizzle
Apprentice

Post #49

Post by foshizzle »

This must make it difficult. Should we live our lives as if there's no tomorrow, and revel in licentious hedonism, or should we assume that there will be tomorrow, and that the state of the world depends on our making the right decisions now? I'd think we'd want to do the latter, just to be safe--and get out the ecology books and start learning real fast.
I find a happy medium by living my life as though it's /my/ last day, but with the world happily continuing. I figure when the 'end times' happen, I'll probably know them. I've seen Armageddon ;).

So I live trying to make the most out of every day. A final destination is something I also strive for, but I'd like to make a worldly impact on the way.

juliod
Guru

Post #50

Post by juliod »

i dont remember ever giving a timeframe for the rapture to happen.....I just said they were near.
In fact you said the it was "very near" on 5 March.

"Very near" is itself a time-frame, and I think it has clearly passed.

This shows the utter vacuity of christian thinking. You use words without even any intention that they actually mean something.

On 5 March, did you expect the world to still be here on 25 May? If so, why did you say "very near"? Do you expect the world to still be here on 3 August? How about 1 June 2008?

DanZ