Why are there 33,839 different Christian denominations?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Why are there 33,839 different Christian denominations?

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

If Christianity is based upon the Bible, and if the Bible is “the infallible word of god” (or even the fallible word of god) why are 33,830 different Christian denominations recognized by the World Christian Encyclopedia?

Supposedly these denominations are all worshiping the same god from the same (or similar) ancient text. How can one god be “infallibly correct” in 33,830 different ways?

If there are at least 33,000 different “interpretations” of “god’s word”, it seems as though any interpretation can be just as valid as any other and words can be “redefined” to mean exactly the opposite of their common meaning.

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #11

Post by Cathar1950 »

Confused wrote:Mc:

Where in the world do you find all this stuff?
Your graph and breakdown does a great job in differentiating. But is there any way to tell why each denomination split from the mainstream one or the sub mainstream of another?
The family tree has a lot of branches.
One thing we need to notice is except of the possibility of Paul and a few others we don't know much until the second century. What we find is diversity and we many using an allegorical reading of the Hebrew writings including Daniel, Jubilees and Enoch. The earliest writings sound like Essenes or the Therpeutae. Even Philo was a fairly liberal when it came to circumcision. Most if not the entire NT is from the Diaspora. Yet all of these claim to be the authentic church of the beginning.
There was none as the apostles were having visions. Religion in the USA is surly a free market commodity.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #12

Post by McCulloch »

Confused wrote:Where in the world do you find all this stuff?
It is not hard to find stuff on Wikipedia.
Confused wrote:Your graph and breakdown does a great job in differentiating. But is there any way to tell why each denomination split from the mainstream one or the sub mainstream of another?
Yes. Review individually the history of each denomination and its parent. It would be a daunting task, Christianity has quite a tangled history.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

tonytony
Banned
Banned

Re: Why are there 33,839 different Christian denominations?

Post #13

Post by tonytony »

Zzyzx wrote:If Christianity is based upon the Bible, and if the Bible is “the infallible word of god” (or even the fallible word of god) why are 33,830 different Christian denominations recognized by the World Christian Encyclopedia?

Supposedly these denominations are all worshiping the same god from the same (or similar) ancient text. How can one god be “infallibly correct” in 33,830 different ways?

If there are at least 33,000 different “interpretations” of “god’s word”, it seems as though any interpretation can be just as valid as any other and words can be “redefined” to mean exactly the opposite of their common meaning.
Somebody hungry for truth and simple knowledge only. How good that's needed.
Any big shot can be an expert and take on a label, nonprofit organization, and even get posted for print in bookstores as a author and publisher. Any big shot can be a leader or a preacher or pastor with a building up or a tent or rental place somewhere. Any bible shot can be on television or radio and even the internet and cable. The only legitimate proof of what's genuine is whether the Holy Spirit which is the Word of God called the bible is expressed through the person speaking while they going off at the mouth about whatever bible verse correctly. No good to talk about Paul's teaching if I don't believe what Paul stated. No good to defend the teaching of the bible in general if I don't believe all the bible. Is that really so mysterious to understand? Of course not. No good to call myself an expert at what Paul is teaching if I don't know what the heck I'm talking about. No good to call Christianity a philosophy religion if I don't know what the heck I'm talking about. It's like a saleperson that doesn't believe in his product 100% when he's selling it to somebody. If I'm a car salesperson and I don't believe the cars have awesome car stereos then what the heck am I doing being a car salesperson for those cars? Why endorse something your ignorant of or a little unhighly of with a good opinion about?

Why does a Christian have to be a 100% bible believer correctly?
2 Timothy 3:16; 2 Peter 1:20-21

Why is Christianity a truth religion and not a philosophy religion?
Colossians 2:8; 2 Peter 1:20-21

How come people despise certain bible verses and don't know what the heck their talking about?

John 8:47 ; John 10:27 (God's sheep only)

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #14

Post by Confused »

tonytony wrote:
Zzyzx wrote:If Christianity is based upon the Bible, and if the Bible is “the infallible word of god” (or even the fallible word of god) why are 33,830 different Christian denominations recognized by the World Christian Encyclopedia?

Any big shot can be an expert and take on a label, nonprofit organization, and even get posted for print in bookstores as a author and publisher. Any big shot can be a leader or a preacher or pastor with a building up or a tent or rental place somewhere. Any bible shot can be on television or radio and even the internet and cable. The only legitimate proof of what's genuine is whether the Holy Spirit which is the Word of God called the bible is expressed through the person speaking while they going off at the mouth about whatever bible verse correctly. No good to talk about Paul's teaching if I don't believe what Paul stated. No good to defend the teaching of the bible in general if I don't believe all the bible. Is that really so mysterious to understand? Of course not. No good to call myself an expert at what Paul is teaching if I don't know what the heck I'm talking about. No good to call Christianity a philosophy religion if I don't know what the heck I'm talking about. It's like a saleperson that doesn't believe in his product 100% when he's selling it to somebody. If I'm a car salesperson and I don't believe the cars have awesome car stereos then what the heck am I doing being a car salesperson for those cars? Why endorse something your ignorant of or a little unhighly of with a good opinion about?

How come people despise certain bible verses and don't know what the heck their talking about?

Hi tonytony.

Very elaborate post there. But I am failing to see how it addresses the OP. Perhaps you can clarify a few points. It sounds like your assertion is much like the "True Christian" argument. So are you suggesting that anyone who doesn't interpret the bible as you might (or another denomination of Christianity in case you aren't Christian) is not really a Christian, but giving sermons about things they know nothing about? That they are actually misinterpreting or not understanding? If so, how would you know that your denomination of Christianity is the one actually interpreting it correctly? What happens when two distinct denominations of Christianity truly preach what they perceive scripture to mean, and honestly believe what is written to be truth, are teaching two separate interpretations of scripture? Who is right and who is wrong?
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein

tonytony
Banned
Banned

Post #15

Post by tonytony »

To many self righteous moralists that feel Christianity is a philosophy religion to a certain extinct once you get the 10 commandments and the teaching on grace out the way.

They simply wrestle with bible verses like Colossians 2:8 and 2 Peter 1:20-21 .

They wrestle with them cause they don't believe that these scriptures are co-applicable with any bible verse.

They don't believe 2 Timothy 3:16 is co-applicable with verses like
1 Timothy 2:9-14, Romans 7:2-3, etc.

They believe these bible verses are co-applicable with the 10 commandments and the teaching on grace .

A believer knows the Holy Spirit doesn't make believers disagree on what truth is with any bible verse.

What the Holy Spirit or the Word of God says to one believer it says to all believers correctly. 1 Corinthians 14:33

I believe in the spirit of revelation but the spirit of revelation does not excuse believers from disagreeing on what truth is with any bible verse.

Again we talking about 1 Corinthians 14:33 again.

God don't give 2 people his truth and then they disagree and have conflicting intrepretations.

Again Colossians 2:8 and 2 Peter 1:20-21 is for believers to understand this only.

If you disagreeing with the book you disagreeing with God. Romans 3:3-4.

It's never about disagreeing with man unless your a self righteous moralist.

Matthew 5:20 will justify my statement made.
Romans 3:3-4 will justify my statement made too.

Again these verses are for the people of God with his Word they receive.

The Word of God says your an unbeliever if you don't receive of his truth correctly.

Tony didn't say this. John 8:47 says this.

Tony not saying if you disagreeing with Tony your an unbeliever.

Tony is saying that a believer can't disagree with another believer on any bible verse and speak by the Holy Spirit or the Word of God too.

Again 1 Corinthians 14:33 will justify this statement made.

The Holy Spirit or the Word of God will expose somebody in the right and somebody in the wrong when theirs conflicting intrepretations with any bible scripture in the bible.

Romans 3:3-4 will justify this statement made.

Tony is saying that if your disagreeing with the Holy Spirit or the Word of God expressed through Tony with any bible verse then your not a believer if you continue enough this way.

John 8:47 will justify my statement made.
Titus 3:10 will justify my statement made.

If people know this by the Spirit of God or the Word of God then they are one of his.

The 33,000 or so labels are for people that aren't one of his.

Their just self righteous moralist.

Sure God's people are not the wittiest with the entire book all the time.

That's where Titus 3:10 comes in at.

They flunk the Titus 3:10 test then their not a believer.

They make a rebound and recovery and don't flunk the Titus 3:10 test then their one of his.

Only label Jesus has is Christian and Baptist. Christian meaning a follower of Christ and this word is in the book big time. Baptist is mention in the book when John is spoken about once. The one time this word is mention it's simply referring to John baptizing people in water. If we baptize people in water like John then we're a baptist like John. Jesus told John to baptize him in water so we have to baptize people in water if we a Christian obeying the command of Christ. Jesus said water baptism fulfills all righteousness . That means we have to be water baptized in water like Jesus to fulfill all righteousness as a believer and Christian obeying him.

People with other labels are the self righteous moralist.

Self righteous moralist are not Christians.

Again the Holy Spirit or the Word of God is what you have to receive of on this in
Matthew 5:20 or your not one of his.

Of course a confessing unbeliever knows what they are.

Confused wrote:
tonytony wrote:

Hi tonytony.

Very elaborate post there. But I am failing to see how it addresses the OP. Perhaps you can clarify a few points. It sounds like your assertion is much like the "True Christian" argument. So are you suggesting that anyone who doesn't interpret the bible as you might (or another denomination of Christianity in case you aren't Christian) is not really a Christian, but giving sermons about things they know nothing about? That they are actually misinterpreting or not understanding? If so, how would you know that your denomination of Christianity is the one actually interpreting it correctly? What happens when two distinct denominations of Christianity truly preach what they perceive scripture to mean, and honestly believe what is written to be truth, are teaching two separate interpretations of scripture? Who is right and who is wrong?

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #16

Post by Cathar1950 »

Of course a confessing unbeliever knows what they are.
Mentaly ill?
I have read about people that go turn themselves in for crimes they didn't do.
It makes you wonder what church they went to as a child.
It's never about disagreeing with man unless your a self righteous moralist.
I take it you have never been married.
That means we have to be water baptized in water like Jesus to fulfill all righteousness as a believer and Christian obeying him.

Don't you think they should be beat and nailed to a stake too?
Tony not saying if you disagreeing with Tony your an unbeliever.
Cathar wants to know why you are writing in the third person?

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #17

Post by Confused »

tonytony:

I am sorry, did any of your last post actually answer my questions? It still appears to me as if you are using the "True Christian" argument. But tell me, if the Holy Spirit will not allow any "believer" to misinterpret His meaning, then I have to ask again, why so many denominations? Which is the true one. Only Baptist?
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein

arayhay
Sage

Post #18

Post by arayhay »

christianity doesn't use the Bible to support it's claims, it doesn't need to . it has and uses dogma, doctrine, tradition and theology.

Biker

Post #19

Post by Biker »

Confused wrote:tonytony:

I am sorry, did any of your last post actually answer my questions? It still appears to me as if you are using the "True Christian" argument. But tell me, if the Holy Spirit will not allow any "believer" to misinterpret His meaning, then I have to ask again, why so many denominations? Which is the true one. Only Baptist?
Confused wrote: Why so many denominations.
Because God did not dictate how one will "corporately" worship Him. All but a few denominations agree on the major tenants of the faith. Its not so much how as it is if.

Biker

tonytony
Banned
Banned

answer to your question

Post #20

Post by tonytony »

i already presented 2 peter 1:20-21 .
this does the talking for a believer.
this tells you the Holy Spirit doesn't have private intrepretations.

i did mention that genuine believers are not the wittiest with the book all the time .
i did mention that titus 3:10 well determine if they really are a believer then.

1 corinthians 8:2 to support my statement made.
again titus 3:10 to support my statement made.
also 2 peter 1:20-21 to support my statement made.

if you looking for something other than the book anywhere correctly you messing with the wrong guy im not a self righteous moralist only a believer.

Confused wrote:tonytony: