How would you react to Adam and Eve?

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

OnceConvinced
Savant

How would you react to Adam and Eve?

Post #1

Post by OnceConvinced »

Adam and Steve... I mean Eve... were supposedly responsible for the fall of man. Due to their disobedience all of mankind was cast out of the Garden of Eden and suffering was piled upon them. Some even believe that sin corrupted the world and animals that were once herbivores became carnivores. Animals that were once harmless became venomous. Some believe that viruses and disease sprouted up as a result of sin entering creation.

Adam and Eve were the ones responsible for this, so surely everyone should be enraged at them? When you get to Heaven, surely, you will want to kick their asses for being so stupid and sentencing mankind to suffering on Earth?

Or do you see them as innocent beings in a dirty trick played by God? That God set them up to fail? Do you see God as the one responsible for all the suffering, so you don't blame Adam and Eve for what's happened?

Or perhaps you are even delighted that Adam and Eve did what they did, because you got to live a pretty cool life on a pretty cool planet. So you are grateful for their disobedience?

What do you think of Adam and Eve?

How would YOU react to Adam and Eve if you met them in Heaven?

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Re: How would you react to Adam and Eve?

Post #81

Post by Checkpoint »

[Replying to post 77 by Saint_of_Me]
As a Born Again Christian and a man of science.....yeah, I know, weird combo, huh?...I personally never ascribed to the doctrine of Original Sin. NOR The Fall.

How any theologian can say an innocent baby born today is already Fallen and mired in sin because of a Hebrew Myth written some 2500 years ago has always baffled me.

Back in my atheist days I was fond of citing this tale from Genesis as a prime example of the absurdity of Christianity and Judaism.

And nowadays I still fairly loathe the story.

What do you ascribe to, then, in place of the original sin doctrine, now that you are a born again Christian?

And I'd love to know your personal story of how you went from being an atheist to where you are today.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #82

Post by JehovahsWitness »

OnceConvinced wrote: Adam and Eve were the ones responsible for this, so surely everyone should be enraged at them? When you get to Heaven, surely, you will want to ?

Yes, I don't mean to sound disrespectful towards my parents but enraged is an understatement.

OnceConvinced wrote: Adam and Eve were the ones responsible for this, so surely everyone should be enraged at them? When you get to Heaven, surely, you will want to ?

I don't believe I'm going to heaven, and even if I did, I don't believe I'd see either of them there. Still if (hypotheically) I did meet them, I would indeed feel the need to express my deep anger at what they did.

JEHOVAHS WITNESS
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #83

Post by OnceConvinced »

[Replying to post 79 by JehovahsWitness]

I like your honest reply here. I would have to wonder though, if you were in their shoes whether you might fail in a similar way.

It's an interesting one. What if? I guess we can never know for sure.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #84

Post by JehovahsWitness »

OnceConvinced wrote:
I like your honest reply here. I would have to wonder though, if you were in their shoes whether you might fail in a similar way.

It's an interesting one. What if? I guess we can never know for sure.
Oh I sincerely hope not!

None of us can be overconfident, I don't know if you are bible reader or not but there's a scripture that says "Let him that thinks he is standing beware he does not fall" so such a bad imho decision remains a possibility ... that said, since I am serving God (imperfectly albeit) at the moment despite lifes pressures and temptations, I don't think it would be overly presumptuous to at least say there is the strong possibility that I would have made similar décisions had I been in their favorable circumstances and not broken God's law.

Anyway, all I can do is continue on my present struggles to remain loyal to my Maker and learn the lessons from what happened to Adam and Eve.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Domenic

Post #85

Post by Domenic »

OnceConvinced wrote: Adam and Steve... I mean Eve... were supposedly responsible for the fall of man. Due to their disobedience all of mankind was cast out of the Garden of Eden and suffering was piled upon them. Some even believe that sin corrupted the world and animals that were once herbivores became carnivores. Animals that were once harmless became venomous. Some believe that viruses and disease sprouted up as a result of sin entering creation.

Adam and Eve were the ones responsible for this, so surely everyone should be enraged at them? When you get to Heaven, surely, you will want to kick their asses for being so stupid and sentencing mankind to suffering on Earth?

Or do you see them as innocent beings in a dirty trick played by God? That God set them up to fail? Do you see God as the one responsible for all the suffering, so you don't blame Adam and Eve for what's happened?

Or perhaps you are even delighted that Adam and Eve did what they did, because you got to live a pretty cool life on a pretty cool planet. So you are grateful for their disobedience?

What do you think of Adam and Eve?

How would YOU react to Adam and Eve if you met them in Heaven?
Most of the comments are amazing. People ask questions without reading the scriptures. They say things that are not in the scriptures. Few seem to know what happens after death. Even less know what Adam and eve did?
Let me give you a hint: Genesis 3:15. All of genesis was written in Hebrew…all but one word found in Genesis 3:15. Where you read the English word seed. That word was in the Greek, SPERMA. In the Greek it means, OFFSPRING. God is talking to Satan about his offspring. Now there was only one women in the garden…who do you think Satan made an offspring with?
Genesis five…the history of Adam. Now all the first born in the scriptures are named, be they good people or bad. Cain was the first born to Eve. Why is he not listed as a son of Adam? The first is Seth which means replacement. Cain was still alive when Seth was born, so it had to be a replacement for Able…Cain was not Adams son.
Jesus talked about two seeds…one from Adam, and one from Satan…which are you?

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #86

Post by OnceConvinced »

Domenic wrote:
Most of the comments are amazing. People ask questions without reading the scriptures. They say things that are not in the scriptures. Few seem to know what happens after death. Even less know what Adam and eve did?
Let me give you a hint: Genesis 3:15. All of genesis was written in Hebrew…all but one word found in Genesis 3:15. Where you read the English word seed. That word was in the Greek, SPERMA. In the Greek it means, OFFSPRING. God is talking to Satan about his offspring. Now there was only one women in the garden…who do you think Satan made an offspring with?
Genesis five…the history of Adam. Now all the first born in the scriptures are named, be they good people or bad. Cain was the first born to Eve. Why is he not listed as a son of Adam? The first is Seth which means replacement. Cain was still alive when Seth was born, so it had to be a replacement for Able…Cain was not Adams son.
Jesus talked about two seeds…one from Adam, and one from Satan…which are you?
How is this in any way relevent to the question posed?

"How would you react to Adam and Eve?"

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #87

Post by ttruscott »

[Replying to post 1 by OnceConvinced: "Adam and Eve were the ones responsible for this, so surely everyone should be enraged at them? When you get to Heaven, surely, you will want to ?"]

I know that many Christians take comfort in blaming Adam and Eve even at the expense of blasphemy against GOD but many thoughtful Christians reject them as responsible for our sins and rather accept that our guilt is from our own free will choices to be evil.
Last edited by ttruscott on Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #88

Post by ttruscott »

[Replying to post 64 by wannabe: "The way I see it.

It's Yin Yang - One can not exist without the other. Good cannot exist without evil,
Or evil without good. light does not exist without dark, and hot does not exist without cold. Otherwise what else does each (hot, light, good) have a reference to (cold, dark, evil)."]

To me, this understanding is a fallacy: the Christian opinion is that good is not opposite evil like hot vrs cold. Before creation there was only one, a singularity of good. Good existed without evil perfectly and completely in the nature of GOD.

Other opinions just are - they have no extra value over the Christian opinion.

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #89

Post by ttruscott »

[Replying to post 64 by wannabe: "God had to know evil would exist, before he created conscience man with intelligence."]

Christian theology needs no more that to say that HE knew the possibility of evil being brought into existence by one of HIS creation, that is, we are NOT Platonists who think that behind every bit of earthly reality there must exist a perfect aspect of that reality in the spirit world. No way...

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #90

Post by ttruscott »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Yes, I don't mean to sound disrespectful towards my parents but enraged is an understatement.

I don't believe I'm going to heaven, and even if I did, I don't believe I'd see either of them there. Still if (hypotheically) I did meet them, I would indeed feel the need to express my deep anger at what they did.

JEHOVAHS WITNESS
In my understanding, A&E did nothing, absolutely nothing more than any other person born on earth has done and far less than some. People are guilty of their own sinful choices, and cannot off put that guilt to them or onto GOD. There is nothing in the logic of Chirstianity that allows for the orthodox interpretation of our being born (NOT created) sinful to hold sway. Inherited sin from Adam is a blasphemy and unacceptable to those who actually accept GOD's holiness and do not just pay it lip service.