The Trinity is illogical and irrational.

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Celsus
Apprentice

Post #1

Post by Celsus »

If The Son = God and The Father = God and the Spirit = God then The Son = The Father = The Spirit.

Which obviously is not the case since all three interact with each other as separate entities and did different things in the biblical stories.

The Son, The Father and The Spirit can form God together but not each be totally God.

1+1+1 = 3 and not 1.

1/3 + 1/3 + 1/3 equals to 1 of course. But that's not what the Christian dogma says.

So is there anyone in here claiming that the Trinity can be explained logically and rationally?

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Re: The Trinity is illogical and irrational.

Post #211

Post by Zzyzx »

liamconnor wrote: Can we not exercise some humility?
Those who desire to be humble are welcome to do so.
liamconnor wrote: Do you really think that Plato, Plotinus, Augustine, Boethius, Aquinas etc. etc. etc. etc. could be debunked by YOU on some random www. forum? That these guys had never studied "arithmetic"...?
Such people (or their “representatives�) are welcome to debate here and demonstrate how 1+1+1=1 in anything other than fantasy or imagination.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

marco
Savant

Post #212

Post by marco »

liamconnor wrote:

Can we not exercise some humility? Do you really think that Plato, Plotinus, Augustine, Boethius, Aquinas etc. etc. etc. etc. could be debunked by YOU on some random www. forum? That these guys had never studied "arithmetic"...?
Thankfully other people have not exercised humility when countering theological claims with their own facts, else we would still have the sun moving round the earth.

Wisdom isn't grown in special hothouses. It can be evidenced just as well on "some random www. forum " through the participation of anonymous Augustines. If the collective intelligence here fails to impress, the solution would surely be to supply some that does.

Willum
Savant

Post #213

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 210 by liamconnor]

Hi Liam:

I am afraid the least of us have 1500 years on the greatest of minds you mention. The least of us can borrow 1500 years of criticism of those greats.

If we see so far, it is because we can stand on their shoulders. I think it was Aristotle who believed men and women had different numbers of teeth, and nautilus couldn't swim close to the surface because they got heat-stroke.

You think these folks are great, if we sent you back in time 2500 years, you'd be greater than all of them, you'd just have to say what they said. You'd eclipse Newton and Pasteur with a casual stroke of your knife.

I feel a little as if you have slighted me directly, the premise I put forward of the Trinity: That Earth-bound Jesus was the body or corpse of the Trinity, the Holy Spirit the soul, and God the mind seems like it might be an "unhumble" perspective.

But it wasn't meant that way. Just a way of looking at it that answers the OP constructively.
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #214

Post by ttruscott »

Monta wrote:
ttruscott wrote:
Willum wrote: [Replying to marco]

Perhaps the trinity is:
Mind - Body - Soul..../quote]

The Trinty is three persons in one Unity, not three parts of one person...pretty tough stuff.
Back to split personality. Three headed monster ( no disrespect to God but this is exactly how it is portraid).
Hardly. Again this is three parts of the same thing...not three people in a Uinity. Keep trying though.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Willum
Savant

Post #215

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 214 by ttruscott]

Says you. But my explanation is so much better than yours... so what have you got other than telling me I am wrong. Not a productive way to debate, and quite contrary to the principles of the forum.
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight

Monta
Guru

Post #216

Post by Monta »

[Replying to ttruscott]

"Hardly. Again this is three parts of the same thing...not three people in a Uinity. Keep trying though."

Sorry. I must have confused your post with three 'persons'.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #217

Post by Bust Nak »

[Replying to post 188 by Monta]

I am many many parts. As to which part is speaking to you? Not just one part but a subset of those many many parts: those parts dealing with the brain and muscle movement.

I am also a part of something bigger - part of my family, part of my company.

A whole having parts is intuitive. So why is it so important that the one God is not made of three distinct parts, each part being equal in power and authority?

I read the Proof of doctrine from Scripture from the Catholic Encyclopaedia provided by OpenYourEyes (thanks,) but that didn't answer my question. The passage emphasise a few points: 1) That Jesus, the Father and the Holy Spirit are equally divine. 2) The three are distinct but unified. 3) There is one and only one God.

One God in three part seems to meet all their requirement without inventing this weird mystery, that they acknowledge that cannot be fully understand. That's just a round about way of saying it's irrational.

Monta
Guru

Post #218

Post by Monta »

[Replying to post 217 by Bust Nak]

"One God in three part seems to meet all their requirement without inventing this weird mystery, that they acknowledge that cannot be fully understand. That's just a round about way of saying it's irrational."

That's a typical saying, it's a mystery to me, that which we do not understand.
There's a lot more what we do not know/understand about our earthly existence
than what we do know.
We shall never, not to eternity, understand God
but we can understand things coming FROM him.
We are created he is Creator

I can go along with Catholic version; neither is it irrational because
I have all the pieces that fit togather.

marco
Savant

Post #219

Post by marco »

Monta wrote:
than what we do know.

I have all the pieces that fit together.

You're confusing theological and vernacular, Monta. When we say something is irrational we usually mean this disparagingly. When we say it's a mystery we usually scratch our heads.

A mystery, in theological terms, is a TRUTH which is beyond reason but is revealed to us by God. Since it is beyond reason, it is properly called irrational. Thus, if you think you have all the pieces that fit together either you have got something wrong or Monta is God. I'll reserve my adoration.

O:)

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #220

Post by Bust Nak »

Monta wrote: "One God in three part seems to meet all their requirement without inventing this weird mystery, that they acknowledge that cannot be fully understand. That's just a round about way of saying it's irrational."

than what we do know.
Sure there are lots of things that we do not know or understand, but how many of those things can be said to be fundamentally beyond understanding? We don't know much about dark matter, we'll figure it out with enough resource thrown at it. We don't know how our brains work, we'll figure it out with enough resource thrown at it.

There is a word for things that we shall never, not to eternity, understand, that word is irrational - not logical or reasonable.
I have all the pieces that fit togather.
But you don't have the pieces that fit together, you said you do not understand it, remember?

Nor have you answered my question: One God in three part seems to meet all the requirement: One and only one God, three distinct persons, equally divine and united. Why is one God in three part not an adequate alternative to the Trinity?