Where's God?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

POI
Prodigy

Where's God?

Post #1

Post by POI »

Does he pop up in my dreams? Is he the one whom produces my goose-bumps? Is He the one giving me my "moral compass"? Is he only experienced during deep meditation? If I have enough faith, will he appear to me? But seriously. Where is he? I was a Christian for decades. I earnestly prayed for him to reach me, to no avail.

For debate: Why have I not felt his presence?

A) I never tried hard enough; lack faith
B) He does not want to reveal Himself to me (yet)
C) Evil is blocking the request(s)
D) I'm too dumb to realize he's reaching me
E) He's not really there at all <- Current conclusion

Do not answer yet. This topic has spawned from another unrelated topic. I decided to devote this large topic to itself. Below are some premises:

P1) does god exist? (dunno)
P2) does god want a relationship with all, especially the ones who seek him (apparently so)
P3) is god capable of communicating (apparently so)
P4) can god communicate his message in a way in which the recipient could no longer deny (apparently so)
P5) have I asked for this communication earnestly and repetitively (YES)
P6) does the Bible state god answers the call to all who seek him (YES)

At best, god has opted not to contact me YET. And this would be after decades of actively seeking him. Without any emotion, I'm logically left with 2 options.

A) God is not really there <- Current conclusion.
B) God is not adhering to his promise (yet).
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Shem Yoshi
Sage

Re: Where's God?

Post #21

Post by Shem Yoshi »

[Replying to POI in post #1]

You should stay faithful my friend.
“Them that die'll be the lucky ones.”

PolytheistWitch
Student

Post #22

Post by PolytheistWitch »

[Replying to brunumb in post #20]

If you haven't had an experience what is the basis for belief? Are you really a theist or engaging in ritual and prayer because it's habit, soothing or tradition?

brunumb
Savant

Post #23

Post by brunumb »

PolytheistWitch wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:40 am [Replying to brunumb in post #20]

If you haven't had an experience what is the basis for belief? Are you really a theist or engaging in ritual and prayer because it's habit, soothing or tradition?
I've already addressed that. The vast majority of belief is established through indoctrination and then maintained by peer pressure and regular ritual practices. Godly experiences are either invented, imaginary or misinterpretation of natural phenomena due to religious conditioning. I have no doubt that many theists engage in ritual and prayer because it's habit, soothing or tradition as you suggested.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

PolytheistWitch
Student

Post #24

[Replying to brunumb in post #23]

Yes those of us that have had spiritual experiences have some sort of bad DNA that makes us unable to determine exactly what's going on in our life and to interpret what we've actually personally experienced. You atheists really lucked out on not having this genetic defect. If someone has never encountered a deity then they've labeled them self as theists but they're not theists.

Tcg
Savant

Post #25

Post by Tcg »

PolytheistWitch wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:28 am [Replying to brunumb in post #23]

Yes those of us that have had spiritual experiences have some sort of bad DNA that makes us unable to determine exactly what's going on in our life and to interpret what we've actually personally experienced.
I doubt this is related to DNA. Folks jump to all kinds of unfounded interpretations of what they experience.
You atheists really lucked out on not having this genetic defect. If someone has never encountered a deity then they've labeled them self as theists but they're not theists.
This is even close to being correct. Theism versus atheism isn't based on an experience of what one thinks is a god/gods. All who believe in god/gods are theists. It matters not why they hold this belief.

Atheists are those who lack belief in god/gods. It's really not complicated at all.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

POI
Prodigy

Post #26

Post by POI »

Shem Yoshi wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:00 am [Replying to POI in post #1]

Then I suggest you start, or continue to remain faithful, in all the competing god-faiths, for which you have not YET had personal experiences of such a god(s) speaking to you. And maybe, eventually, you will experience what all of them, in these other competing faiths, also experience :)
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #27

Post by Athetotheist »

[Replying to POI in post #18
I thought Jesus rose from the grave to save me, and that there was too much evidence to deny this claim. I then tried my darndest to have him communicate with me.
What did you want communicated to you, specifically? That Jesus rose from the grave? Was having that confirmed to you the only thing which would convince you that God was talking to you? If something different were communicated, would you consider that a possible message?

PolytheistWitch
Student

Post #28

[Replying to POI in post #26]
all the competing god-faiths
And you guys whine about being misunderstood.

Shem Yoshi
Sage

Post #29

Post by Shem Yoshi »

POI wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:26 am
Shem Yoshi wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:00 am [Replying to POI in post #1]

Then I suggest you start, or continue to remain faithful, in all the competing god-faiths, for which you have not YET had personal experiences of such a god(s) speaking to you. And maybe, eventually, you will experience what all of them, in these other competing faiths, also experience :)
Do you personally believe these others are true?

Shem Yoshi
Sage

Post #30

Post by Shem Yoshi »

The truth is that someone can only speculate why someone doesn't believe in God. Those speculations could include the person not being sincere or not a true Christian, while both could be valid reasons given Christ own word neither is appropriate to debate about on this website given the rules of the site.

I personally agree with Simon Greenleaf who said:
"Of the Divine character of the Bible, I think, no man who deals honestly with his own mind and heart can entertain a reasonable doubt, For myself, I must say, that having for many years made the evidences of Christianity the subject of close study, the result has been a firm and increasing conviction of the authenticity and plenary inspiration of the Bible. It is indeed the Word of God"

I would think it is not a big problem to believe in God. You could simply put your faith in Jesus Christ.
Last edited by Shem Yoshi on Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.