Why didn't Paul write about what Jesus said and did? Or can you show us that he

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

oldbadger
Guru

Why didn't Paul write about what Jesus said and did? Or can you show us that he

Post #1

Post by oldbadger »

Paul DID constantly explain the communion and the resurrection of Jesus....yes he did.

But he didn't seem to write anything about the life and times of Jesus......... Can you tell us why?

Maybe he didn't think that the words and actions of Jesus were that important?

Clownboat
Savant

Re: Why didn't Paul write about what Jesus said and did? Or can you show us that he

Post #31

Post by Clownboat »

oldbadger wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:53 am Paul DID constantly explain the communion and the resurrection of Jesus....yes he did.

But he didn't seem to write anything about the life and times of Jesus......... Can you tell us why?

Maybe he didn't think that the words and actions of Jesus were that important?
Jesus would be rolling in his grave right now if he knew what Paul had done with his message (if we are to believe the Bible that is).

Rom 13:12 Paul says: the night is far gone, the day is at hand.
Luke 21:8 Jesus Says: Take heed that you are not led astray, for many will come in my name saying, the time is at hand! Do not go after them.
It's almost like Jesus was warning us about Paul.

Rom 14:9 Paul says: For to this end Christ died and lived again, that he might be Lord both of the dead and of the living.
Luke 20:38 Jesus says: Now he is not God of the dead, but of the living, for all live to him.
Lord of the dead if you ask Paul, not Lord of the dead if you ask Jesus.

Rom 9:15-16 +18 Paul says: For he says to Moses, "I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion." [16] So it depends not upon man's will or exertion, but upon God's mercy. [18] So then he has mercy upon whomever he wills, and he hardens the heart of whomever he wills.
Matt 5:7 Jesus says: Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy.
Paul claims that God will have mercy on whom he has mercy. Jesus shares with us that the merciful will obtain mercy.

Eph 1:7 Paul says: In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace.
Rom 4:25 Paul says: who was put to death for our trespasses and raised for our justification.
Matt 6:14-15 Jesus says: For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father also will forgive you, [15] but if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.
Paul says you need to accept the sacrifice of Jesus to be redeemed (compensate for the faults). Jesus claims that if you forgive others, God will forgive you too.

Rom 3:24 + 28 Paul says: they are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus,… [28] For we hold that a man is justified by faith apart from works of law.
Rom 5:9 Paul says: Since, therefore, we are now justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God.
Matt 12:37 Jesus says: for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.
More of Paul making this about the sacrifice if Jesus. Jesus on the other hand claims that we will be justified by our words.

Rom 6:23 Paul says: For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal live in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Matt 19:29 Jesus says: And every one who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or lands, for my name's sake, will receive a hundredfold, and inherit eternal life.
Paul once again makes this about the death of Jesus. Jesus on the other hand alludes to a very different way to receive eternal life and does not mention human sacrifice.

These are just a few examples. Like I said, Jesus would be rolling in his grave right now if he knew what Paul had done.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

oldbadger
Guru

Re: Why didn't Paul write about what Jesus said and did? Or can you show us that he

Post #32

Post by oldbadger »

William wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:02 pm
oldbadger wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:08 pm
William wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:38 am [Replying to The Tanager in post #12]
Paul wouldn’t call Jesus “the Lord” if he didn’t care about Jesus.
Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. Matthew 7:21-23

Many care about their particular idea of "Jesus". Paul was well positioned to be a deciever - to lead folk astray...how do/can we know for sure?

Is there any point in following after Pauls word? Can anything in Paul's writing be identified as possibly contrary to what the gospels say Jesus taught?
Wow!
What an amazing post!
The overall point of my post is to show that the buck apparently starts with and continues on with "what Jesus said" - not "what Christians say", and not even with what any other scripture says or even claims (as in "all scripture is inspired by God") and that while Jesus said "follow me" (to those listening to him at the time as per the gospels) he was actually not pointing to himslef but rather to his understanding of "God" (as The Father - Jesus did no directly call "God" by any particular other name/naming device).

His "pointing" was making claims about God (in relation to himself) and saying that every human being also has to have the same relationship with The Father as he (the son) claimed to have.

For that to occur, we are informed that Jesus acts as an "introducer" between \God/ and a \human personality/.

"William Dad - Dad, William." - after which - Dad and William (Father and Son) begin their interaction.

Not "William - Paul" or "William-Pastor/Priest" et al nor even "William - Bible".

The Bible is simply "William - Jesus"...that which introduces Jesus to the human personality.

So - if someone were to ask me "William, do you have a relationship with The Father Jesus spoke about?" I can reply, "Yes - I believe so" and base this on the discernment that for "oh so many years" the relationship has strengthened, not in small part to how The Father provides me (this subjective personality) with verification by aligning said subjective personality with objective happenings (things that are going on) re the human personality experience.

I also understand why Jesus (per the bible) went on about it so much. I see no point is being distracted by the external voices of apostles, saints, angels cultures politics et al because The Father is clearly The Voice I need be listening to.

Now why did you have to tell us your thoughts about what Jesus said, when Paul could have been explaining all this 2000 years ago?

If only he had made mention of what his Lord said and did in his letters! So no, I don't think that he had enough interest in Jesus....he wanted the new churches to be a about his ideas, and the warnings of Jesus read clearly, all this time on from then.

oldbadger
Guru

Post #33

Post by oldbadger »

Clownboat wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:29 pm Jesus would be rolling in his grave right now if he knew what Paul had done with his message (if we are to believe the Bible that is).

Luke 21:8 Jesus Says: Take heed that you are not led astray, for many will come in my name saying, the time is at hand! Do not go after them.

Rom 14:9 Paul says: For to this end Christ died and lived again, that he might be Lord both of the dead and of the living.
Luke 20:38 Jesus says: Now he is not God of the dead, but of the living, for all live to him.

Rom 9:15-16 +18 Paul says: For he says to Moses, "I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion." [16] So it depends not upon man's will or exertion, but upon God's mercy. [18] So then he has mercy upon whomever he wills, and he hardens the heart of whomever he wills.
Paul claims that God will have mercy on whom he has mercy. Jesus shares with us that the merciful will obtain mercy.

Eph 1:7 Paul says: In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace.
Rom 4:25 Paul says: who was put to death for our trespasses and raised for our justification.
Matt 6:14-15 Jesus says: For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father also will forgive you, [15] but if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.
Paul says you need to accept the sacrifice of Jesus to be redeemed (compensate for the faults). Jesus claims that if you forgive others, God will forgive you too.

Rom 3:24 + 28 Paul says: they are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus,… [28] For we hold that a man is justified by faith apart from works of law.
Rom 5:9 Paul says: Since, therefore, we are now justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God.
Matt 12:37 Jesus says: for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.
More of Paul making this about the sacrifice if Jesus. Jesus on the other hand claims that we will be justified by our words.

Rom 6:23 Paul says: For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal live in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Matt 19:29 Jesus says: And every one who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or lands, for my name's sake, will receive a hundredfold, and inherit eternal life.
Paul once again makes this about the death of Jesus. Jesus on the other hand alludes to a very different way to receive eternal life and does not mention human sacrifice.

These are just a few examples. Like I said, Jesus would be rolling in his grave right now if he knew what Paul had done.
Excellent post!
I seem to remember that Cephas stood up to Paul at times, so maybe he felt the same way as Jesus would have done?

I feel sure that Paul was an impost.

Savant

Post #34

Post by 1213 »

oldbadger wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:06 pm
1213 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:31 am
oldbadger wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:28 am ...
But Paul does not ever tell the people 'See what Jesus did when..........' or 'Remember what Jesus said..........'
Ok, I think it is understandable, because he was not with Jesus when Jesus was on earth. He converted after Jesus had already died and risen. If he would speak like he would have been with Jesus on earth, it would ruin the credibility of the story.
Really? Is that what you think when/if you hear priests, pastor's, vicars etc reminding congregations about what Jesus said or did?

No credibility for them?
Sorry, I don't mean person can't speak of what he has heard from others. I meant, person can't speak like he was with someone, if he was not with the someone.

The Tanager
Savant

Post #35

Post by The Tanager »

Clownboat wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:29 pmJesus would be rolling in his grave right now if he knew what Paul had done with his message (if we are to believe the Bible that is).

If Paul and Jesus are talking about the exact same thing, then these could be contradictions. Why do you think, from the contexts, they are talking about the exact same thing in each pair of verses?

William
Savant

Post #36

Post by William »

[Replying to oldbadger in post #32]
If only he had made mention of what his Lord said and did in his letters! So no, I don't think that he had enough interest in Jesus....he wanted the new churches to be a about his ideas, and the warnings of Jesus read clearly, all this time on from then.
Yes, it is possible that Paul intended to have people follow the letter of his Law and that he (for Rome) couldn't contain/eradicate the ripple effect Jesus had caused and so he (Rome) devised a story which would drown out that quiet ripple effect and by the replacement, achieve containment and a type of eradication.
In my church-going days I did notice the tendency to use Jesus as a means of guilting and Paul as a means of instructing the guilty into servitude.
The Vain Brain is meat headedness having no comprehension of the mind which uses it, refusing to hand over the helm to that mind and refusing to assume its placement as subordinate to the mind. Post #36

oldbadger
Guru

Post #37

Post by oldbadger »

1213 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:46 am
Sorry, I don't mean person can't speak of what he has heard from others. I meant, person can't speak like he was with someone, if he was not with the someone.
Ah, now you are reminding me of G-John's author, making out that he was with Jesus's mother Mary at the foot of the cross.

As G-Mark tells us, only Magdalene, Salome and some other brave women had remained, and watched 'from afar'.

Roman soldiers carrying out an execution wouldn't have allowed the local people to get anywhere near them.

Savant

Post #38

Post by 1213 »

oldbadger wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:48 am Ah, now you are reminding me of G-John's author, making out that he was with Jesus's mother Mary at the foot of the cross.
As G-Mark tells us, only Magdalene, Salome and some other brave women had remained, and watched 'from afar'.
Could it be that Mark just didn't know that they moved closer, when Jesus was dying? Perhaps Mark left and didn't know that the others moved closed in the end?
oldbadger wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:48 am Roman soldiers carrying out an execution wouldn't have allowed the local people to get anywhere near them.
And you know that because you were there watching? :D

Clownboat
Savant

Post #39

Post by Clownboat »

The Tanager wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:49 am If Paul and Jesus are talking about the exact same thing, then these could be contradictions. Why do you think, from the contexts, they are talking about the exact same thing in each pair of verses?
From the words:
Paul: In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses
Jesus: For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father also will forgive you,

Blood is involved with how Paul's religion has forgiveness come about. (Christianity)
Jesus's claimed words do not involve blood, just compassion. (Mahayana Buddhism perhaps?)

The fact that there are so many examples like the few I have supplied is what matters and it suggest what many of us suspect already, that Paul was out to create a new religion. Sure it is based off of the claimed sacrifice of Jesus, but that is not a requirement if we heed the claimed words of this Jesus.

Take getting eternal life, the main reward the religions claims awaits after death:

Paul on creating his church:
1 Cor 12:28 Paul says: And God has appointed in the church first apostles, second prophets, third, teachers.
Eph 4:11 Paul says: And his gifts were that some should be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, some pastors and teachers,
1st Tim 2:7 Paul says: For this I was appointed a preacher and apostle (I am telling the truth, I am not lying), a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and truth.

Now Jesus:
Matt 23:8 Jesus says: But you are not to be called rabbi, for you have one teacher, and you are all brethren.
John 10:16 Jesus says: And I have other sheep, that are not of this fold, I must bring them also, and they will heed my voice. So there shall be one flock, one pastor (shepherd).
It's like Paul is justifying creating a church while Jesus tells us that we only have one teacher (God).

These seemingly differing opinions about both religious ideas are not in short supply and is what has caused me to notice that Paul and Jesus were not unified. I do wish we had actual words from Jesus to review though, but we don't so speculation is the best we can do.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Clownboat
Savant

Post #40

Post by Clownboat »

1213 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:02 am
oldbadger wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:48 am Ah, now you are reminding me of G-John's author, making out that he was with Jesus's mother Mary at the foot of the cross.
Could it be that Mark just didn't know that they moved closer, when Jesus was dying? Perhaps Mark left and didn't know that the others moved closed in the end?
oldbadger wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:48 am Roman soldiers carrying out an execution wouldn't have allowed the local people to get anywhere near them.
And you know that because you were there watching? :D
If the Bible is just a collections of the writings of men, your explanation would make sense.
If there was an all powerful and all knowing god concept behind the writings, what you say wouldn't make sense.