Moderator: Moderators

man
Banned
Banned

Jesus is Lord?

Post #1

Post by man »

Jesus is Lord!

I have seen this on bumper stickers, TV and the internet, but I'm not quite sure what it means.

It seems to be saying that Jesus and the God are the same thing, is this correct?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Jesus is Lord?

Post #2

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by man]

Not in my opinion no.

"Lord" is a title, like "Mr" or "Teacher" and the title "Lord" in scripture is not only applied to YHWH (Jehovah) but to humans, other (false) gods, and as you mention Jesus. Just as calling to two different people "Sir" doesn't imply they are all one and the same person, calling Jesus Lord doesn't of itself imply they are both the same person.

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

tigger2
Sage

Post #3

Post by tigger2 »

[Replying to post 2 by JehovahsWitness]

Except for "wife," your answer is excellent.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #4

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 3 by tigger2]

... yes, "wife" isn't a title. My bad. Actually I still had time to edit so I took "wife" out ..

Thanks "Eagle Eye".

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Monta
Guru

Post #5

Post by Monta »

man wrote: Jesus is Lord!

I have seen this on bumper stickers, TV and the internet, but I'm not quite sure what it means.

It seems to be saying that Jesus and the God are the same thing, is this correct?
The story of doubting Thomas:
John 20:26-28King James Version (KJV)

26 And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you.

27 Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.

28 And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.

marco
Savant

Post #6

Post by marco »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 1 by man]

Not in my opinion no.
It is astonishing that such a major claim is the subject of humble opinion rather than revealed truth, for Jehovah's Witnesses. One would have expected solid confirmation somewhere that either JESUS IS GOD or JESUS IS NOT GOD. For it to be reduced to a mere matter of opinion, by one believer, is a big surprise. And, we must be honest, does not say a lot for some Christian sects as having certainty in their beliefs. This is one area where infallibility becomes very useful, as in the RC Church.

man
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by man »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 1 by man]

Not in my opinion no.

"Lord" is a title, like "Mr" or "Teacher" and the title "Lord" in scripture is not only applied to YHWH (Jehovah) but to humans, other (false) gods, and as you mention Jesus. Just as calling to two different people "Sir" doesn't imply they are all one and the same person, calling Jesus Lord doesn't of itself imply they are both the same person.

JW
My problem with that interpretation is it smacks of polytheism.

If Jesus and God were the same person the polytheism problem goes away which from what I have read in other places from basic christians to theologists is what gave the Jesus is Lord saying its start.

man
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by man »

Monta wrote:

The story of doubting Thomas:
John 20:26-28King James Version (KJV)

26 And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you.

27 Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.

28 And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.
So are your saying Jesus and God are the same thing?

Elijah John
Savant

Post #9

Post by Elijah John »

I think the way most modern bumper-sticker Christians mean it is that "Jesus is God".

But that is not the original meaning of the expression. To Paul, it meant "Jesus is master" our best authority for understanding things Divine and the mediator for access to the Divine.

In the OT/Hebrew Bible "LORD" always meant YHVH, Lord meant Adonai ( "my Lord, referring to YHVH)

Only in the NT does the lower case "Lord" refer to Jesus.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by ttruscott »

Jesus is MY LORD is overt support for His deity and the Trinity for me. Jehovah, YHWH are names for three divine persons in their UNITY, their `echad-ness (if I may) the `echad of the Sh'mah and of Genesis 2:24 That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become ONE / `echad flesh.

Their flesh doesn't dissolve into one lump or puddle but it is ONE flesh not two in GOD's eyes as the closest humans can come to the UNITY of the Trinity. Why else tell us about this oneness we can't see or experience even during the act if it has nothing to do with the oneness [`echad-ness] of GOD HIMself??
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.