Comfort

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

onewithhim
Savant

Comfort

Post #1

Post by onewithhim »

Life in this world can be distressing. Is there anywhere we can turn for reliable help and comfort? JWs are asking this question world-wide for this month. The focus is on Jehovah, our God "of tender mercies."

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of tender mercies and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those in any sort of tribulation through the comfort with which we ourselves are being comforted by God." (2 Corinthians 1:3,4)

Any thoughts so far?

:flower:

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Comfort

Post #41

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Blastcat wrote: [Replying to post 37 by JehovahsWitness]
JehovahsWitness wrote:
Blastcat wrote: Fiction doesn't really help them anymore.
It's not fiction its in the bible onewithim presented the scriptural evidence.

JW
Yeah, that's what I meant.. it's in the Bible ... some people take that as non fiction. Not to me and my kids, though.
Yes we are not here to debate you or your kids. We are here to debate the evidence and the evidence is presented in the bible.
Blastcat wrote:Believers who take the Bible AS true.
Yes, thank you for stating the obvious. And since whether the bible IS true is not under discussion, do you have anything constructive to add to the debate over and above the beliefs of your kids? [/u]?

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Post #42

Post by Blastcat »

[Replying to post 39 by onewithhim]

!

[center]"We teach the truth"[/center]
onewithhim wrote:
Might I throw in my $.02?
Please, do.
onewithhim wrote:
JWs believe that we who have the earthly hope will be living on the earth forever, providing we remain loyal to the end of the system of things, or, the end of our life in this system. All we have to do is be determined to remain of good conscience and endure all of Satan's machinations, with help from Jehovah and his Son.
Some people will live forever on earth.. some not.
Ok, JWs believe this... in what way can we verify that the belief is true?
onewithhim wrote:
We don't tell our kids about the "hell" that Christendom teaches....a never-ending bar-b-que pit where people are roasted for all time. That is a ficticious place, straight out of Dante's Inferno, which comes from Dante's imagination.
"Christendom teaches."
Are there no Bible references about Hell being... a bad place?

onewithhim wrote:
We teach the kids that all the animals await them, even snakes and sharks and tigers who will not hurt them in the Paradise Earth, and the kids love it. (Isaiah 11:6-9)
Yeah, kids usually love nice stories.
I used to make them up all the time for them... yep.
They loved them.

( never religious stories, though, I was an atheist by then )

So, there are no bad stories in JW?
But how can we verify that the good JW stories are true?

onewithhim wrote:
If some people are mean and bad, they will just go to sleep forever, so they won't bother people who want to be good.
Ok, that doesn't sound like a bad thing.
Sleep is fine.

If we can say that we somehow "existed" before we were born... sleep was fine then, too. It made me cry when I had to "wake up".

onewithhim wrote:
That doesn't terrorize the children, like the teachings of Christendom (false Christianity). We teach the truth, and it honors a loving God.
You teach the truth to the kids ...

That's an interesting idea.
How can we verify that your beliefs about heaven and hell are true?

:)

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #43

Blastcat wrote: Some people will live forever on earth.. some not.
By checking in the bible. If they correspond to bible teaching then they are true.
Blastcat wrote: How can we verify that your beliefs about heaven and hell are true?
Ditto

JW

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Post #44

Post by Blastcat »

[Replying to post 43 by JehovahsWitness]

!

[center]Bible beliefs that correspond to beliefs about the Bible.[/center]

JehovahsWitness wrote:
By checking in the bible. If they correspond to bible teaching then they are true.
"Correspond to Bible teaching"

Your beliefs come from an interpretation of the Bible, surely? So of course, you check the Bible and believe what you do about it. No? JW Bible teaching isn't the same as other Christian Bible teaching... what do you say to outsiders to your faith about that?

How do outsiders decide who has the correct Bible teachings ( interpretations ) ?

Blastcat wrote: How can we verify that your beliefs about heaven and hell are true?
JehovahsWitness wrote:
Ditto
"Ditto" ?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that... But as an atheist, you must realize that I do not HAVE a belief about heaven or hell. How does an outsider verify if your beliefs about heaven and hell are true?

dio9
Under Probation

Post #45

Post by dio9 »

Are we only allowed to refer the Christian sources here? The comfort I have is knowing God exists . And even so difficult to understand the fact Jesus died for me. And that's a lot, but if I may be honest here I find more comfort in the Dharma of Buddha where salvation is layed out in practical steps. Starting with letting go of our fallen nature which separate us and has alienated us from God and his creation. I find comfort in the idea that we can restore ourselves and change our world for the better.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #46

dio9 wrote: Are we only allowed to refer the Christian sources here?
No that is not my understanding, I'm not a moderator so, I can't say for sure, but I think there is a subforum to discuss non-Christian faiths.

JW

Talishi
Guru

Post #47

Post by Talishi »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
The belief that the sun moves around the Earth corresponds to Bible teaching, yet it is false.

Ecclesiastes 1:5 The sun also ariseth, and the sun goeth down, and hasteth to his place where he arose.
Thank you for playing Debating Christianity & Religion!

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #48

Claire Evans wrote:
onewithhim wrote: Life in this world can be distressing. Is there anywhere we can turn for reliable help and comfort? JWs are asking this question world-wide for this month. The focus is on Jehovah, our God "of tender mercies."

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of tender mercies and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those in any sort of tribulation through the comfort with which we ourselves are being comforted by God." (2 Corinthians 1:3,4)

Any thoughts so far?

:flower:
My comfort comes from Jesus. That comfort may manifest into the physical. When I am feeling low or distressed, a feather is dropped for me. My cat, now deceased, would sit on me when I felt low. He liked to sit on my neck when I was lying down. Also when it becomes really distressing, I pray and it actually suddenly goes away. It's amazing. I think it was like Jesus. He was distressed in the Garden of Gethsemane and then eventually was calm. That's the power of the Holy Spirit.

I think animals can be a great source of comfort. They are also super sensitive to feelings so I do believe having an animals helps people keep balanced in many way.

Holy spirit is so much more powerful though. I noticed though that Jesus kept praying, it wasn't as if he asked once and everything was all better...

JW

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Post #49

Post by Blastcat »

[Replying to post 48 by JehovahsWitness]

!

[center]
TRIPLE CHOCOLATE[/center]

JehovahsWitness wrote:
I think animals can be a great source of comfort. They are also super sensitive to feelings so I do believe having an animals helps people keep balanced in many way.

Holy spirit is so much more powerful though. I noticed though that Jesus kept praying, it wasn't as if he asked once and everything was all better...
I find that when I'm down, I like vanilla ice cream. It's cold and smooth and oh, so sweet. Chocolate is way more powerful, though.

I noticed that the more I ate chocolate ice cream even ( when I'm being very comfortable ) TRIPLE chocolate ice cream, I just knew that I would have to pray at that altar again.

And the more I ate... the better it all tasted, too. Yum yum yum.
Now I BELIEVE with all of my heart that chocolate ice cream is better than vanilla, but some ice cream eaters still insist on vanilla.

And it breaks my heart, so I eat some more chocolate ice cream.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #50

dio9 wrote:And even so difficult to understand the fact Jesus died for me.
Do you believe that Christ died for you but find it difficult to understand why or do you not really believe that he did?