The End Times Are Very Near

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

axeplayer
Apprentice

The End Times Are Very Near

Post #1

Post by axeplayer »

There is a lot of evidence supporting the idea that the end times and the rapture are very near to happening. for example, the United Nations fulfill the prophesy that very near to the end times, the world will be united as one, and there will be peace on the earth(even though we're a long way from peace). also, barcodes, credit cards etc. are an early warning to the mark of the beast being used to pay for all of our expenses. In college station, Texas, there are stores where you can pay for your groceries, appliances, etc., with your thumbprint. So what does everyone else think? Are the end times and Judgement Day near?

youngborean
Sage

Post #31

Post by youngborean »

That, my friend, is an empirically false assertion. Confucianism has no doomsday scenario, being one of the most practical of religions. Confucianism deals with the here and now (namely the proper behaviour for members of a just society) as we should probably be doing more.
I will absolutely concede this point. But I would suggest that in practice Confucianism is a philosophy that has been interwoven with Buddism, which does have a doomsday type scenario, with each Epoch, etc. But in isolation, and as an ideal, Confucianism is concerned with the here and now.

juliod
Guru

Post #32

Post by juliod »

You are right in saying that many Christians believe in the end of the world, so what? You are dead wrong in stereotyping these types of Christians as pro-nuclear holocaust. Especially without evidence.
I've given you the evidence repeatedly. The desire for a nuclear war is only one possible christian view. There are, no doubt, others. The current end-times loonies are still just as dangerous.

DanZ

The Happy Humanist
Site Supporter

Post #33

Post by The Happy Humanist »

juliod wrote:
You are right in saying that many Christians believe in the end of the world, so what? You are dead wrong in stereotyping these types of Christians as pro-nuclear holocaust. Especially without evidence.
I've given you the evidence repeatedly. The desire for a nuclear war is only one possible christian view. There are, no doubt, others. The current end-times loonies are still just as dangerous.

DanZ
Without enmiring myself in the particulars of how some cults feel the end times will come about, may I place myself in agreement with the general contention that End Times theology in general is dangerous, and inimical to human progress. "Why bother with long-term plans to save the environment? Jesus is comin' real soon now. We won't have to worry about it."

So that we can at least argue on the same page, perhaps that is the direction this thread should take?
Jim, the Happy Humanist!
===
Any sufficiently advanced worldview will be indistinguishable from sheer arrogance --The Happy Humanist (with apologies to Arthur C. Clarke)

rapture101
Student

Post #34

Post by rapture101 »

Wow.i cant wait till Jesus comes back.I think the end of days are close.I cant say now or tomorrow.No one knows.Im just saying that the the time is on a rise.i hope I have enough time to write my book about it before it happens.The end of days will be harsh.Soo many belives will be lead away.all I can say for now is Christ will return.The antichrist soon there after.then some of then most deifying times of our lives or our grandchilderns lives.There will be war and fammions.The sun is believed to go blood red.Thinks will happen thats never been seen before.The 7 judgement seals. It will be terrifing.

Dilettante
Sage

Post #35

Post by Dilettante »

rapture101 wrote:Wow.i cant wait till Jesus comes back.I think the end of days are close.I cant say now or tomorrow.No one knows.Im just saying that the the time is on a rise.i hope I have enough time to write my book about it before it happens.The end of days will be harsh.Soo many belives will be lead away.all I can say for now is Christ will return.The antichrist soon there after.then some of then most deifying times of our lives or our grandchilderns lives.There will be war and fammions.The sun is believed to go blood red.Thinks will happen thats never been seen before.The 7 judgement seals. It will be terrifing.
You sound as if you believed that the Book of Revelation is an accurate description of the end of the world. Such a position would strike me as naive. Are you familiar with the symbols used by the author? Are you familiar with the different interpretations which have been made to date? Waht is the basis for your interpretation?

trencacloscas
Sage

Post #36

Post by trencacloscas »

Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled. Mat 24:34
Yeah, prophecies are trustful indeed. 8)

Long live the charlatans! :eyebrow:

rapture101
Student

Post #37

Post by rapture101 »

[You sound as if you believed that the Book of Revelation is an accurate description of the end of the world. Such a position would strike me as naive. Are you familiar with the symbols used by the author? Are you familiar with the different interpretations which have been made to date? Waht is the basis for your interpretation?[/quote]

Im me.I belive what i belive.I belive the Bible.And it is true.I have read the left behind series and I belive they are accurate.the series may not be 100 percent true but I belive they are hinting towards the predicted end of days.

Dilettante
Sage

Post #38

Post by Dilettante »

rapture 101 wrote:
Im me.I belive what i belive.I belive the Bible.And it is true.I have read the left behind series and I belive they are accurate.the series may not be 100 percent true but I belive they are hinting towards the predicted end of days.
But surely you must have some reasons for believing that, other than because you've been told it's true or because it just rings true to you. And you must have studied the symbolic language and the historical context first. You must have considered the other interpretations as well and judged their validity. The text of Revelation is pretty obscure.
You can't make something true just by believing it to be true. What is your belief based on?

LillSnopp
Scholar

Post #39

Post by LillSnopp »

trencacloscas wrote:
Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled. Mat 24:34
Yeah, prophecies are trustful indeed. 8)

Long live the charlatans! :eyebrow:
haha, they will just re-interpet that passage, it could mean anything. One Generation for an american is 21 years. One generation for anyone with education is a lifetime (80 years for a Swede, 75 for an American for example).

You can't make something true just by believing it to be true. What is your belief based on?
Once again, hahaham OFCOURSE THEY CAN, thats what this is all about. They all believe in things they cant explain, because, simon says: Faith.

foshizzle
Apprentice

Post #40

Post by foshizzle »

Once again, hahaham OFCOURSE THEY CAN, thats what this is all about. They all believe in things they cant explain, because, simon says: Faith.
Are all of your sardonic statements really necessary?