Why would God need a hell?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

mickiel
Guru

Why would God need a hell?

Post #1

Post by mickiel »

As I consider God, its hard for me to consider him needing a place like hell? The Christian concept of eternal hell punishing is a barbaric thing to consider. Why would God need to punish a human for all of eternity. Lets just say a human does not believe in God, and they live that way for 80 years; they die and according to many interpretations of hell , they will be brought back to life; judged, then banished to an eternity of living suffering in this hell.

I mean that punishment does not even fit the crime; 80 years of living, now they must live forever in suffering? Why?

Why would a God even need to do that?

mickiel
Guru

Post #2

Post by mickiel »

Why was hell made into a doctrine? What kind of theology is hell?

Wootah
Savant

Post #3

Post by Wootah »

What do you suggest a good God do?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

mickiel
Guru

Post #4

Post by mickiel »

Wootah wrote: What do you suggest a good God do?

Far be it from me to suggest what God should do, but I know its nothing good about this hell doctrine; and I don't think God needs a garbage dump for any humans, nor do I believe that God would co-exist with a place like hell for eternity.
Besides, I think what God has already done is sufficient to cancel out any need for a hell.

Do you think humans need a hell? Do you think hell comes from the mind of God?

mickiel
Guru

Post #5

Post by mickiel »

You know, I was thinking; if God did not want someone around, all he has to do is will them out of existence; why keep them around for an eternity in a pain amplifier?

Elijah John
Savant

Post #6

Post by Elijah John »

If humans can devise humane punishments, confinements and rehabilitation, surely an all-wise, all-loving, and all-just God can imagine an even better solution.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

mickiel
Guru

Post #7

Post by mickiel »

Elijah John wrote:
If humans can devise humane punishments, confinements and rehabilitation, surely an all-wise, all-loving, and all-just God can imagine an even better solution.

I agree; and I am glad we are not in the hands of human understanding and religion. Hell is what humans need to be religious , Jesus death was all God needed to give humanity salvation from themselves.

tam
Savant

Post #8

Post by tam »

mickiel wrote: Why was hell made into a doctrine? What kind of theology is hell?
The theology of hell (as a place of eternal torment) is a theology of fear. That fear is used to enslave people; keep them under control, keep them in submission to the religious authorities, especially in the cases where it is taught or believed that only the religious authorities that can give them absolution, and keep them out of hell.

That doctrine unfortunately also drives away some people who might have come to God otherwise... except that they recognize that this is a terrible doctrine, and there can't possibly be a divine being who would actually send people to such a place.

(I cannot understand anyone who thinks that they could be happy and at peace in heaven, while their loved ones who did not make it into heaven are instead in torment in hell, forever. Who could be happy knowing that someone you loved was burning in hell, and their torment would never stop? Not ever?)

Hell - as a place of eternal torment does not exist. The words that are used to translate into hell are most often hades/sheol - both of which mean the world of the dead/ the common grave of mankind; hades/sheol is the place where everyone goes when they die (except for those in Christ), to rest (sleep) until the resurrection of the dead. Sheol is where Israel expected to go when they died, until the resurrection of the dead. There was no such place as this 'christian hell'.

Job even prayed to go there (to sheol - the grave) so that he could escape his suffering. How could that be if hades/sheol/hell was a place of torment as the 'hell doctrine' has traditionally implied?

I don't know when or how the meaning changed from the world of the dead, where the dead are conscious of nothing... to a place of burning hellfire. Someone else might know.

I just know that it is a false doctrine. I am reminded that the 'eternal soul' doctrine (or whatever it is called when people say that a soul/spirit can never be destroyed) contributed. If people do not think that a soul can be 'killed' or destroyed, then they had to invent a place where those souls to go that don't get into 'heaven'. But that is just piling one false doctrine on top of another, in order to cause the first false doctrine to make sense.

Death/destruction (complete destruction) accomplishes what some people seem to think we need a 'prison' hell (eternal suffering) for. So hell (eternal suffering) is pretty much 'overkill'.

Peace to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

mickiel
Guru

Post #9

Post by mickiel »

iTS MASK OVERKILL, powered up to give meaning to failure in Christ work. Its saying that Jesus has failed. It teaches that jesus came for the lost but could not find them. Jesus said I come not for the righteous, but for sinners to repentance./His mission was to gather sinners, and save them,; a stark contrast.

Hawkins
Scholar

Re: Why would God need a hell?

Post #10

Post by Hawkins »

[Replying to mickiel]

The 80 years is for you to show who you are. If you are willing to repent your sin to God, it means to can survive the eternity of living with God. If not, then you won't be able to live with God in an eternity called heaven.

You are thus abandoned as God needs happiness too. He bears with human sins only for you to have that 80 years. He will bear no more than that. It's like working in a pool of sh*t, that's how human sins are dealt with. When time is due, He will no longer work in such a pool of sh*t.

Now you will be permanently separated from God. It is because either you are with God, who is incompatible with sin, or you are not. There's nothing in between. After leaving God and without God's guidance, you will be a devil, just like Satan and his angels. A human is nothing better than the angels. God is the only source of good in this universe, without His guidance you will be one of those devils. It's just a matter of time.

God ever said the oath that your kind can never enter His rest. Nothing can legitimately spare you from the state of such a permanent separation from God, unless Jesus Christ will be put to disgrace the second time. This however won't happen.

Then the eternal fire will come for the devils, angels and humans alike.