Moderator: Moderators

man
Banned
Banned

Jesus is Lord?

Post #1

Post by man »

Jesus is Lord!

I have seen this on bumper stickers, TV and the internet, but I'm not quite sure what it means.

It seems to be saying that Jesus and the God are the same thing, is this correct?

2timothy316
Under Probation

Re: Jesus is Lord?

Post #91

Post by 2timothy316 »

onewithhim wrote:
man wrote: [Replying to post 86 by onewithhim]

People such as that would surely be very unhappy living in paradise?

Do you honestly think that makes any sense at all?

Anybody and everybody would be very happy to live in paradise.
No, they would not. I've had discussions with people who called Paradise a farmer's cow pasture and they had no desire to live there. Go figure.

:-|
I have had the same type of conversations as well. I have had people tell me that they want to die saying, living forever even in a paradise would be boring. Even knew an older man that said if Jehovah resurrects him that he will demand that he be put back in the grave. That man has since passed away too. I wonder how Jehovah will treat that man. People say things I don't think they fully understand what they are saying or they have been lied to about what paradise is.

man
Banned
Banned

Post #92

Post by man »

onewithhim wrote:

No, they would not. I've had discussions with people who called Paradise a farmer's cow pasture and they had no desire to live there. Go figure.

Everybody has an idea about what paradise would be for them and no one is going to describe a place they do not like as paradise.

If you tell me paradise is a farmer's cow pasture you better believe I’m going to say you are 110% wrong.

I think your crazy is showing, you better check that.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #93

Post by onewithhim »

man wrote:
onewithhim wrote:

Everybody has an idea about what paradise would be for them and no one is going to describe a place they do not like as paradise.

If you tell me paradise is a farmer's cow pasture you better believe I’m going to say you are 110% wrong.

I think your crazy is showing, you better check that.
Excuse me, but I have never painted Paradise like it was a cow pasture. It was the people I spoke to that jeered at having to live where they could have their own gardens and whatever animals they wanted to have around, and likened that scenario to a cow pasture. I told them about being able to live in their dream house, not being sick anymore, being reunited with dead loved ones and their ancestors, and being able to do all the things they enjoy doing---forever. This doesn't appeal to all people. I don't understand it, but that's the way it seems to be.

:facepalm: :confused2:

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #94

Post by JehovahsWitness »

man wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 1 by man]

Not in my opinion no.

"Lord" is a title, like "Mr" or "Teacher" and the title "Lord" in scripture is not only applied to YHWH (Jehovah) but to humans, other (false) gods, and as you mention Jesus. Just as calling to two different people "Sir" doesn't imply they are all one and the same person, calling Jesus Lord doesn't of itself imply they are both the same person.

JW
My problem with that interpretation is it smacks of polytheism.

If Jesus and God were the same person the polytheism problem goes away which from what I have read in other places from basic christians to theologists is what gave the Jesus is Lord saying its start.

That would depend on what is meant by "polytheism".
polytheism noun

the belief in or worship of more than one god.
As one of JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES I hold the biblical view that the generic term "god" can and is legitimately applied to many individuals whether real or imaginary. There is however biblically only one Supreme creator of the universe, and as such only one person for whom the title ALMIGHTY (all powerful) God can be applied, this we believe to be YHWH (Jehovah) the God of the bible.

Further, when someone refers to "the belief in" god, they are often using the expression synonymously as "the worship of". However in the definition provided above there is a distinction between the two. Believing in the existence of, or the legitimate attribution of the term "god" (which in the bible merely means "powerful one") to individuals who hold a measure of power or authority, does not mean one must WORSHIP them. In short Jehovah's Witnesse believe in the existence of individuals to whom the generic term "god" can be applied, but they only WORSHIP the one they consider to be the Supreme Almighty God and sole Creator of the universe, Jehovah. Jehovah's Witnesses do not worship Jesus.

Our position is extremely clear, how we are classified by those that take a trinitarian view to avoid the common view of "polytheism" is totally irrelevant to us.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

man
Banned
Banned

Post #95

Post by man »

[Replying to post 94 by JehovahsWitness]

So do you worship both God and Jesus separately?

man
Banned
Banned

Post #96

Post by man »

[Replying to post 93 by onewithhim]

Forever doesn't appeal to all people and you don't understand it, but it would do you good to understand why it doesn't appeal to all people.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #97

Post by JehovahsWitness »

man wrote: [Replying to post 94 by JehovahsWitness]

I'm sorry, I suppose I wasn't quite clear enough. I said...
JehovahsWitness wrote: Jehovah's Witnesses do not worship Jesus.
I should have explained myself better, what I meant to say is "Jehovah's Witnesses do not worship Jesus". We don't worship him jointly, and we don't worship him seperately ... we don't worship Jesus.

Hope that clarifies matters,

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

man
Banned
Banned

Post #98

Post by man »

onewithhim
Savant

Post #99

Post by onewithhim »

man wrote: [Replying to post 94 by JehovahsWitness]

She just said that JWs don't worship Jesus as the all-mighty God. We give him the honor he deserves, and sometimes honoring an individual is called "worshiping" in the Bible, but it is not the same worship as the only true, Most High God receives.

:)

onewithhim
Savant

Post #100

Post by onewithhim »

man wrote: [Replying to post 93 by onewithhim]

Forever doesn't appeal to all people and you don't understand it, but it would do you good to understand why it doesn't appeal to all people.
My own son doesn't want to live forever. How can I "understand" that? I'll never understand it, but I accept that fact....that some people don't want to live forever. I accept it.