What is absolute truth? Define it in your terms!

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

Madeline
Apprentice

What is absolute truth? Define it in your terms!

Post #1

Post by Madeline »

What is absolute truth? and how would you define it according to your beliefs. To me absolute truth is revealed to me in the book called the bible. It is the standard on how we should live and what our purpose is here on earth.

Love,
Madeline

seventil
Scholar

Re: What is absolute truth? Define it in your terms!

Post #41

Post by seventil »

Madeline wrote:What is absolute truth? and how would you define it according to your beliefs. To me absolute truth is revealed to me in the book called the bible. It is the standard on how we should live and what our purpose is here on earth.

Love,
Madeline
I am confused. How could a state (absolute truth) be revealed in the Bible? Perhaps you could be a little more specific.

I've always thought that absolute truth is the "essence of thought" persay... at least that's what I remember from my Philosophy classes.

Anyway, I'm just wondering how you pulled any of that out of the Bible.

Unless we're talking about JC and John... "I am the way, the truth, and the light?" -- if so, I think that's a bit different from absolute truth (as discussed in philosophy) and a more theological truth.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath
already committed breakfast with it in his heart" -- C.S. Lewis

jwu
Apprentice

Post #42

Post by jwu »

Jesus may have visited Tyre, however there is nothing in Ezekiel which says that its complete destruction was fulfilled by Nebuchadnezzar in 585-572 B.C, or by Alexander the Great in 332 B.C. It can easily refer an unfulfilled prophecy of a yet future date. icon_hug
"Not yet fulfilled" is a common explaination.

However, there are plenty other mistakes.

Madeline
Apprentice

Post #43

Post by Madeline »

jwu wrote:
Jesus may have visited Tyre, however there is nothing in Ezekiel which says that its complete destruction was fulfilled by Nebuchadnezzar in 585-572 B.C, or by Alexander the Great in 332 B.C. It can easily refer an unfulfilled prophecy of a yet future date. icon_hug
"Not yet fulfilled" is a common explaination.

However, there are plenty other mistakes.
Mistakes? Share!

Love,
Madeline

Ed
Student

Post #44

Post by Ed »

i would just like to say to jwu that before you get too excited(thinking you could actually find mistakes in the infallible word of God)to just hold yourself.Note that when questioning , there needs to be two things.
one, you've gone to an expert to get the answers-someone whose studied this indepth.
two that you honestly don't know.

so you wont be in the predicament where it would be better for you to have a millstone tied around your neck and thrown into a lake, then to cause a believer to stumble.
I get the horrible feeling that a lot of what's asked on this site is actually just rhetoric that has an answer, yet is still thrown around to make Christians doubt-or to cause non believers to wonder away from the truth.If you do know the answer and are just making people's lives difficult, i suggest you heed the previous warning...

i realise this is a site for debating such, but to come with fallacies as a proof, dramatically weakens your argument.

the original post was asking what is absolute truth-I must say to Madeline that i agree fully.the Bible is the absolute truth, breathed by the living God so that all men may know the way to him.its their choice what they'll do with that truth-to accept or rebel, though it doesn't make it less true

May Jesus be Glorified!

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #45

Post by McCulloch »

Ed wrote:I must say to Madeline that i agree fully.the Bible is the absolute truth, breathed by the living God so that all men may know the way to him.its their choice what they'll do with that truth-to accept or rebel, though it doesn't make it less true
How about some evidence to support your assertion?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

4gold
Sage

Re: What is absolute truth? Define it in your terms!

Post #46

Post by 4gold »

Madeline wrote:What is absolute truth? and how would you define it according to your beliefs. To me absolute truth is revealed to me in the book called the bible. It is the standard on how we should live and what our purpose is here on earth.

Love,
Madeline
Madeline, I define absolute truth as "the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth". But absolute truth, other than tautologies, is impossible to be found among humans, because even the best concept has an exception to the rule. So I don't even bother. Spiritually, I believe there is an absolute truth, but I don't believe I can ever figure it out as a human.

Here is why I think the Bible cannot be absolute truth: because there is not a single Christian or Jew alive today who follows just the Bible. All of them use outside influences to interpret the Bible. This makes the Bible a guide for truth, perhaps, but not the absolute source of truth.

Greatest I Am
Banned
Banned

Post #47

Post by Greatest I Am »

Look around for God's works. You will see it.
Start by thinkink that everythink is perfect and when you see it your there.

QED
Prodigy

Post #48

Post by QED »

Greatest I Am wrote:Look around for God's works. You will see it.
How do we know that what we see is the work of a God and not the result of some other contingency? Unless we can see beyond our limited horizon of space-time we have no idea what greater state-space might exist to aid in our existence. What we see will necessarily have some appearances of the perfection that I think you're perceiving in the world, as if things were not suited to our needs we would simply not be here to bemoan the fact.

Going down the other route could lead us to peculiar notion that God gave men noses in order to provide support for their eye-glasses. It might sound ridiculous but your whole argument starts unravelling from there.

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #49

Post by Cathar1950 »

QED wrote:
Greatest I Am wrote:Look around for God's works. You will see it.
How do we know that what we see is the work of a God and not the result of some other contingency? Unless we can see beyond our limited horizon of space-time we have no idea what greater state-space might exist to aid in our existence. What we see will necessarily have some appearances of the perfection that I think you're perceiving in the world, as if things were not suited to our needs we would simply not be here to bemoan the fact.

Going down the other route could lead us to peculiar notion that God gave men noses in order to provide support for their eye-glasses. It might sound ridiculous but your whole argument starts unravelling from there.
It sounds more like "Greatest I Am" is talking about brainwashing or indoctrination where you keep looking until you see what is not really there.
"Everything is beautiful in its own way"
Some Gnostics felt that the world was created by an evil god.

Vladd44
Sage

Post #50

Post by Vladd44 »

Madeline wrote:Well I know that God exists because my prayers are answered.
Then lets put it to the test, pray that god gives me a million dollars (non sequential please) in the mail by 01/06/2007. For those of us wanting proof, I will suffer and be the guinea pig.
Madeline wrote:I can't pray to God and ask him for me to win the Lottery, that just isn't going to happen because it is not in God's will.
I was glad to see that, I would hate one of those 30 year payment plans...small bills and a lump sum plz.
Madeline wrote:I prayed for the salvation of friends and family and they came to pass.
What does this mean? Can we measure or see this salvation you speak of?

If you mean they came to church and made some public spectacle of themselves, what is the miracle in that? If you like I will go to church this weekend and do the same things, but it doesnt mean I even believe it, much less become a miracle.
Madeline wrote:I prayed for a good job so that I may be able to feed the homeless, it came to pass.
Did you fill out an application? Offer a resume? References? Were you interviewed? Perhaps a friend suggested you?

Or did someone call you out of the blue. Someone you did not know, never heard of before and they offered you a job?It hardly requires a god to get a job.

I also hate to be the one to tell you this, but there are still homeless hungry people, perhaps you should ask god to give you an even better job.
Madeline wrote:I prayed for a quiter home so I may be able to study God's word more in-depth, it came to pass.
Once again, did it require looking for a new home? Did you have to fill out any paperwork? Is it paid for, or do you have to pay for it?

"Things" come to pass all the time, with or without prayer. Praying for something that happens on a daily basis and seeing it happen doesn't show a correlation between the prayer and the event.

I could pray that god sends me to the bathroom, but when I go, I will blame coca cola for the action, not god.
Madeline wrote:So why not explore via God's Spirit?
If I ever find any such spirit, I will be happy to do so, but I wont go off on fools errands following a "spirit" that I see no evidence for.
Madeline wrote:The Bible simply is the Word of God—and when God speaks, man knows He has spoken. If you read the Bible with an open heart and mind you must admit that this is true.
Then what is my excuse? I have read the bible more times than I care to admit, it was reading it that ultimately causes more disbelief than belief, hence the reason I am no longer a christian.
Madeline wrote:I mean, if we evolved from apes then why are apes still around?
Evolution does not teach this.
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.[GOD] ‑ 1 Cor 13:11
WinMX, BitTorrent and other p2p issues go to http://vladd44.com