Evolution is stupid

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

BigChrisfilm
Apprentice

Evolution driving me BONKERS!

Post #1

Post by BigChrisfilm »

GOOD GRIEF WILL SOMEONE GIVE ME SOME PROOF OF EVOLUTION BEFORE I PUNCH MYSELF SQUARE IN THE FACE! LOL.

theleftone

Post #31

Post by theleftone »

BigChrisfilm wrote:I understand this is what you believe, but I asked for proof, not belief.
The fact that you're asking for "proof" shows that you don't understand (a) the definition of the word proof; or (b) scientific inquiry. I assume the latter. Science, or rather the scientific method, is incapable of providing "proof" of anything. What it allows us to do is measure and gather data. From this data, we can then formulate arguments explaining the nature of the universe.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #32

Post by McCulloch »

BigChrisfilm wrote:So since they [humans and chimpanzees ] look the same, that means they are related? I think that means the same guy made them.
Two possible explanations. One is that the same guy made them, the other is that the same natural process made them. It does not mean that either is, to use your word, stupid.
BigChrisfilm wrote:How did it turn out to be right?
Here is where ID and evolution differ. BigChrisfilm and other creationists assume without support that it did turn out right and that humans are the pinnacle of creation. Evolutionists, at risk of being tautalogistic, simply believe that it turned out how it turned out and that the process may not yet be complete.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

BigChrisfilm
Apprentice

Post #33

Post by BigChrisfilm »

tselem wrote:
BigChrisfilm wrote:I understand this is what you believe, but I asked for proof, not belief.
The fact that you're asking for "proof" shows that you don't understand (a) the definition of the word proof; or (b) scientific inquiry. I assume the latter. Science, or rather the scientific method, is incapable of providing "proof" of anything. What it allows us to do is measure and gather data. From this data, we can then formulate arguments explaining the nature of the universe.
Ok, let me rephrase the question. Will someone give me one form of evidence.

BigChrisfilm
Apprentice

Post #34

Post by BigChrisfilm »

Two possible explanations. One is that the same guy made them, the other is that the same natural process made them. It does not mean that either is, to use your word, stupid.

Correct, I used the word stupid as a trigger word to get people to check on this thread. Neither are stupid, but they are both equally excepted by faith.
Here is where ID and evolution differ. BigChrisfilm and other creationists assume without support that it did turn out right and that humans are the pinnacle of creation. Evolutionists, at risk of being tautalogistic, simply believe that it turned out how it turned out and that the process may not yet be complete.
I know that is what you believe, but why am I paying for it to be in your public school? Beleif makes for good religion, but not science.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #35

Post by McCulloch »

McCulloch wrote:Here is where ID and evolution differ. BigChrisfilm and other creationists assume without support that it did turn out right and that humans are the pinnacle of creation. Evolutionists, at risk of being tautalogistic, simply believe that it turned out how it turned out and that the process may not yet be complete.
BigChrisfilm wrote:I know that is what you believe, but why am I paying for it to be in your public school? Beleif makes for good religion, but not science.
"it turned out the way it turned out" = truth, how can you argue with a tautology?
"it turned out right" = unsupported belief

"humans are the pinnacle of creation" = unsupported belief
"the process may not yet be complete" = truth

Which one did you want to be taught in public schools?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

BigChrisfilm
Apprentice

Post #36

Post by BigChrisfilm »

McCulloch wrote:
McCulloch wrote:Here is where ID and evolution differ. BigChrisfilm and other creationists assume without support that it did turn out right and that humans are the pinnacle of creation. Evolutionists, at risk of being tautalogistic, simply believe that it turned out how it turned out and that the process may not yet be complete.
BigChrisfilm wrote:I know that is what you believe, but why am I paying for it to be in your public school? Beleif makes for good religion, but not science.
"it turned out the way it turned out" = truth, how can you argue with a tautology?

I don't want either taught in my schools. If you have no evidence for Evolution, then get it out of the schools. I am tired of my tax dollars paying to destroy some kids belief in the bible, just because. If you can provide evidence, then fine, if you can't quit lying to the kids, making them believe this is true, when it's not.

BigChrisfilm
Apprentice

Post #37

Post by BigChrisfilm »

McCulloch wrote:

I don't want either taught in my schools. If you have no evidence for Evolution, then get it out of the schools. I am tired of my tax dollars paying to destroy some kids belief in the bible, just because. If you can provide evidence, then fine, if you can't quit lying to the kids, making them believe this is true, when it's not.

harvey1
Prodigy

Re: Evolution is stupid

Post #38

Post by harvey1 »

BigChrisfilm wrote:Someone give me some good reason why I should believe it please.
Well, of course there's a great deal of scientific evidence for biological evolution, however there's also very good scriptural evidence for evolution.

1. Humans are beasts:
I said in mine heart concerning the estate of the sons of men, that God might manifest them, and that they might see that they themselves are beasts. (Eccl. 3:18)
* This is clear evidence that scripture says that humans are animals

2. God commanded the Earth to bring about life:
And God said, Let the earth cause grass to spring up, herb producing seed, fruit-trees yielding fruit after their kind, the seed of which is in them, on the earth. And it was so. And the earth brought forth grass, herb producing seed after its kind, and trees yielding fruit, the seed of which is in them, after their kind. And God saw that it was good. (Gen. 1:11-12)
* Notice that Genesis specifically states that the earth caused life to come about.
God also said: Let the waters bring forth the creeping creature having life, and the fowl that may fly over the earth under the firmament of heaven. (Gen. 1:20)
* Here we see that the waters brought forth creeping creatures (e.g., anthropods and amphibians) and even flying things (i.e., "fowl" means anything that flies, e.g., flying fish). Btw, anthropods and flying anthropods came onto land prior to land animals. (Flying anthropods account for most of the flying creatures.)
And God said, Let the earth give birth to all sorts of living things, cattle and all things moving on the earth, and beasts of the earth after their sort: and it was so. (Gen. 1:24)
* It is earth that gives birth to land animals

From a Christian perspective, this argument is made stronger by Pauline theology:
The spiritual did not come first, but the natural, and after that the spiritual. (I Cor. 15:46)
* Paul argues that the spiritual is akin to the physical. That is, we can learn from physical historical facts to understand the spiritual historical facts
And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit. (II Cor. 3:18)
* Paul shows that we spiritually evolve into God's image. This matches nicely with Genesis where humans (who are beasts according to Ecclesiates) are transformed (evolved) into the image of God

Paul also talks about the spiritual type of natural selection that is happening in the world:
the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the glorious freedom of the children of God. (Rom. 8:20)
* So, the natural world is subject to decay and bondage while being transformed (evolved) by God. The earth has been the cause in bringing about this transformed life, and that eventually the creation will be liberated by the spiritual children of God that arose from the world.

This, I think, is good reason for why a Christian ought to be an evolutionist.
People say of the last day, that God shall give judgment. This is true. But it is not true as people imagine. Every man pronounces his own sentence; as he shows himself here in his essence, so will he remain everlastingly -- Meister Eckhart

juliod
Guru

Post #39

Post by juliod »

Will someone give me one form of evidence.
Here's a link with at least 29:

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/comdesc/

Seriously, the evidence you seek is there. Starting new threads continuously won't make it go away.

If you want an example you can get a handle on, consider the evolution of multi-drug-resistant bacteria. Antibiotics were once the miracles of science. They were usually very effective in treating bacterial infections. But the bacteria are evolving resistance to the drugs faster than we can discover new ones. This process has been accelerated by the all-too-widespread use of antibiotics in medicine and in industrial-scale meat and dairy industries.

Most hospitals are awash in multi-resistant bacteria and this is costing lives. Now, if science is all wrong, we would expect creationists to have a solution to this problem. Why don't they?

DanZ

harvey1
Prodigy

Post #40

Post by harvey1 »

BigChrisfilm wrote:I don't want either taught in my schools. If you have no evidence for Evolution, then get it out of the schools. I am tired of my tax dollars paying to destroy some kids belief in the bible, just because. If you can provide evidence, then fine, if you can't quit lying to the kids, making them believe this is true, when it's not.
Evolutionary theory is a scientific theory, so it is not reasonable to ask that all sectors of society have their kids not taught science just so that people can preserve their religious beliefs. However, in my view, the Christian parent has a Christian responsibility to teach evolutionary theory to the child as they grow up. By the time they reach the age where evolution is taught, this should not happen where evolution is a problem for their religious beliefs.
People say of the last day, that God shall give judgment. This is true. But it is not true as people imagine. Every man pronounces his own sentence; as he shows himself here in his essence, so will he remain everlastingly -- Meister Eckhart