Moderator: Moderators

man
Banned
Banned

Jesus is Lord?

Post #1

Post by man »

Jesus is Lord!

I have seen this on bumper stickers, TV and the internet, but I'm not quite sure what it means.

It seems to be saying that Jesus and the God are the same thing, is this correct?

onewithhim
Savant

Re: Jesus is Lord?

Post #111

Post by onewithhim »

man wrote:
onewithhim wrote:
man wrote: [Replying to post 93 by onewithhim]

Forever doesn't appeal to all people and you don't understand it, but it would do you good to understand why it doesn't appeal to all people.
My own son doesn't want to live forever. How can I "understand" that? I'll never understand it, but I accept that fact....that some people don't want to live forever. I accept it.

:-|
How old is your son?

And you can understand why your son doesn't want to live forever with a little work.
I have four sons, and this son, Doug, is 45.

And should I address you as "man almighty"? You have the ability to read human hearts and minds? I can't.

:?

onewithhim
Savant

Post #112

Post by onewithhim »

Yahu wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:
man wrote: [Replying to post 97 by JehovahsWitness]

How do you view Jesus?

For Jehovah's Witnesse Jesus is the son of God, the Chief agent or means by which God administers life. This means that we recognize that what God has to give he gives through Jesus and we must obey and honour him (Jesus). Jehovah's Witnesses love Jesus and view him as our leader, we give him the honour he deserves as the second most powerful person in the universe.

But we do not pray to Jesus, we do not believe Jesus to be equal to God since Jesus himself is a created being, and we do not offer our worship to Jesus.

JW
Yet Yeshua told His followers that if they have seen Him, they have seen the Father.
Now, what could that mean....other than Jesus is the Father? We have a clear statement at John 1:18 that "no one has seen God at any time." So....seeing Jesus is like seeing the Father would mean that, as we often say, "Like father, like son." Jesus imitates his Father so closely that to see him (Jesus) is to see what the Father is like (and what the Father would be like if He were to come to Earth).

Along these lines, Jesus said: "Truly, truly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of himself, unless it is something he sees the Father doing; for whatever the Father does, these things the Son also does in like manner." (John 5:19, NASB)

:study:

man
Banned
Banned

Post #113

Post by man »

onewithhim wrote:
man wrote:
onewithhim wrote:
man wrote: [Replying to post 93 by onewithhim]

Forever doesn't appeal to all people and you don't understand it, but it would do you good to understand why it doesn't appeal to all people.
My own son doesn't want to live forever. How can I "understand" that? I'll never understand it, but I accept that fact....that some people don't want to live forever. I accept it.

:-|
How old is your son?

And you can understand why your son doesn't want to live forever with a little work.
I have four sons, and this son, Doug, is 45.

And should I address you as "man almighty"? You have the ability to read human hearts and minds? I can't.

Well I did create god in my own image so yeah that's how you should address me.

Yahu
Banned
Banned

Post #114

Post by Yahu »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote: There is however biblically only one Supreme creator of the universe, and as such only one person for whom the title ALMIGHTY (all powerful) God can be applied, this we believe to be YHWH (Jehovah) the God of the bible.
Yahu wrote: Actually that isn't always true. I am assuming you are referring to the usage of 'El Elyon' as 'almighty'.
You are assuming incorrectly, El Elyon translates as is The Most High (God)), but I refered to Almighty (God)/God Almighty which is in Hebrew El Shaddai. The combination of Shaddai (almighty) with God (El) only appears 7 times in scripture and is always (without exception) applied uniquely to YHWH (Jehovah).

JW
Actually El Shaddai should be 'the mighty provider'. Again El means mighty. A root of Shaddai is 'Shad', a woman's breast/teat. Shaddai is like 'to provide for like a breast to a child' or 'breast lover'. it is also similar to another root that means 'destroyer'. This is in reference to the flood so 'El Shaddai' is 'mighty provide and/or destroyer. I guess that is why it gets translated as 'almighty' but could be just as easily translated as the 'big nipple'.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #115

Post by onewithhim »

Yahu wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote: There is however biblically only one Supreme creator of the universe, and as such only one person for whom the title ALMIGHTY (all powerful) God can be applied, this we believe to be YHWH (Jehovah) the God of the bible.
Yahu wrote: Actually that isn't always true. I am assuming you are referring to the usage of 'El Elyon' as 'almighty'.
You are assuming incorrectly, El Elyon translates as is The Most High (God)), but I refered to Almighty (God)/God Almighty which is in Hebrew El Shaddai. The combination of Shaddai (almighty) with God (El) only appears 7 times in scripture and is always (without exception) applied uniquely to YHWH (Jehovah).

JW
Actually El Shaddai should be 'the mighty provider'. Again El means mighty. A root of Shaddai is 'Shad', a woman's breast/teat. Shaddai is like 'to provide for like a breast to a child' or 'breast lover'. it is also similar to another root that means 'destroyer'. This is in reference to the flood so 'El Shaddai' is 'mighty provide and/or destroyer. I guess that is why it gets translated as 'almighty' but could be just as easily translated as the 'big nipple'.
Interesting. But whatever its roots, "El Shaddai" always refers to YHWH (Jehovah). "Mighty god" (Isaiah 9:6) can be applied to Jesus Christ, as at John 1:1c, but does not carry the connotation of THE almighty God. "Mighty god" is "El Gibbohr" in Hebrew, distinct from "El Shaddai." The title of "god" given to persons merely means a powerful, influential, important individual. It does not have to refer to the one true Almighty God.

El Shaddai = YHWH (Jehovah)

El Gibbohr = Jesus Christ

Yahu
Banned
Banned

Post #116

Post by Yahu »

onewithhim wrote:
Yahu wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:

JW
Interesting. But whatever its roots, "El Shaddai" always refers to YHWH (Jehovah). "Mighty god" (Isaiah 9:6) can be applied to Jesus Christ, as at John 1:1c, but does not carry the connotation of THE almighty God. "Mighty god" is "El Gibbohr" in Hebrew, distinct from "El Shaddai." The title of "god" given to persons merely means a powerful, influential, important individual. It does not have to refer to the one true Almighty God.

El Shaddai = YHWH (Jehovah)

El Gibbohr = Jesus Christ

El Shaddia is a nickname, a title, an epitaph.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #117

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to post 116 by Yahu]

Yes, "El Shaddai" is a title. What do you mean by "epitaph"?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #118

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Yahu wrote: I guess that is why it gets translated as 'almighty' but could be just as easily translated as the 'big nipple'.
Well I for one am eternally grateful that English translators chose to go another way on that one. Still you never know when I'll next play Trivial Pursuit.
Yahu wrote: A root of Shaddai is 'Shad', a woman's breast/teat.
Well Strongs lists the root of shaddai is "shadad" with no mention of breasts.
http://www.htmlbible.com/sacrednamebibl ... .htm#S7706

I suspect that whoever proposed this idea is leaning on a healthy dose of speculation, but anyway the point is that El Shaddai is not to be confused with El Elyon.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Yahu
Banned
Banned

Post #119

Post by Yahu »

onewithhim wrote: [Replying to post 116 by Yahu]

Yes, "El Shaddai" is a title. What do you mean by "epitaph"?
It means a 'descriptive title' as a reference to an individual. An example of an epitaph of Apollo is he was also called Pheobus while Pheobus just means 'bright','light bringer' as a title because of his status as sun god.

In ancient times a person or deity may be called by many different names, epitaphs or titles. A name wasn't given at birth and became a 'legal name' but even names were descriptive titles that could change over time.

An example of this in scripture is Amraphel was what Nimrod was called after the fall of Babel. Nimrod just means 'hunts with leopards' while Amraphel is 'fall of the sayer'. His name/title changed after he was cast down as a false prophet.

The same can be seen in the name changes of Abram to Abraham, Jacob to Israel, ...
Even one of the rewards given in the heavenly kingdom will be a 'new name'. It will be a name based on the meaning of that name applying to our character or deeds. This is why John the Bapist was called an Elijah because Elijah just means 'mighty in Yah'.

Our concept of applying a name to an individual at birth and that they keep that same 'legal name' as the only reference to them for their entire life is a modern development.

Many references in scripture are NOT names as we use them. Satan isn't a name, it is a title of his position in the heavenly court as the prosecutor, 'the accusor'. It would be like someone being called 'Mr President'. You have to know the context to know who is being referenced.

Now Elohyim was never called El Shaddai until after the flood. The 1st time it is used is when Yah talks to Abram.

Yahu
Banned
Banned

Post #120

Post by Yahu »

[Replying to post 118 by JehovahsWitness]

Taking the Shadday as the root is the reference to 'the destroyer', a reference to the destruction by the flood. I also mentioned that aspect as a possible root.

The paleo-hebrew for 'shad' is 'teeth/consume, doorway', it is a picture of a child at the breast.

Shad is the base root of the group. With the Yod on the end, is it part of the root or used as a vowel in the hebrew so not part of the root? The root is disputed. Even in English, a 'Y' can be a vowel in some cases. It all comes down to how certain rules get applied in Hebrew. In Hebrew, there is something called mater vowels when certain letters are used as vowel holding spots.

If you read the commentaries, they go into how El Shaddai is 'mighty provider' as a mother provides for the needs of a child.

Yes Strongs and many translators tend to take out any references that are considered to graphic by puritanical values but in Hebrew it is the concept of a mother caring for her child. It wasn't considered obscene in any way.