Comfort

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

onewithhim
Savant

Comfort

Post #1

Post by onewithhim »

Life in this world can be distressing. Is there anywhere we can turn for reliable help and comfort? JWs are asking this question world-wide for this month. The focus is on Jehovah, our God "of tender mercies."

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of tender mercies and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those in any sort of tribulation through the comfort with which we ourselves are being comforted by God." (2 Corinthians 1:3,4)

Any thoughts so far?

:flower:

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Comfort

Post #2

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by onewithhim]

I was talking to a woman this week, when I mentioned the theme of comfort she started to cry... she'd lost her mother the year before and missed her. We sat down and watched the video on the resurrection, she was so moved.

People have heavy hearts, you can't see it until you start talking to them. This world so needs comfort.

Thank God for the Kingdom!!
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

onewithhim
Savant

Post #3

Post by onewithhim »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 1 by onewithhim]

I was talking to a woman this week, when I mentioned the theme of comfort she started to cry... she'd lost her mother the year before and missed her. We sat down and watched the video on the resurrection, she was so moved.

People have heavy hearts, you can't see it until you start talking to them. This world so needs comfort.

Thank God for the Kingdom!!
Nice, JehovahsWitness! I'm going back to see a woman who answered her door but was in a lot of pain from a back injury. She couldn't stand up long.

There are so many distressful situations that people are dealing with. This loving, comforting news of the Kingdom would be such a great help to billions of people if they came in contact with it. We're really trying to reach them.

:flower:

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #4

Post by 2timothy316 »

I gave a friend of my wife this article because her husband left her while still pregnant just 2 months ago. I am starting a Bible study with her next week. She is in dire need of comfort that is for sure. I know only Jehovah is the best one to provide any kind of long-lasting comfort.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #5

Post by Divine Insight »

I find the wisdom of Buddhism to bring comfort. And this philosophy brings comfort even in a secular world.

I see no comfort in Christianity. Christianity proclaims that the vast majority of humans will be condemned to everlasting punishment. Where is there any comfort in that?

Jesus also proclaims that there will be those who claim to know him but he will not acknowledge knowing them. So even the most devout Christians who think they know Jesus could still be damned to everlasting punishment.

According to most forms of Christendom Christianity doesn't offer any guarantees to anyone that any individual will be "saved" from damnation. Jesus preached the "Good News" that only FEW will make it to eternal life.

How is that comforting unless a person is filled to the brim with pride and arrogance that they will be among those FEW?

Also, wouldn't this kind of "comfort" require that a person is only concerned with their own eternal fate? According to Jesus the vast majority of our friends and loved ones must necessarily be damned to everlasting punishment. Because only FEW are going to make it to eternal life. Right?

I don't see where there is any comfort in Christianity at all save for those individuals who are only concerned with their own personal fate and believe that they will be among the exceptional FEW who make it to eternal life
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #6

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Divine Insight wrote:I find the wisdom of Buddhism to bring comfort. And this philosophy brings comfort even in a secular world. I see no comfort in Christianity.
Good for you.

Enjoy,

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Peds nurse
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by Peds nurse »

Hello!

I believe that we find comfort through our Lord, Jesus Christ. This can come through different ways. His word, His people, and situations, draw us nearer to His presence. I posted somewhere else on this forum that in our suffering, when we have God, we have hope, without God, it is simply suffering.

Blessings for a beautiful evening!

SpiritualJay

Post #8

Post by SpiritualJay »

Divine Insight wrote: I find the wisdom of Buddhism to bring comfort. And this philosophy brings comfort even in a secular world.
I see no comfort in Christianity. Christianity proclaims that the vast majority of humans will be condemned to everlasting punishment. Where is there any comfort in that?
The wisdom of Buddhism is very comforting. Mindfulness is a powerful tool that can help one to learn to love and live more fully. I agree with you- the forms of Christianity that promote hell and damnation bring fear, not comfort.

theStudent
Guru

Post #9

Post by theStudent »

[Replying to post 1 by onewithhim]

I know I am not speaking for myself when I say that the experiences of sharing the Bible's message with people, has brought a tremendous amount of comfort to many people.

Thoughout my years as one of Jehovah's Witnesses, I have heard many expressions of thanks from appreciative people, for the comfort from the scriptures.
I received letters from children, teenagers, and young adults, who thanked me from the heart.

The amount of letters of fhanks, received by the Watchtower Society testify to the powerful effect the Bible has on bringing comfort to human lives.

Especially during times of "natural" disasters, this comfort is much appreciated.
https://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesse ... f-efforts/

The text you mentioned demonstrates that we can have faith in the God of all comfort.
John 8:32
. . .the truth will set you free.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #10

Post by onewithhim »

Divine Insight wrote: I find the wisdom of Buddhism to bring comfort. And this philosophy brings comfort even in a secular world.

Jesus also proclaims that there will be those who claim to know him but he will not acknowledge knowing them. So even the most devout Christians who think they know Jesus could still be damned to everlasting punishment.

According to most forms of Christendom Christianity doesn't offer any guarantees to anyone that any individual will be "saved" from damnation. Jesus preached the "Good News" that only FEW will make it to eternal life.

How is that comforting unless a person is filled to the brim with pride and arrogance that they will be among those FEW?

Also, wouldn't this kind of "comfort" require that a person is only concerned with their own eternal fate? According to Jesus the vast majority of our friends and loved ones must necessarily be damned to everlasting punishment. Because only FEW are going to make it to eternal life. Right?

I don't see where there is any comfort in Christianity at all save for those individuals who are only concerned with their own personal fate and believe that they will be among the exceptional FEW who make it to eternal life
I understand your viewpoint. So many horrible things have been done in the name of God and Christ. And I would venture to say that there are misunderstandings about what Christ has said about his followers and those that would be saved from destruction, and, conversely, those that would be destroyed.

He said that the ones on the narrow road are "few." That is an over-all picture of what is happening now, in these last days of this system of things. People who are being taught the truth by their clergy are few. It is a statement of what is the true status of the world's religions and what effect they are having on the people. What is the effect? That few people are finding the right path because of the guidance (or lack thereof) of the majority of religious leaders. That is not to say that everyone will be destroyed (or, as you put it, be sent to hell, which is an erroneous teaching). The point of this is that Jesus described the position of certain RELIGIONS that might claim him as their Lord (or even an important prophet), but were actually not following him.

"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven will enter. Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name cast out demons, and in your name perform many miracles?' And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from me, you who practice lawlessness.'" (Matthew 7:21-23, NASB)

Does that sound like every Tom, Dick and Harry? No, it sounds like he is addressing the religious leaders, who are responsible for the spiritual health of the people. Indeed, there are many people today who have not heard the truth, and it can be said that they are the MAJORITY. Everyone will have the chance to hear the truth. If not in this system of things, then in the next.

Buddhism has some nice thoughts. All of them can be found in true Christianity.

Check out true Christianity on the website: www.jw.org