What is the Logos?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Checkpoint
Prodigy

What is the Logos?

Post #1

Post by Checkpoint »

I am referring to John's first chapter, where he introduces a Greek philosophical concept called "the Logos" which is usually translated as "the Word".

Who really understands, who can explain, what John wrote in these verses?

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God.
3 All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing that exists came into being.

God is with God? What??

Just philosophical ideas? And if so, to convey what to his readers?

Two Gods?

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #31

Post by Checkpoint »

dio9 wrote: I put this down on another thread but thinkit is more appropriate here.:

The Greeks used logos to mean; "a ground", "a plea", "an opinion", "an expectation", "word", "speech", "account", "to reason". (from Wikipedia )

I personally like Heraclitus's use of the word as " a principle of order and knowledge". (from Wikipedia)

This use seems to fit a creators need more exactly than the vague usage word .

Anyways whatever the meaning of Logos is, John identifies logos to be pre existent Jesus.
I would say, rather, John identifies the Logos to be the ground, the plan, the reason that "became flesh" as Jesus and as the Son.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #32

Post by Checkpoint »

bluethread wrote:
dio9 wrote:
JLB32168 wrote: Justin Martyr spoke Greek - the same Greek of Scripture. He identifies "the Word" as Christ. It seems to me that he knew his language better than modern scholars and if he says that the logos is Christ and God then we should defer to him. He's not the only one.
I don't think word means savior. But rather the word is closer to the divine principle that runs through life and things.
I agree, that is the nature of the Greek Logos. So, it appears to me that Yochannan is juxtaposing Yeshua with what in modern circles would be called the universal principle. So, Yeshua, the personal embodiment of HaTorah(The Word), performs the same purpose of the impersonal unifying principle(Logos, Word) of the nations.
Yes, that which was impersonal, the Logos, became personal in the person of Jesus.

That is surely what we are told in 1 John 1:1-3.

dio9
Under Probation

Post #33

Post by dio9 »

[Replying to Checkpoint]

Clearly Jesus is the original Human being God had in mind from before the beginning.
Jesus is what a human being was supposed to be in Adam.