Donald Trump has exposed 'evangelical' voters

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Danmark
Site Supporter

Donald Trump has exposed 'evangelical' voters

Post #1

Post by Danmark »

I was raised as an evangelical. I WAS an evangelical. It is clear that Trump is not an authentic evangelical; he knows next to nothing about the Bible and has lived and continues to live and promote a lifestyle that is antithetical to evangelical Christianity.
Yet he is doing very well, better than any other Republican candidate, among evangelicals.

My conclusion is that evangelicals care much more about secular politics than about true Christian values. Has Trump support among 'evangelicals' exposed the fact the 'evangelical voting block' is not based on Christian values, but on secular political values?

Elijah John
Savant

Post #61

Post by Elijah John »

Wootah wrote: [Replying to Elijah John]

The reason Mitt lost is because people sat out. The Dems have been winning by motivating their base better than Republicans. If Mitt had shown a 10th of Trump's passion he would have won.
I'm glad you brought that up. There is some truth in that.

According to Fox news, it was the Evangelicals who sat on their hands and did not vote for Romney because he was a Mormon.

And we got the pro-abortion Obama instead. Happy?

Evangelicals could have gotten someone who shares their values, instead they missed a great opportunity because of theological differences.

Remember the unjust kings of Israel. And God's judgement. It amazes me that Evangelicals would compromise their principles and elect a man of such low character as Donald Trump.

This Trump bandwagon is nothing short of the idolatry of celebrity-worship, imo. The American people know Trump from the reality show "Celebrity Apprentice" and ...well, "the Donald" may or may not think so, but he will not have the authority to tell Congress "you're fired".

"Passion" does not cover a multitude of sins. Many dictators had passion too. There are more important things in a presidential candidate than passion.

The phrase "cult of personality" comes to mind, in regard to Donald Trump.

Shall we get into the list of people Trump has insulted, just this year?

I've said it before, but he would have been banned from this site years ago, for his ad hominums.

Interesting, that we have higher standards here on this site for debators, than Evangelicals apparently do for their presidential candidate.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #62

Post by Elijah John »

Wootah wrote: [Replying to post 57 by Elijah John]

It's just bizarre language, cure, disease. Why succumb to
emotionalism?

What do you suppose the problem in America is today?
OK, substitute "problem" and solution if my metaphors make you uncomfortable.

Trump is STILL not the solution.

The problem with America? There is not just one. What are you getting at? How would you, from your distant perspecive, diagnose our main problem?

It's my contention that Donald Trump is not the only one that wants a strong US military or a good economy, Rubio, Kasich, and Cruz to too. Why give Trump all the credit for the positons he IS correct on? He's not the only one....and the others have more detailed solutions, and with the substance of better character to boot!.

-YHVH is LORD

Elijah John
Savant

Post #63

Post by Elijah John »

[Replying to post 60 by Wootah]

Yes, and he accepted Trump's endorsement too, so what? One of them made a mistake about the other, or maybe, just maybe, both of them were mistaken.

I think one of them grew, and I think it was Romney. Judging by the # of people Trump has insulted, just this year I would say it was not Donald Trump who has grown.

Just this year, Trump has personally insulted:

Jeb Bush
Carly Fiorena
Megyn Kelly
Ted Cruz
Marco Rubio
Ben Carson
George W Bush
Mitt Romney

Seems to be a (low) character trait of his. Certainly a pattern, that started at least ten years ago by insulting Rosie O'Donnell.

The fact that Trump's numbers seem to climb when he resorts to such childish behavior makes me fear for my country.

-YHVH is LORD

Monta
Guru

Post #64

Post by Monta »

[Replying to post 63 by Elijah John]

"The fact that Trump's numbers seem to climb when he resorts to such childish behavior makes me fear for my country"

It is not your country we are worried about, it is the world.
Your past Presidents have brought death destruction to millions of people.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #65

Post by Zzyzx »

Monta wrote: It is not your country we are worried about, it is the world.
Your past Presidents have brought death destruction to millions of people.
Moderator Comment

Blanket, unsubstantiated opinions contribute nothing to discussion -- and your remark does not address the OP issue "Donald Trump has exposed 'evangelical' voters"

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Elijah John
Savant

Post #66

Post by Elijah John »

Here is at least one Evangelical who is disturbed by Trump's lack of decency...Max Lucado in a Washington Post article said this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/postever ... ency-test/

Would that more Evangelicals heed this. The Pope too, is disturbed by Donald Trumps rhetoric.

-YHVH is LORD

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #67

Post by Danmark »

Trump is popular for reasons this article explains. Who has the solution to this angry dumbing down of America? I certainly do not.

Journalist Charles Pierce, author of Idiot America, adds another perspective:
"The rise of idiot America today represents - for profit mainly, but also and more cynically, for political advantage in the pursuit of power - the breakdown of a consensus that the pursuit of knowledge is a good. It also represents the ascendancy of the notion that the people whom we should trust the least are the people who best know what they are talking about. In the new media age, everybody is an expert."

http://www.sott.net/article/313177-The- ... of-America

Black Sheep
Banned
Banned

Re: Donald Trump has exposed 'evangelical' voters

Post #68

Post by Black Sheep »

[Replying to post 2 by WinePusher]

I feel the same way. I don't like Cruz whatsoever, and neither do many others. Cruz appears to be the more unethical of the bunch.

I say we need a guy like Trump to clean up Washington which is more dysfunctional than the average broken home family. At least with Trump, you know what you're getting! I think he's winning because Americans have finally smartened up to Islam. Most Americans want to stop Muslims from migrating here. How many friends did you lose on Sept. 11, 2001? Islam should have been banned from America the day after the towers fell...

The following verse is found among one of the chapters describing the Assyrian anti-Christ...

"And there shall be upon every high mountain, and upon every high hill, rivers and streams of waters in the day of the great slaughter, when the towers fall."

I'll vote for Trump in a heartbeat!

http://www.blacksheepprophecies.com/can ... oming.html

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #69

Post by Danmark »

Black Sheep wrote: [Replying to post 2 by WinePusher]

I feel the same way. I don't like Cruz whatsoever, and neither do many others. Cruz appears to be the more unethical of the bunch.

I say we need a guy like Trump to clean up Washington which is more dysfunctional than the average broken home family. At least with Trump, you know what you're getting! I think he's winning because Americans have finally smartened up to Islam. Most Americans want to stop Muslims from migrating here. How many friends did you lose on Sept. 11, 2001? Islam should have been banned from America the day after the towers fell...

http://www.blacksheepprophecies.com/can ... oming.html
This attitude troubles me greatly. It is flat out anti American. I am not surprised because for years I've noted that many of our 'super patriots' do not have a basic understanding of the U. S. Constitution, and the Bill of Rights in particular. Yes, Trump's your guy if you do not believe in the 1st Amendment, the right to freedom of speech and freedom of religion. Trump is benefiting from the ignorance and fear of the uneducated.
The article I posted explains much of this:
http://www.sott.net/article/313177-The- ... of-America

I predicted that those who were most in need of reading it in its entirety, would not. I would like to be proved wrong by seeing a critique of the essay. I do not necessarily believe every word in it myself, and welcome debate on the subject.

Black Sheep
Banned
Banned

Post #70

Post by Black Sheep »

[Replying to post 69 by Danmark]

I can understand why it's troubling. It's not an easy thing for me to stand where I do on the subject because no matter what it is somewhat offensive. 911 hit close to me and I knew an attack was coming and predicted it to a few friends. It's very much like Catholic bashing where there's a lot of that going around. It really isn't anti-American. The Constitution isn't a perfect document and neither is any translation of the bible other than the original manuscripts.

The problem is that Islam isn't 'just' a religion. I say it's more a political ideology disguised as a religion. We should not allow Islam to flourish in this country any more than we should allow the Nazi party to take hold. Islam has murdered more Christians in the last 15 years "than in all of history." In the Sudan between 98-99, more than 5,000 villages were destroyed over 15,000 churches were burned. And the list of terror attacks since 911 is astounding, many of which in Northern Africa went unreported. If you saw the list of Islamic wars since it's inception you would be amazed.

When Mohammad started having visions and hearing voices, his religion went nowhere and had a following of only about 100 people after 15 or so years. That is until he started converting by the sword. He and his hoards tried three times to take out Mecca and finally did it. A hundred years after Islam began, it was powerful enough to have taken large amounts of territory. Many say had it not been for Charles Martel, all of Europe would have fallen to Islam.

That's why Constitutionalist scare me. The "freedom of religion" clause needs to be amended.

I'm hoping that I'm wrong about my prediction. And it's only a prediction and not a very nice one to predict. Have you ever heard of the "American Hiroshima" by the way?