Comfort

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

onewithhim
Savant

Comfort

Post #1

Post by onewithhim »

Life in this world can be distressing. Is there anywhere we can turn for reliable help and comfort? JWs are asking this question world-wide for this month. The focus is on Jehovah, our God "of tender mercies."

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of tender mercies and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those in any sort of tribulation through the comfort with which we ourselves are being comforted by God." (2 Corinthians 1:3,4)

Any thoughts so far?

:flower:

Talishi
Guru

Post #61

Post by Talishi »

JehovahsWitness wrote: If you mean that God, the individual person, that created the universe, literally lives simultaneously in the location of the bodies of multiple people, I would disagree. The bible states that God resides (lives) in a particular location in heaven.
On the contrary, it is written (Acts 17:28):

For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.
Thank you for playing Debating Christianity & Religion!

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #62

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Talishi wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote: If you mean that God, the individual person, that created the universe, literally lives simultaneously in the location of the bodies of multiple people, I would disagree. The bible states that God resides (lives) in a particular location in heaven.

For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.
On the contrary to what? What is your point, which of my points is yours contrasting with and how is this scripture relevant to the above?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Talishi
Guru

Post #63

Post by Talishi »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Talishi wrote:

On the contrary to what? What is your point, which of my points is yours contrasting with and how is this scripture relevant to the above?
If God is confined to a specific location in heaven as you affirm, then people who live on Earth cannot "live and move" and have their being in God, as Paul states, because then they would be in heaven, not Earth.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #64

[Replying to post 63 by Talishi]

Well that would depend on whether you take Pauls words literally or not.

I do believe the original point I was addressing was that God lived (I presume the poster believes) literally in lots of humans, and you are suggesting (feel free to correct me if I am wrong) the opposite, namely that humans live literally inside God.

Both of which I disagree with because I don't take the passages referenced literally.

JW

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Talishi
Guru

Post #65

Post by Talishi »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 63 by Talishi]

Is this not the special sub-forum where we accept the words of the Sacred Scriptures at face value?
Both of which I disagree with because I don't take the passages referenced literally.
I need to check the sub-forum charter...

"...responses to topics with "but first you have to prove that the Bible is true" is not allowed here..."

Thought so.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #66

Talishi wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 63 by Talishi]

Is this not the special sub-forum where we accept the words of the Sacred Scriptures at face value?
No its not. It's a sub-forum where we accept the bible as authoritative. Whether its words are considered metaphoric, symbolic, literal or allegory is not imposed by the guidelines. At least that is my understanding, I will stand corrected by a moderator if that is not the case.
Talishi wrote:"...responses to topics with "but first you have to prove that the Bible is true" is not allowed here..."

Thought so.
Do you know that non-literal is not a synonym for "false" (not true)?

Talishi
Guru

Post #67

Post by Talishi »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Do you know that non-literal is not a synonym for "false" (not true)?
Perhaps there needs be yet another sub-forum to capture the original intent of this forum, where debate proceeds on the understanding that the Bible means exactly what it says without human traditions calling the text into question.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #68

[Replying to post 67 by Talishi]

Feel free to contact the forum moderators with your suggestion. In the meantime I will continue to post in line with the guidelines provided.

Was there anything else or are we done?

JW

dio9
Under Probation

Post #69

Post by dio9 »

[Replying to Blastcat]

That God is to be found within comforts my mind. I guess you could say it's a fact.

Talishi
Guru

Post #70

Post by Talishi »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 67 by Talishi]

Feel free to contact the forum moderators with your suggestion. In the meantime I will continue to post in line with the guidelines provided.

Was there anything else or are we done?
Feel free to respond to any one of my posts, or not, in any sub-forum, without feeling like there's a failure event that needs to be processed to a repair conclusion and then closed.