Why are there 33,839 different Christian denominations?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Why are there 33,839 different Christian denominations?

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

If Christianity is based upon the Bible, and if the Bible is “the infallible word of god” (or even the fallible word of god) why are 33,830 different Christian denominations recognized by the World Christian Encyclopedia?

Supposedly these denominations are all worshiping the same god from the same (or similar) ancient text. How can one god be “infallibly correct” in 33,830 different ways?

If there are at least 33,000 different “interpretations” of “god’s word”, it seems as though any interpretation can be just as valid as any other and words can be “redefined” to mean exactly the opposite of their common meaning.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #31

Post by Goat »

MagusYanam wrote: Um, Pharisees weren't Christian. Christianity didn't exist at the time of the Pharisees. And they weren't philosophers, either - they were legalists, though self-righteous they certainly were.
To a large extent, they were a political party, and a social movement. While there were those among the Pharisee's that were in power, and self rightous, it is hard to say that they were ALL self rightous. Many of their social concepts were picked up
by the early Christians. They were less of the 'centrist' when it comes to the temple powers rather than the Saduccees.

micatala
Site Supporter

Post #32

Post by micatala »

Biker wrote:
Confused wrote:tonytony:

I am sorry, did any of your last post actually answer my questions? It still appears to me as if you are using the "True Christian" argument. But tell me, if the Holy Spirit will not allow any "believer" to misinterpret His meaning, then I have to ask again, why so many denominations? Which is the true one. Only Baptist?
Confused wrote: Why so many denominations.
Because God did not dictate how one will "corporately" worship Him. All but a few denominations agree on the major tenants of the faith. Its not so much how as it is if.

Biker
THis is a good point. It is worth remembering Romans chapter 14. There Paul talks about how both those who eat meat and those who choose not too can both be correct and in right standing with God. Believers of these differing practices should not judge each other. People can worship that same God and do so in different ways and both can be 'right.' Thus, the contention that the multiplicity of denominations is necessarily a problem, and that only one of them at most can be right, is certainly not supported by scripture.

micatala
Site Supporter

Post #33

Post by micatala »

Biker wrote:
Confused wrote:tonytony:

I am sorry, did any of your last post actually answer my questions? It still appears to me as if you are using the "True Christian" argument. But tell me, if the Holy Spirit will not allow any "believer" to misinterpret His meaning, then I have to ask again, why so many denominations? Which is the true one. Only Baptist?
Confused wrote: Why so many denominations.
Because God did not dictate how one will "corporately" worship Him. All but a few denominations agree on the major tenants of the faith. Its not so much how as it is if.

Biker
THis is a good point. It is worth remembering Romans chapter 14. There Paul talks about how both those who eat meat and those who choose not too can both be correct and in right standing with God. Believers of these differing practices should not judge each other. People can worship that same God and do so in different ways and both can be 'right.' Thus, the contention that the multiplicity of denominations is necessarily a problem, and that only one of them at most can be right, is certainly not supported by scripture.

JugglingReferee
Student

Post #34

Post by JugglingReferee »

In my opinion, there is only one church that was started by Jesus Christ. That church is the Catholic church. All other Christian churches were started by a human being.

twobitsmedia

Post #35

Post by twobitsmedia »

JugglingReferee wrote:In my opinion, there is only one church that was started by Jesus Christ. That church is the Catholic church. All other Christian churches were started by a human being.
So, Jesus created the Pope as his representative? And, wasn't Jesus a human being at one point?

Biker

Post #36

Post by Biker »

JugglingReferee wrote:In my opinion, there is only one church that was started by Jesus Christ. That church is the Catholic church. All other Christian churches were started by a human being.
Didn't realize Jesus was a Catholic? Thats news to me? I thought He was Jewish?

Biker

MagusYanam
Guru

Post #37

Post by MagusYanam »

I thought it was St. Peter that started the church in Rome.

Also, I find that the Catholic Church has more than a few difficulties living up to the ideals of Jesus Christ, tied in as it is to the structures of the state and engaging as it does in power politics.[/code]
If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe.

- Søren Kierkegaard

My blog

micatala
Site Supporter

Post #38

Post by micatala »

Biker wrote:
Didn't realize Jesus was a Catholic? Thats news to me? I thought He was Jewish?

Biker
Great Scot! You're right.

Does this mean all Christians are really Jews?

But seriously, Catholics may have some views that Protestants find distasteful, and they have a lot of problems in the history of the church, but I still think they are Christian.
" . . . the line separating good and evil passes, not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties either, but right through every human heart . . . ." Alexander Solzhenitsyn

MagusYanam
Guru

Post #39

Post by MagusYanam »

Agreed, micatala. I think the Catholics in the pews are often better than some Protestants at approaching the Christian ideal and working for social justice.

I believe the Catholic Church would do well to continue on the path that Pope John Paul II had set it on. The Catholic Church does an immense amount of good in the world, from having the courage to oppose brutal right-wing dictatorships in Central America (where the United States did not) to doing social justice work in southeast Asia to end slavery and human trafficking. But I think the Catholic Church could do even more good if they didn't spend so much effort trying to save face with regard to doctrine (such as those regarding birth control and clerical celibacy) particularly in areas where such doctrines (when taken without regard to circumstance) do more harm than good.
If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe.

- Søren Kierkegaard

My blog

twobitsmedia

Post #40

Post by twobitsmedia »

micatala wrote:

But seriously, Catholics may have some views that Protestants find distasteful, and they have a lot of problems in the history of the church, but I still think they are Christian.
Why? What makes them Christian?