Moderator: Moderators

man
Banned
Banned

Jesus is Lord?

Post #1

Post by man »

Jesus is Lord!

I have seen this on bumper stickers, TV and the internet, but I'm not quite sure what it means.

It seems to be saying that Jesus and the God are the same thing, is this correct?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Jesus is Lord?

Post #121

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 120 by Yahu]

References please. I'm not in the habit of just believing things people tell me on the internet, do you have a concordance, Hebrews-English dictionary, interlinear reference... anything?

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Yahu
Banned
Banned

Post #122

Post by Yahu »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 120 by Yahu]

References please. I'm not in the habit of just believing things people tell me on the internet, do you have a concordance, Hebrews-English dictionary, interlinear reference... anything?

JW
I read several commentaries but here is something I found with a quick google search.

http://www.goodnewsinc.net/v4gn/shaddai.html

It confirms the same things I was saying but I didn't get that understanding on the net but from reading many commentaries. Obviously the writers of this site are also familiar with those same commentaries.

It covers both aspects of Yah as a provider and as a destroyer.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #123

Yahu wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 120 by Yahu]

JW
I read several commentaries but here is something I found with a quick google search.

http://www.goodnewsinc.net/v4gn/shaddai.html

It confirms the same things I was saying but I didn't get that understanding on the net but from reading many commentaries. Obviously the writers of this site are also familiar with those same commentaries.

It covers both aspects of Yah as a provider and as a destroyer.

Thank you for your efforts, unfortunately the two links provided that could supported the Hebrew root meaning referenced don't seem to be working
The Hebrew word shaddai comes from the root word 'breast'. Literally translated it would mean 'many-breasted one'.
http://www.jungleweb.net/vanguard/FatherGod.html

There are two roots for the word: first is to be powerful and second is breast or nourisher and sustainer. The O.T. uses this form 48 times.
http://www.cyweb.com/~dschmidt/qv-docs/ ... dnames.htm

If you happen to recall the names and references of one or two of the "many commentaries" you have read that would be appreciated. The page you linked me to does nothing to increase my confidence in the authors linguistic capabilities by suggesting that the English word Shadow is somehow related to the Hebrew Shaddai
Over-SHAD-owing ... God/El "over" Shaddai to birth us.
And while it seems the origins of "shaddai" are not entirely clear, I'm afraid I think the hypothesis that it comes from the root meaning of nipple utter garbage and unfounded pseudo babble... but hey, it's a theory.

Thanks anyway.

JW

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

tigger2
Sage

Post #124

Post by tigger2 »

Yahu wrote:
onewithhim wrote: [Replying to post 116 by Yahu]

Yes, "El Shaddai" is a title. What do you mean by "epitaph"?
:?
It means a 'descriptive title' as a reference to an individual. An example of an epitaph of Apollo is he was also called Pheobus while Pheobus just means 'bright','light bringer' as a title because of his status as sun god.
Perhaps you meant 'epithet' rather than 'epitaph.'

tigger2
Sage

Post #125

Post by tigger2 »

[Replying to post 119 by Yahu]

Yahu
Banned
Banned

Post #126

Post by Yahu »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness]

If I remember right, I think one of the references was out of Emanuel Velokovsky's notes. I will see if I can find them on the net.

Here is another reference that shows the root is disputed. It covers all the names of Yah. I used this site while taking Hebrew in college as a help.

http://www.hebrew4christians.com/Names_ ... El/el.html

The site states that the root was disputed but Strongs uses the root chosen for the Septuagint while other scholars dispute that choice. This isn't something I made up but came from researching the names of Yah. Shad can mean breast or nipple. When I did the study and realized that I thought it was funny that Yah compared Himself to a great nipple to provide for His children. He holds both roles of loving mother and stern father that disciplines His children.
Last edited by Yahu on Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yahu
Banned
Banned

Post #127

Post by Yahu »

tigger2 wrote: [Replying to post 119 by Yahu]

As an engineer, spelling isn't my strong point. It passed spell check so I thought I had the right spelling.

You are correct, Epitaph is an inscription on a tomb stone. I got them confused.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #128

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to post 120 by Yahu]

I understand, and it is an apt description of what YHWH is to His creations. He is all things to his "babies"; the provider of sustenance and all things that a baby (or His creation) needs.

:cool:

Yahu
Banned
Banned

Post #129

Post by Yahu »

onewithhim wrote: [Replying to post 120 by Yahu]

I understand, and it is an apt description of what YHWH is to His creations. He is all things to his "babies"; the provider of sustenance and all things that a baby (or His creation) needs.

:cool:
Which is exactly how it is portrayed IMO as both a motherly and fatherly role over His creation. He is stern in discipline as a father but loving provider as in the role of a mother. Note I am not suggesting that Yah is both sexes but does have the role of both parents.

Is there a more loving picture of the role of a mother then her breast feeding a infant? It is our culture that has turned that picture into something obscene and should be done behind closed doors. Applying cultural bias is a problem when you interpret scripture.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #130

[Replying to post 125 by Yahu]

QUESTION: Is the Hebrew El Shaddai more accurately translated as "the great breast"?

There are a number of Christians proposing the theory that El Shaddai, translated by most bible translators at "Almighty [God]" is more accurately translated as "the Breasted One" (there are even those that go so far as to suggest that "el shaddai" could just as could be just as easily translated as "the big nipple") ; this being based on a theory that "shaddai" is related to the hebrew word for breast (Heb: shadh and shodh). While the exact derivation of the word Shaddai is indeed unclear why do respected bible scholars and bible translators reject the idea that the root meaning of "shaddai" is "breast" or "nipple"?

SHADDAI breast or POWER?

The few that favor the idea that shaddai is related to the hebrew for breast do so primarily on the basis that the two words sound alike. This is like suggesting that the root for "car" (automobile) comes from "carcass" (the dead body of an animal) because we can see the two words look and sound alike. While most words often do resemble their the word from which they are derived, it should not be considered a forgone conclusion since as the example above illustrates nearly all languages have homophones and homonym (words that sound or are written the same but have different meanings), in short just because "shadh" (breast) looks like "shaddai" it doesn't prove the two words are related. So apart from the homophonic similarities is there any actual evidence that "shaddai" does comes from "shadh"? In a word, no. There is nothing. Nothing in Hebrew tradition, linguistics or scholarly conclusions that indicate that "shaddai" is related to the word for breast (must less the english word "nipple").

THE SCHOLARLY VIEW

As has been mentioned by far the majority of scholars favor the idea that "shaddai" is related not to nipple, teat or breast but to power as even the most perfunctory of parousal respected Hebrew Lexicons will prove. Why is this the case? As the website "Hebrew4christians" admits, one reason is because ...:
Translators of the Septuagint (ie. the Greek translation of the Old testament) thought Saddai came from a root verb (shadad) that means "to over power" or "to detroy;" The Latin Vulgate likewise translated Shaddai as "omnipotens" (from which we get our English word omnipotent).
http://www.hebrew4christians.com/Names_ ... El/el.html
So it seems that as we move closer to the source by examining how ancient Hebrews themselves translated the word they favored the understanding that the "shaddai" is in fact related to the notion of power or force. This is evident by their choice of what they considered the greek equivalent "pantokrator" which basically means “Almighty,� or “All Powerful.� lending weight to the understanding of the Hebrew term Shad·daiʹ means “Almighty One� .
SCHOLARLY CONCLUSIONS

“Shaddai is best taken from the root shadad [sha·dhadhʹ], ‘to be strong or powerful,’ as in Arabic.�— Unger’s Bible Dictionary (1965, p. 1000) (See also The Analytical Hebrew and Chaldee Lexicon, by Benjamin Davidson, p. 702)

“It is possible, however, that the original significance was that of ‘overmastering’ or ‘overpowering strength,’ and that this meaning persists in the divine [title].� - The Jewish Encyclopedia (1976, Vol. IX, p. 162)

“Yahweh, was such a God (ʼel) as was competent (one possible meaning of sadday)� — The Illustrated Bible Dictionary (Vol. 1, p. 572), Edited by J. D. Douglas, 1980.

CONCLUSION: There is absolutely no evidence that El Shaddai is related to the word "breast" and those who suggest otherwise do so in opposition to the entire body of scholarly analysis; no credible Hebrew scholars give any credence to such a notion and while internet resources, notorious for zealous ignorance and poor scholarship, may heartily adopt the notion they do so by ignoring the academic conclusions of experts in the field.