Donald Trump has exposed 'evangelical' voters

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Danmark
Site Supporter

Donald Trump has exposed 'evangelical' voters

Post #1

Post by Danmark »

I was raised as an evangelical. I WAS an evangelical. It is clear that Trump is not an authentic evangelical; he knows next to nothing about the Bible and has lived and continues to live and promote a lifestyle that is antithetical to evangelical Christianity.
Yet he is doing very well, better than any other Republican candidate, among evangelicals.

My conclusion is that evangelicals care much more about secular politics than about true Christian values. Has Trump support among 'evangelicals' exposed the fact the 'evangelical voting block' is not based on Christian values, but on secular political values?

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Re: Donald Trump has exposed 'evangelical' voters

Post #141

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Volbrigade wrote: You might be interested in this, Elijah.

It is, to me, the best thing written so far in regard to this spurious and revolting "Trumpmania" phenomenon -- especially (but by no means exclusively) among so-called "Evangelicals".

If the link opens as "members only", please let me know, and I'll c&p the whole article.

http://www.worldmag.com/2016/04/strange_sympathies
Just wanted to confirm the link's readily accessible, if only to me.

This has been a service of the committee to help folks keep from wastin' their time.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Elijah John
Savant

Post #142

Post by Elijah John »

Volbrigade wrote:
You might be interested in this, Elijah.

It is, to me, the best thing written so far in regard to this spurious and revolting "Trumpmania" phenomenon -- especially (but by no means exclusively) among so-called "Evangelicals".

If the link opens as "members only", please let me know, and I'll c&p the whole article.

http://www.worldmag.com/2016/04/strange_sympathies
The link works, excellent article V. Thank you. Max Lucado is another Evangelical who wrote a good ant-Trump piece. Good to know there are some prominent Evangelical who do not by into Trum's bluster and bravado.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #143

Post by myth-one.com »

Danmark wrote: I was raised as an evangelical. I WAS an evangelical. It is clear that Trump is not an authentic evangelical; he knows next to nothing about the Bible and has lived and continues to live and promote a lifestyle that is antithetical to evangelical Christianity.
Yet he is doing very well, better than any other Republican candidate, among evangelicals.

My conclusion is that evangelicals care much more about secular politics than about true Christian values. Has Trump support among 'evangelicals' exposed the fact the 'evangelical voting block' is not based on Christian values, but on secular political values?
I was raised as an evangelical, and have always supported the Republican Party. Both are now an extreme embarrassment for me.

Debaters on this site would be warned, then barred by using language which Donald uses openly to nationwide audiences!

The only Republican goal which I can recall over the past eight years was to get President Obama out of office.

Other than that one common goal, they were perfectly content to shut the government down -- which they did on at least one occasion. They then paid themselves for the time they would have worked had they been at their jobs!

Thanks to term limitations, they finally succeeded in this one goal.

But having done nothing but sabotage the President for eight years, Republicans have forgotten how to govern.

They cannot even govern their own Party!!

If they had any control and character, they would have powered off Donald's microphone, asked him to leave the stage, and banned him from the party upon his first public usage of the F, S, or P words, or his belittling of any minority!

By not doing so, they admitted that Republicans (evangelical or not) condone vulgarity and prejudice.

"Evangelical" Republicans need to ask themselves "What would Jesus do?"

At this point, the correct answer is to vote Democratic!

====================================================================
I have known some heroes during my life. One was a Medal of Honor recipient whom I knew from college. Another was a Purple Heart recipient whom I played football with in college.

Without hesitation, too many have given their all for this great experiment at freedom.

Would the first wave going ashore on Omaha beach in 1944 have gone so willingly if they knew their country would be handed over to a clown only 72 years later??

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #144

Post by JoeyKnothead »

This article, from rawstory.com seems to tie perfectly into this OP:
Evangelical means mean. Opposing anti-poverty programs, shaming and stigmatizing queers, making it harder for poor women to prevent pregnancy, blaming rape victims, diverting aid dollars into church coffers, threatening little kids with eternal torture, supporting war, denying the rights of other species, . . . need I go on?

Laid out like this—sex-obsessed, arrogant, bigoted, lying, greedy, ignorant, predatory and mean—one understands why a commentator like Croft might say that Trump is Evangelicalism. But reading closer, it becomes clear that Trump and Cruz and Rubio are not the problem.

The Evangelical brand is toxic because of the stagnant priorities and behaviors of Evangelicals themselves. Desperate to safeguard an archaic set of social and theological agreements, Evangelical leaders bet that if they could secure political power they could force a halt to moral and spiritual evolution. They themselves wouldn’t have to grow and change.

They also believed that they could get something for nothing, that they could sell their brand and keep it too. They couldn’t have been more wrong.
If only for me, Christian Evangelicals (for the most part) are antithetical to this nation's core beliefs - that of freedom and justice for all.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #145

Post by myth-one.com »

It's D-Day!

June 6, 2016.

A good time for Republicans to revisit the following question:

Would the first wave going ashore on Omaha beach in 1944 have gone so willingly if they knew the Republican Party might hand over the presidency of the United States to a clown only 72 years later??

Monta
Guru

Post #146

Post by Monta »

[Replying to myth-one.com]

"By not doing so, they admitted that Republicans (evangelical or not) condone vulgarity and prejudice.

At this point, the correct answer is to vote Democratic! "

Does that mean that according to Democrats Libya is a
showcase for Jesus?

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #147

Post by myth-one.com »

Monta wrote: [Replying to myth-one.com]

"By not doing so, they admitted that Republicans (evangelical or not) condone vulgarity and prejudice.

At this point, the correct answer is to vote Democratic! "

Does that mean that according to Democrats Libya is a
showcase for Jesus?
It means that the Republicans have forfeited an election which they should have won by a landslide -- exactly because of disasters like Libya!!!!

They forfeited it because they could not even control their own party!

My wife could run the country better than Hillary.

And my dog could run the country better than Trump.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #148

Post by myth-one.com »

[quote="Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., calling Trump's judicial attacks "the most un-American thing from a politician since Joe McCarthy," told The New York Times"]

If anybody was looking for an off-ramp, this is probably it ... There’ll come a time when the love of country will trump hatred of Hillary.

[/quote]

My days were full of darkness,

but now because of you,

In one small corner of endless night,

I see a patch of blue!

Thanks Senator Graham!

Continue to be courageous.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #149

Post by Danmark »

As unhappy as many are with Hillary Clinton and Democrats in general, is there a single Evangelical Christian left who can justify voting for Donald Trump not that his vast general ignorance and clear bigotry has been exposed?

Volbrigade
Banned
Banned

Post #150

Post by Volbrigade »

Danmark wrote: As unhappy as many are with Hillary Clinton and Democrats in general, is there a single Evangelical Christian left who can justify voting for Donald Trump not that his vast general ignorance and clear bigotry has been exposed?
No one can justify voting for Trumpf.

The only possible justification is to vote against Hillary.

But it is not worth compromising -- or is it sacrificing? -- one's honor, principles, and integrity (not to mention plain ol' "class" 8-) ) for a man who has none of those qualities.

Hillary will be a disaster.

Trumpf will be a different kind of disaster.

There is no viable choice in this election, as this time. But a major surprise of some kind would not surprise me.

In the end, we get the leadership we deserve.

And that's a terrible thing.

And this is coming from someone who's as Evangelical as they come. ;)