Should the next president be a woman?

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

2Dbunk
Site Supporter

Should the next president be a woman?

Post #1

Post by 2Dbunk »

Quote by agnosticatheist in the Househusbands thread, post #13, Science and Religion. (I refer you there for a running brouhaha on the contradiction below:)

I believe that men and women are equal.

With that said...I think that generally, women still are not cut out for the workplace.

2Dbunk said in reply:

Are not those two sentences contradictory?

Former Prime Minister Thatcher and Germany's Angela Merkel are examples of what women are capable of achieving. I find it interesting that the next president of the USA may well be a woman. Carly Fiorina v. Hillary Clinton could well be the opposing candidates.
The question for debate: Is the United States ready to elect a woman as president? To avoid the running war of words in househusbands thread (Science and Religion), try to be objective, un-repetitive and less emotional. Statistics would be nice if available.

catnip
Guru

Re: Should the next president be a woman?

Post #31

Post by catnip »

2Dbunk wrote:

Quote by agnosticatheist in the Househusbands thread, post #13, Science and Religion. (I refer you there for a running brouhaha on the contradiction below:)

I believe that men and women are equal.

With that said...I think that generally, women still are not cut out for the workplace.

2Dbunk said in reply:

Are not those two sentences contradictory?

Former Prime Minister Thatcher and Germany's Angela Merkel are examples of what women are capable of achieving. I find it interesting that the next president of the USA may well be a woman. Carly Fiorina v. Hillary Clinton could well be the opposing candidates.
The question for debate: Is the United States ready to elect a woman as president? To avoid the running war of words in househusbands thread (Science and Religion), try to be objective, un-repetitive and less emotional. Statistics would be nice if available.
I would always vote for the most experienced, best qualified person regardless of any other issues. I would never be a single issue voter. That said, while I have not always been a fan of Hillary;s, she has a proven track record, she knows her way around Washington, she has been involved in politics all her life--even as a teen. If she is elected, I know with certainty that the country would remain fundamentally the same through her term of office. Trump? He is a wild card, without much experience in the political arena, rather prone to encourage violence, does not discourage racism--indeed, appears to actually encourage it. I consider him dangerous. I lived with the Cold War most of my life and I have a strong aversion to WALLS!

Oh, yes. I am still registered Republican. I need to change that . . .

Monta
Guru

Post #32

Post by Monta »

[Replying to post 30 by catnip]

"I would always vote for the most experienced, best qualified person regardless of any other issues. I would never be a single issue voter. That said, while I have not always been a fan of Hillary;s, she has a proven track record, she knows her way around Washington, she has been involved in politics all her life--even as a teen. If she is elected, I know with certainty that the country would remain fundamentally the same through her term of office."

Country would remain fundamentaly the same?
God help us.

Perhaps some new wars or keep bombing the bones of the old.
Perhaps we should ask Iraqis, Afganis,..too many names.. Hillary could throw few bombs on China and why not Russia. Every US President must make a name for h/her self.
Might be better to look after its own citizens.

catnip
Guru

Post #33

Post by catnip »

Monta wrote: [Replying to post 30 by catnip]

"I would always vote for the most experienced, best qualified person regardless of any other issues. I would never be a single issue voter. That said, while I have not always been a fan of Hillary;s, she has a proven track record, she knows her way around Washington, she has been involved in politics all her life--even as a teen. If she is elected, I know with certainty that the country would remain fundamentally the same through her term of office."
Country would remain fundamentaly the same?
God help us.

Perhaps some new wars or keep bombing the bones of the old.
Perhaps we should ask Iraqis, Afganis,..too many names.. Hillary could throw few bombs on China and why not Russia. Every US President must make a name for h/her self.
Might be better to look after its own citizens.
I don't see any evidence that she is likely to do that, no basis for concern. And no, American presidents are not measured by their war mongering tendencies.

It was Bush who sent us to war against the Afgans and the Iraqis--or have you forgotten the trumped up evidence he and his cohorts cooked up to send us to war against Saddam? I haven't. If either candidate is liable to do something like that, it IS Trump.

Monta
Guru

Post #34

Post by Monta »

[Replying to catnip]

Don't you think they are all much the same?

Trump appears to be different. He says it as he sees it.

Wasn't Hillary responsible for ruining Libya?
Which Western country has free education and interest free home loans?
None that I know of but Libya had it.

2Dbunk
Site Supporter

Post #35

Post by 2Dbunk »

[Replying to Monta]

You can say this about Donald Trump: He has an open mind, kinda like a trash can without a lid -- he spits out rhetoric that others throw in.
What good is truth if its value is not more than unproven, handed-down faith?

One believes things because one is conditioned to believe them. -Aldous Huxley

Fear within the Religious will always be with them ... as long as they are fearful of death.

Monta
Guru

Post #36

Post by Monta »

[Replying to 2Dbunk]

You know the old saying, better the devil you know
than the devil you don't know.

( appologies to Mr. Trump)

KenRU
Guru

Post #37

Post by KenRU »

Monta wrote: [Replying to 2Dbunk]

You know the old saying, better the devil you know
than the devil you don't know.

( appologies to Mr. Trump)
But let's not forget the obvious fact that both are indeed devils.
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." -Steven Weinberg

2Dbunk
Site Supporter

Post #38

Post by 2Dbunk »

[Replying to post 36 by KenRU]

Which devil can make the government work again (especially if she wins the house and senate in this debacle of an election)? Hopefully one house will be enough.

Trump has alienated congressional men and women from both parties and, if president, he may take the unprecedented step of abolishing the two houses (with the blessing of many people in this country), if they won't give him what he wants. Shades of the Third Reich are on the horizon.
What good is truth if its value is not more than unproven, handed-down faith?

One believes things because one is conditioned to believe them. -Aldous Huxley

Fear within the Religious will always be with them ... as long as they are fearful of death.

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #39

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

2Dbunk wrote: [Replying to post 36 by KenRU]

Which devil can make the government work again (especially if she wins the house and senate in this debacle of an election)? Hopefully one house will be enough.

Trump has alienated congressional men and women from both parties and, if president, he may take the unprecedented step of abolishing the two houses (with the blessing of many people in this country), if they won't give him what he wants. Shades of the Third Reich are on the horizon.
Republicans made it very clear during Obama's time in office that they would do everything in their power to keep his Presidency from being successful. Even if that meant blocking legislation that was clearly in the best interests of the country.

Republicans in fact introduced impeachment articles against Obama in the House of Representatives:
ARTICLE 1 – Usurpation of the Oval Office via criminal identity fraud (Birther charges)
ARTICLE 2 - Malfeasance , misconduct and abuse of the Oval Office (Use of Presidential Executive Order. Obama has so far averaged 33.6 uses of executive order per year during his administration. George W Bush averaged 44.5. Ronald Reagan averaged 47.6. No impeachment charges were brought.)
ARTICLE 3 - Aiding and Abetting known enemies of the United States (Obama implemented policies in his dealings with foreign nations that Republicans opposed. Note* President Obama was also awarded the Nobel prize for peace. No article of impeachment was brought against him for this offence however.)

Republicans attempted to impeach and convict the previous Democratic President, William Jefferson Clinton, who was twice duly elected by popular vote and a majority of the Electoral College, as well.

And now some Republicans are openly arguing for and promoting succession from the United States of America.

Wikipedia
Treason
In law, treason is the crime that covers some of the more extreme acts against one's nation or sovereign.

Outside legal spheres, the word "traitor" may also be used to describe a person who betrays (or is accused of betraying) his own political party, nation, family, friends, ethnic group, team, religion, social class, or other group to which he may belong.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treason

This I would suggest, applies to many Republicans.
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

catnip
Guru

Post #40

Post by catnip »

Monta wrote: [Replying to catnip]

Don't you think they are all much the same?

Trump appears to be different. He says it as he sees it.

Wasn't Hillary responsible for ruining Libya?
Which Western country has free education and interest free home loans?
None that I know of but Libya had it.
Would you care to offer up a source for this claim?

Maybe you could find it here by searching for Libya: http://www.factcheck.org/search/

And, just in case, perhaps you could find it in this list: http://www.factcheck.org/2016/06/trumps ... character/